Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cappu Wraith axle review (Shaken down)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cappu Wraith axle review (Shaken down)

After bending my last hinge pin on my wrexo, the exo ifs met the trash and I was left looking for a solid axle replacement. I decided to try the cappu rc axial wraith axles after comparing prices with new stock axles. For the price of a set of new axial takeoffs and universals I got these, although at a glance they would appear to be integy rebrands there are a number of features that make me think it isn't.

Here is the listing where I bought them, I paid $169.99 + $15 s/h, I placed the order on the 14th of November and got it today (20th).

Here is the front axle right out of the bag, the wheel hexes pins and nuts came in a separate small bag, hexes are similar to slash fronts except steel, and everything fits together quite nicely. The axle features universals clockable c hubs and steel gears.
I cracked the front cover off, and no surprise not a hint of grease, I was expecting to have to shim the heck out of it too, but the mesh of all the gears is very good right out of the box. Its also worth noting that the mesh is consistent around a full rotation, no slack spots or binds of any sort.

More of the same in the rear, these come with "steel" gears and lockers and I am inclined to believe them, however the lockers have just as much slop as stock axial units, perhaps more durable though.

Here is the test rig under construction, it will feature a mamba max pro, roc 412 3100kv mip driveshafts etc. In addition to lockedup rc wheels, tsl xl tires and ci foams.

Updates as soon as the rig is running, this thread will serve as a long term durability test as well. Wish me luck

Last edited by MattTheGenus; 11-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cappu Wraith axle review (first impressions)

Nice, I have seen those before. Dog bones, universals or CVDs?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Nice, I have seen those before. Dog bones, universals or CVDs?
They call them universals, but the really seem to be a cvd

Here is a comparison shot between the cappu axle with the cvd and stock axial wraith axles with axial universals
Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Shakedown run complete, or should I say shake apart Needless to say if you choose to purchase these axles factor in the cost of some thread lock. I lost three c hub screws and all 4 grub screws holding on the lockouts started to wiggle loose.

Two minutes into my run I slid the thing off a cliff, damn mmp is being inconsistent with the drag brake and off it went. This is the same spot I rolled off with the exo front end and bent a hinge pin into a U shape. Spot the crawler...

And the result, I don't blame the axle for this.

However you can now see one of the main issues with these axles, the hex hub is extended about 1/8 in away from the bearing. I can't help but think that even if these axles were made of good steel that much gap would allow enough leverage to tweak it.

Here is a comparison shot with a standard axial shaft, the axial shaft fit right in, with no issues.

I also put narrower hexes all around, with the wide hexes there isn't enough axle sticking out to grab the nylon on standard lock nuts. I hated the red diff covers too, so I threw one of these on, again no fitment issues.

Testing will resume, overall I'm not dazzled so far, but I'm not unhappy either. I'll tighten everything up and head out again this weekend, if you have any questions ask away.

Last edited by MattTheGenus; 11-21-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cappu Wraith axle review (Shaken down)

When everything is thight, the hex or should have a smaller diameter that touches the inner race of the bearing, to reduce the chance of the axle bending like it did. You can buy 5mm shim (durango, tamiya, yokomo...) to fill the space between the hex and the inner race of the bearing. This also remove the sideway slop of the axle. 5mm shim are a must to shim diff, spurgear, wheel to remove slop. Less the free play (witout being too tight), the longer the life of the components!

It is good to know that the stock partz can be used!

Threadlock is your friend on metal parts. I use the gel permatex one, always stay a little stciky without drying like the liquid one. I even spread some on my toast in the morning!!! Lolll We beat on these machines,

I'm following this thead!
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

I bought a set of these axles and am disappointed, because I only ran my Wraith for 10 minutes before all four axles bent. I don't think the shafts are hardened. They are sending me another set, but I'm not happy about spending this much money on such shotty work. But, you get what you pay for.
HILLBILLY 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Yeah I had a similar prob, but when they sent me another set it didn't happen. Maybe just a dud set
ur4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So basically you guys are saying with these the only downfall is the shafts themselves? How's the quality of the housings themselves?
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Just a quick update, I sheered off a front axle. I'm not happy at all about the circumstances either, it shouldn't have broken. Less than 5000 mah total through them so far, I'm calling the axle shafts a heap of shit. We'll see about the housings...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What part broke and how
Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsputnikx View Post
What part broke and how
Well finally got some time to tear it down and inspect the damage, upon disassemble here is what greeted me at the cvd end. Needless to say I obliterated it, I have never broken an axial driveshaft.

Now I was about to call it there and post it, but upon further inspection the end that slides into the locker was rotated about 30 degrees!

I think the mandarin translation for hardened steel is warm margarine, the axle shafts themselves are terrible. I intend to replace these with axial universals, but all in all these have not held up well after two packs.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Wow... this good old saying u get what u pay for. I was hoping for these to do better
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The question is, did the housings bend? Axle shafts are shit, then replace with better ones who cares. My concern would be with the strength of the housings.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
The question is, did the housings bend? Axle shafts are shit, then replace with better ones who cares. My concern would be with the strength of the housings.
Replacing shafts adds cost though and these axles now have +- $240 tied up in them and that's a decent chunk of change.

No the housings did not bend, although I did strip a c-hub screw when installing my axial universals (they fit). To the best of my knowledge this happens with just about all axle housings though.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #15

Stay away from Cappu anything, I had bought 2 pairs of their CVDs for my 4 wheel steer Wraith. One set snapped on a single side hill roll over, not even a complete flip. Wraith just flopped on its side and my front wheel went rolling away, it snapped behind the hex so all the parts were still attached the the wheel when i caught up to it. Chalked it up to weird flip, changed it out and not one pack later was rolling backwards and spun it around to do a 180 turn and then one of the rears snapped in the same spot.

It looks like the metal they use on their stubs is not the same quality they use on the main axle.

Ive gone back to Axial universals and trying to get my hands on a set of the Vanquish VVds V2.
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

So glad I read this.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Cappu Wraith axle review (Shaken down) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cappu Aluminum Wraith parts?? jrowles91 Axial Wraith 11 06-30-2014 04:03 PM
LF Scale Yota Axle review Armistice General Crawlers 4 08-07-2012 04:16 PM
Blackwell axle review? mud digger 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 03-22-2012 08:48 PM
Holiday on the Rocks - Shaken & Stirred! prifral Scale Videos! 21 01-01-2012 09:17 PM