Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Simple noob questions on a stock Wraith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Question Simple noob questions on a stock Wraith.

Hey all, I have a stock wraith and I was planning some possible upgrades for the future, but I want to see if there are any secrets to the whole set up I'm missing as this is my first crawler.

This is my list so far:
VP 8pc Ti Links
VP Zero Ackermann Racing Arms
VP Zero Ackermann Tie Rod
VP Ti Drag Link
VP Stage One Kit
AMF Racing Aluminum Panels all around, including diff protector w/ pinion wrap.

Possible:
VP VVD Axle Shafts
VP Q-Series Lights

The links I'm sure are idiot-proof, but with the Zero Ackermann parts and the knuckles, will there be any rubbing on the stock tires and wheels? I heard there would be and would need either VP Wheels or wider hexes.

Will I need any other parts than i listed to install and properly use those parts?

With the possibles list, would I need anything extra with the VVDs?

And if anyone has them, how do you like the Q-Series? I can't find many pics or vids of them working at night.

Many thanks, I appreciate it.
Shandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Simple noob questions on a stock Wraith.

You be just fine with that list but I personally like blue monkey links & steering! Nothing wrong with vp but bm has high clearance lowers & better steering linkhttp://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_92&products_id=235. You can also save a few $$$ with Axial universals that are very strong. Instead of stage 1 vp ya may want to get scale chubs & knuckles(especially chubs they clamp on axle which dont work loose like others)
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
You be just fine with that list but I personally like blue monkey links & steering! Nothing wrong with vp but bm has high clearance lowers & better steering linkhttp://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_92&products_id=235. You can also save a few $$$ with Axial universals that are very strong. Instead of stage 1 vp ya may want to get scale chubs & knuckles(especially chubs they clamp on axle which dont work loose like others)
I appreciate the advice and the link. I was going more with VP as I may be able to use a coupon at a LHS.

The Zero Ackermann arms and tie rod are supposed to give extra clearance over the standard tierod. It seems to require their knuckles, which is cheaper to get as the Stage One kit. I was also going with the VVDs as they are rebuildable and have seen people posting about axials failing early.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Np! Stage 1 is cheaper but you will need beeftubes with just two lil screws holding chubs on! The plastic housing will strip out. So it is easier & better to get scale chubs & you can still run ackerman setup...the Axial unis work great & take much abuse trust me just set end points on steering correctly! Go with bm for links they have steering for ackerman also & more clearance. BESIDES you will use that coupon soon enough on other mods.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I double ++ the Blue Monkey links and tie rod, just look at the bends and you will see the bends are better and the tie rod doesn't rub your diff cover.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Np! Stage 1 is cheaper but you will need beeftubes with just two lil screws holding chubs on! The plastic housing will strip out. So it is easier & better to get scale chubs & you can still run ackerman setup...the Axial unis work great & take much abuse trust me just set end points on steering correctly! Go with bm for links they have steering for ackerman also & more clearance. BESIDES you will use that coupon soon enough on other mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I double ++ the Blue Monkey links and tie rod, just look at the bends and you will see the bends are better and the tie rod doesn't rub your diff cover.
That makes sense. The zero ackermann from VP seems to be raised away far off the diff cover. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

Anyone have any experience with the Q Series lights from VP?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

The links I'm sure are idiot-proof, but with the Zero Ackermann parts and the knuckles, will there be any rubbing on the stock tires and wheels? I heard there would be and would need either VP Wheels or wider hexes.

I did the VP stage one and the drag link rubbed on the stock wheels. I took the wheel chucked it up in my drill and with the drum sander bit in my Drexel I made a 45 degree chamfer on the inside of the wheel to clear the drag link. I later upgraded to Gearhead cac wheels which clear just fine.
Lambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo1 View Post

I did the VP stage one and the drag link rubbed on the stock wheels. I took the wheel chucked it up in my drill and with the drum sander bit in my Drexel I made a 45 degree chamfer on the inside of the wheel to clear the drag link. I later upgraded to Gearhead cac wheels which clear just fine.
I appreciate the response. I may just have to grab some nice offset wheels or get wider hexes as have been suggested to me. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

Sounds like you have a great list going on. I tossed the stock wheels long ago and run Mayhem Engineering. My opinion is there the best double beadlocks on the market hands down. I have three sets of 2.2 and one set of 1.9. You will shred a tire before losing a bead. I run vp titanium links and steering on all my rigs because I have not had a single issue one. For the vvds I just broke a set, but we're abused as well from multiple g6 events and huge power on 3s. If your going to be running brushed motors then they will hold up fine. As for the axial HD universals they will live as well. I've only broke one set of those twisted the long shaft in three pieces.
usv568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by usv568 View Post
Sounds like you have a great list going on. I tossed the stock wheels long ago and run Mayhem Engineering. My opinion is there the best double beadlocks on the market hands down. I have three sets of 2.2 and one set of 1.9. You will shred a tire before losing a bead. I run vp titanium links and steering on all my rigs because I have not had a single issue one. For the vvds I just broke a set, but we're abused as well from multiple g6 events and huge power on 3s. If your going to be running brushed motors then they will hold up fine. As for the axial HD universals they will live as well. I've only broke one set of those twisted the long shaft in three pieces.
I may catch some flak for this, but, how am I able to tell which hub size I need? Is there a certain one I need to get? And the wheel width as well? Do these have enough of an offset or will I need new wheel hexes?

Simple noob questions on a stock Wraith. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith stock ESC questions Robchinchilla Axial Wraith 2 01-11-2013 05:00 AM
Noob to R/C with Wraith and Questions SoCal_80 Axial Wraith 16 04-08-2012 07:27 PM
A few simple LCC questions HurricaneSpike Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 11-29-2011 09:08 PM
2 simple questions...that i am sure have been answered before :( avoidsthelight 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 09-09-2010 11:59 AM