Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Track Ready Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Track Ready Wraith

I know 4S and big power is nothing new here, but It's been a while since I ran anything over 10mph and it was time to build something a bit...faster. Since we have a racetrack next to our crawler course, thought it would be nice to have something fast too.

I built one of these before, but it was kind of a temporary thing. This rig eventually became my 1.9 "3/4 Wraith" Basically took it out and beat on it to see how it would handle with plans on rebuilding it later. Common sense says a solid axle Wraith will handle speeds like a dump truck, but it actually fared pretty well, even with a taller stance and crawler tires. With a little more emphasis on the "go fast" part, I think this version will fare much better and will be entertaining if nothing else.

But I had fun with it, so I thought I'd do another. This one's for keeps!

So, started with a new Wraith kit and a bunch of parts that were laying around from previous builds. Keeping it budget friendly (that's how they all start ) My first one had some serious QC issues - this one did as well. Note the nub sticking out where the screw that holds the lower link should be. Pin must have stuck during the molding process. Had to cut it off and drill it out....would be a total show stopper for a new kit builder.

Looking closely, you can see a lot of flashing around the teeth...I trimmed it off, but the gear itself is a bit out of round. I've built a lot of Axial kits, first time I've run into this. In the interest of science, going to run it till it explodes. It's pretty crunchy, might not take long. Might last, who knows.

In any case, on with the show. Axles were built with open diffs, CVD's a few fancy-pants links, and heavier duty C's. Will be using a servo saver up front ilo a servo horn.

Castle 4-pole SC motor should do just fine. MIP's too...the WB shafts usually work very well for me, but not here.

Added a bit of aluminum bits here and there in the chassis to stiffen things up. Color didn't matter, bought wherever I could find them on sale or discounted. Really makes a difference, chassis is rock solid where it needs to be, but still flexes up top for the occasional rollover. Run these parts on all three of my Wraiths now.

Stock Wraith shocks, with the variable pistons (Nice feature out of the box BTW) internal limiters, and short rod ends. Oh, and a lb of green slime on the seals. Want a low stance here, so every bit helps. Like that the kit still has the TiNi coating on the shafts. All in all, nothing fancy, these will do just fine for now.

More to come.....

Last edited by OSRC; 11-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Track Ready Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Looking closely, you can see a lot of flashing around the teeth...I trimmed it off, but the gear itself is a bit out of round. I've built a lot of Axial kits, first time I've run into this. In the interest of science, going to run it till it explodes. It's pretty crunchy, might not take long. Might last, who knows.

More to come.....
I had a simlar notchy/out of round bottom drive gear on a trans I was assembling from assorted spare parts till I found the M2 screws I was using for the outdrives had just slightly too large an OD on the head, it was actually enough to push the gear out of shape. I only found it with the case apart & rotating the gears to see the tight spot was as the screw passed the middle gear. Maybe this is the same problem.
A quick lick with a Dremel sanding drum to the outside of the screw & it was fixed. (Plastic gears since replaced by HR steel anyway )
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know what you are taking about, and no, no the case here. This gear was deformed from the get go! It's actually concave on the tooth surface before I mounted it up. I have an aluminum gear here, but again, in the interest of science curious to see how long it lasts. I've never blown a plastic gear yet, but quite sure this is going to be the first. Good excuse to upgrade later.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

what brand aluminum chassis parts are you using? I've only used the strc stuff chassis wise. And other than them being a little flashy they have seemed to do just fine thus far
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Oh and what kv is that motor. I've done a 5700 that was ordered by mistake and it is crazy. Now i just use it for foff style stuff.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Cheap Integy stuff. The motor is a Castle 3800 4 pole/sidewinder combo.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Subscribed for future updates. Nice build. I used the factory shocks and a lowering kit for my higher speed wraith. Gives it a nice low cog but still has full suspension travel.
DTB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Looking forward to seeing more of this build. Looks great so far
Troublekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm building my 2nd Wraith and it has the same quality issues you mentioned and photographed

Love your Wraith - mine will be primarily for crawling - added a 14/87 pinion/spur and 35T motor

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I bought a wraith kit last week, my skid & bottom gear came with the same problems as yours. Was your chassis pretty warped as well?
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Chassis was warped a bit on all three of mine - it straightens out once you fully assemble it.

This is mostly assembled at this point...Front set-up...servo is tucked way up there:

Rear:

A go fast Wraith should have some go-fast wheels! Wanted a lower profile tire combo for better handling....and frankly something different from all the 2.2 set-ups. These look they will do just fine. Seller shipped me Slash wheels ilo a set of Slash 4x4 so the front track is slightly wider. Works fine for me though. Sitting at ride height:

It's not nearly as drastic as it looks in the pic, just the angle.

Got a set of badlands ready too just for kicks. My go-to off road tire.

Chassis-wise, it's ready to to test run. As far as the body, going with the kit panels and just waiting on a Spawn interior, will be perfect for this rig due to its light weight. Don't need anything super scale either. Might be waiting a while though.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Those quality issues are inexcusable for a company and a product that has been around for as long as it has! That's something you'd expect from companies that make clones.

This thing looks great and I'm sure it will be a blast. That tire and wheel combo is awesome and it looks perfect on the Wraith!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Chassis-wise, it's ready to to test run. As far as the body, going with the kit panels and just waiting on a Spawn interior, will be perfect for this rig due to its light weight. Don't need anything super scale either. Might be waiting a while though.
The HPI Apache interior fits as well, might be worth looking in to.

HPI107371
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Did, sold out everywhere I looked. No biggie, with snow season coming i'm in no particular hurry. Got plenty to work on in the meantime!

Track Ready Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Garden Track . Jacksprogis Axial Wraith 7 01-31-2013 07:19 PM
Wraith back at indoor SC track Speedweigand Axial Wraith 0 10-20-2011 02:42 PM