RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   New to the Rc and forum world advice please (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/513600-new-rc-forum-world-advice-please.html)

Ghostryder675 10-29-2014 09:01 AM

New to the Rc and forum world advice please

Ok so i have an actual Jeep wrangler that i rock crawl with and i wanted an rc one as well since i discovered that there was such a thing. Well i finally got one and my first one is this Axail Wraith Rock racer. Within first 5 minutes of wheeling it i stripped out the stock servo... Replaced it with one that won't strip out supposably ran about $60 and is waterproof. Now after a couple of days out heeling with it i burnt up the stock motor... I am rough on all my toys. So now i am overwhelmed with the amount of info on motors gears and sorry for my ignorance but what does esc stand for?? I don't race it but i wheel it on rocks and rock piles and basically anything that looks challenging. So my questions would be what motor recommendations gearing should i get and also am i gonna need to get a different battery than the 2 cell lipo i have now??? Please dumb it down for me as much as you can i learn quick but like i said the info is overwhelming and all the cool new shiny stuff i can put on it my brain is already fried with stuff i want... So first of all what do i need to get running reliable again i don't wanna break real quick i like to replace with quality and an upgrade..

Hope this is in the right place

and thanks for the info in advance"thumbsup"

allanon1965 10-29-2014 09:24 AM

Re: New to the Rc and forum world advice please

ESC stands for electronic speed control, in a nutshell, get yourself a holmes hobbies torquemaster pro or expert 35t motor and you can use your stock ESC. Stay with your 2s lipo for now...change the pinion gear to a 14t gear if you stay with the 48p spur gear. you can swap out to a 32p spur and pinion, in which case you would want to go with 56t spur and a 10-12t pinion depending on your preference.

You may need to add in a BEC for your steering servo if its torque is over 200oz or so
I would upgrade to beeftubes and aluminum knuckles,chubs and lockouts..strc is a pretty decent brand....
steering links changed to aluminum, or stainless steel..many vendors have these...
front and rear links either aluminum or stainless steel, avoid the ones that have the pivot balls built in, use ones with replaceable ends.
get a set of MIP driveshafts and be done with that...
replace the internal trans gears with HR steel gears
convert the wheels from pin hubs to hex hubs

as you run it more you will want to do other upgrades such as going with a brushless setup and 3s lipos..universal joint axles...shocks..etc....

o0wiz0o 10-29-2014 09:27 AM

I could offer my two pence but it said much much better in the Stickies at the top of this forum. :) You bought a great truck.

I run a 27 turn motor though for reference. :)

sic1to 10-29-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 4931069)
ESC stands for electronic speed control, in a nutshell, get yourself a holmes hobbies torquemaster pro or expert 35t motor and you can use your stock ESC. Stay with your 2s lipo for now...change the pinion gear to a 14t gear if you stay with the 48p spur gear. you can swap out to a 32p spur and pinion, in which case you would want to go with 56t spur and a 10-12t pinion depending on your preference.

You may need to add in a BEC for your steering servo if its torque is over 200oz or so
I would upgrade to beeftubes and aluminum knuckles,chubs and lockouts..strc is a pretty decent brand....
steering links changed to aluminum, or stainless steel..many vendors have these...
front and rear links either aluminum or stainless steel, avoid the ones that have the pivot balls built in, use ones with replaceable ends.
get a set of MIP driveshafts and be done with that...
replace the internal trans gears with HR steel gears

as you run it more you will want to do other upgrades such as going with a brushless setup and 3s lipos..universal joint axles...shocks..etc....

x2!

Ghostryder675 10-29-2014 10:57 AM

hey thanks for the info i will get on that immediately!! But um..... what is a bec???

TacoCrawler 10-29-2014 11:05 AM

battery eliminator circuit...

my preference/ie: Castle Creations | CC BEC and CC BEC Pro

sic1to 10-29-2014 11:06 AM

Holmes Hobbies LLC
It is used to regulate voltage to your servo in most cases to assure max torque at all times not pulling juice from esc. I run a bec on all my rigs!

zjguy721 10-29-2014 11:35 AM

You do this long enough, you wind up being an electrical engineer ;)
I would suggest investing in a good soldering iron and learn how, you're going to need it =)

LooseMoose1978 10-29-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 4931069)

Is there a write up on how to do this conversion?

allanon1965 10-29-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LooseMoose1978 (Post 4931201)
Is there a write up on how to do this conversion?

nope, not that I have seen,
just install 12mm wraith hexes over the existing pins, easy as that. then you can run any 12mm hex wheel...the stock poison spyder wheels will need the pin hubs changed out to hex hubs from VP or other aftermarkets that will fit..

LooseMoose1978 10-29-2014 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=allanon1965;4931069]

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 4931211)
nope, not that I have seen,
just install 12mm wraith hexes over the existing pins, easy as that. then you can run any 12mm hex wheel...the stock poison spyder wheels will need the pin hubs changed out to hex hubs from VP or other aftermarkets that will fit..

Ok, thanks. I was a bit confused by the pins/setup of the poison spyder wheels.

PSH72 10-29-2014 03:59 PM

Sorry for asking this, since this threat isnt mine, but do we have to use a bec when we have a 2S lipo and a non digital servo our even with digital servos we have to use the bec?

sic1to 10-29-2014 04:23 PM

"YES"You need a bec on everything IMO! 2s-6s don't matter its a must on most servos even stock to get the most torque plus keep from causing power loss to other components since battery is running motor,esc,lights,winch etc...some esc's come with internal bec's but don't set voltage to one or more servo's,winches,lights blah blah blah so when reading the STICKY'S(electronics,newbie,general,scx,wraith,etc ... at the top of any forum page will answer almost any question you have & SEARCH will complete any answer! "thumbsup"

Odinthor 10-29-2014 05:33 PM

Dont sweat it, we've all been in your shoes, utterly confused and overwhelmed by the choices in front of us. You'll get there! Next thing you know, you'll be advising one of your friends on something RC and have this moment of "Hey wait. I actually know what im talking about now!" :ror:

The advice given here so far is A+ quality, so I dont have much to add outright. As for this question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH72 (Post 4931376)
Sorry for asking this, since this threat isnt mine, but do we have to use a bec when we have a 2S lipo and a non digital servo our even with digital servos we have to use the bec?

Do you HAVE to? As in, 'will my shit break if I dont', is no. When I first got my digital servo, the BECs were out of stock everywhere within a 100 mile radius of me. I actually ran it a few times (though admitedly very carefully and gently) before I got a Castle Creations BEC like was linked above. Ive run mine off 2S LiPo from day one without issues.

Suffice to say, you dont NEED one to survive, but it certainly will help a lot. Much in the same way that you dont NEED a bulletproof vest to survive getting shot, but it sure helps alot ;)