Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Boys new wraith has steering but glitchy throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Boys new wraith has steering but glitchy throttle

My boys wraith showed up for Christmas and I've been working on making it ready for the big morning. I installed a cc bec and disconnected the red wire from the throttle channel at the receiver, bec is plugged into channel four and I moved the light controller to channel three, and the bec is set as it came from the factory.

I plugged in the battery and the lights come on I guess the bec is feeding the rx correctly, I turn on the transmitter, I throw the switch and get the start up tones from the esc, I check the steering throw it's working fine, I then give it some throttle it travels a little ways and starts to stutter and act glitchy with the lights on the rig flashing with each throttle input. And forget about reverse, I can use the trim knob for the throttle on the transmitter and get it to roll forward.

The one thing that I came up with is maybe the battery is bad, it's and older ni-mh with the tamiya plug that I just grabbed to try, I disconnected it and checked the voltage with the multimeter it was 8.0v. Now the steering is great with this battery no issues there at all, just the throttle inputs. I need to run and grab some male deans plugs and wire one in so I can try a newer lipo to eliminate the battery as a possibility.

What am I missing? What do you think the issue is?
Thanks
npcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Boys new wraith has steering but glitchy throttle

I'd guess loose/bad connection, broken wire or cold solder joint, but swap the battery first since that's easiest. Just saw this on a friend's Wraith over the weekend but unsure which bec he's running and it didn't start happening until an hour into crawling.

Sent from the outer limits using alien technology
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

This is an issue I had. For me at least, it was the Receiver. I use Flysky stuff and occasionally the CH2 gets a little glitchy. Swap it out and reprogram.

What are you using for a Transmitter / Receiver?
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah this is an rtr the ar3 rx, I learned of and attempted the esc calibration since it was free and the lhs isn't open yet this morning to get the deans plugs. Still no bueno! Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by npcaldwell; 11-17-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok did some more searching I think I'm browning out, I'm not sure what the esc's low voltage cutoff is set to but I'm guessing the 5.0v factory preset on the bec is not enough to run the whole system. What is the bec in the factory ae2 esc set to? How high can I set the bec voltage without frying the factory rx or servo?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

5v and not changeable. Get a $4 hobbywing 3a 5-6v bec off eBay, set to 6v, follow the instructions on wiring, and you should be set.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ok I got to the bottom of it but first the rest of the story.

So I plugged the bec into castle link and bumped the setting up to 6.0v all tht did was make the servo a touch quicker still didn't fix the throttle issue. So I put it back where I started.

Next I plugged the esc into castle link and removed the low voltage cutoff and tried it again still nothing. So I set it back to auto.

I then broke down and went to town and bought some deans connectors and soldered one in, hooked up my 3s lipo and...it's fixed!

Moral of the story the most likely problem is usually the problem, the batteries I tried first were three years old and shot I guess, even though they still showed 8.0v. The other little rig they were used in has also been glitchy and I thought it was a radio or esc issue, looks like a new battery will fix that little crawler as well.

Thanks help guys
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Glad it was an easy fix in the end. Makes sense for my friend's Wraith as well since the battery had run down; I'll let him know.

Boys new wraith has steering but glitchy throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help. Throttle controlling throttle and steering andneverexhale Electronics 6 08-21-2014 07:46 PM
Glitchy Throttle? Europort Axial Wraith 10 03-07-2014 04:13 PM
Stock Wraith. Steering works. No throttle. Matt Wright Axial Wraith 18 11-28-2012 03:56 PM
RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix waterboij23 Axial SCX-10 3 08-17-2012 02:24 AM
stock Wraith ESC steering but no throttle boulder Electronics 28 11-21-2011 02:35 AM