Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Jdircc's budget builder aid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jdircc's budget builder aid

So I've been part of the rc crawling community for awhile now and I've used tons of different brands on my wraith. Not because i wasn't satisfied with a brand or worried on price but because i enjoy testing products. With that said I have been doing a lot of reading on here and it seems everyone always aims to tell the newbs to get VP this get VP that. And i don't disagree one bit with that. If you want a quality precision part that is definitely gonna hold up through the abuse, do like i have done and give vp your checking account number lol.

But what about the people new to the hobby? Those on a budget? Or those building that super slow 55t crawling wraith for there kids first rig? I know i didn't want to put the big bucks in a rig my daughter wasn't gonna beat on like i do especially considering she's 3 lol. These thoughts made me want to do a thread on here with the God honest parts reviews, opinions and links to parts I've tried. And for this thread it will be specifically aimed towards the Wraith

As i said earlier i have tried tons of stuff from all brands on my wraith as well as different ranges of power from sow brushed to sc sensorless brushless motors that have no need being in a wraith unless you enjoy seeing the trail of parts and an empty wallet.

And before anyone replies to this with there "merica" comments about don't support un american companies blah blah, just save your little fingers the trouble and leave the thread. Im a proud supporter of anything american made, but as I said this is for the ballers on a budget and newbs.

Ok. Now to get to it. lets say you just picked up your wraith and ya jumped on here and read Harley's guides that are stickied. (which i highly recommend). Now your hyped up and want to buy some stuff to hop your rig up. From reading a lot of build threads and threads on issues people have the first thing most people want and the first thing i highly recommend replacing is the links. Uppers lowers and steering. Now since we all know Vp makes the nicest everything i won't bother with stating that in the lists below but ill give you the goods and the stay the he!! aways.

Links

Good:
Axial Racing aluminum links to me are definitely worth the buy. There is not a bad thing i can say about them thus far. And paired with some traxxas redo rod ends they're gonna last you forever.
Axial racing links= #Ax30797
Traxxas Revo ends=#TRA5347 or the jato ends for that little bit more wheel base TRA5525

Strc also is a good option. I haven't personally used them on my rig but my roommate runs them on his wraith with 5700kv power and haven't had one buckle yet or have a rod end give.

Bad
Topcad/ Integy: Stay away form these. I know they look all flashy and everything on the websites but the do not hold up well. The first issue is them being made with the rod end balls made to them and not adjustable or replaceable. I ran these on my wraith and even though they haven't bent or broke, they have enormous amounts of slop and rattle like crazy while driving. The slop also allows the axle housings to twist up causing stress on the pinion and driveshafts of the rig.

And there is always the diy option. The easiest of which is some 8-32 all thread and 1/4" brake tubing. But theres literally tons of ways to make your own and that search option at the top right of the thread will head you in the right directions for that route.

Knuckles and C hubs

Good
Hard to say this but honestly the integy and strc c's and knuckles hold up great. I know you will have someone tell you theres broke first run blah blah. But we all drive rigs like idioits at some point. or all the time like me:flip off: But anyway, i still have my integy knuckles front and rear on my wraith. i have ran them for close to a year on this particular rig and not had a single issue. No bad bearings broken arms. not even a bad screw hole. And i drive rough at times. I had an impact split break my front axl housing in the short side and it didn't hurt the knocks or c's at all The only downfall I've seen is the super flashy color, and the bushings they come with are horrible. Hit Dlux up for a set or 2 of the no slop bushings for the wraith ad your good to go.

Bad
Haven't really found any that i don't think would work or last you for a long time. Other than the factory plastic ones of course. And they still hold up to the torture for a bit.

The next thing most like to do if not the first is Beadlock wheels. There are quite a few brands that i would stand behind as far as functionality as well as look. The only one that I'm gonna mention here is due to how surprised I was to how they have lasted

Honorable mention
I purchased a set of the top cad 2.2 5 spokes in green just to try out because they were so cheap (like $23/ pair at the time). And I'm amazed at how well they work. I wrapped them with some Proline TSL SX's. THey were very easy to install and hold the beads very tight. The only issue I had was the rear ring screws would tap the knuckles when running. Easy fix used a wider traxxas hex and no issues thus far. (Ill round up that part number and throw it in soon)

Driveshafts

Good
MIP: The best period. Little pricey, but the down right work.
STRC: These are almost if not identical to the mips and if Im not mistaken the parts are interchangeable. So don't be afraid to click buy on these.
Junfac: These are a cheaper option and i was skeptical at first. But after running them in my 1.9 truggy and my wraith for a while they weren't that bad. Just remember to blue loctite your parts ( as i would recommend with any brand)
Integy: STAY AWAY FROM THESE. They may hold up for a super slow low torque crawler, but I wouldn't even waste my time trying these. Mine literally didn't last five minutes.:evil\

Lockers

Good
Locked Up Rc: The F.I. spools are amazing. Period.

Bad
VP: Yep thats right. The only thing they make that I've used and didn't like. They're sloppy when not using their brand axles and i had one break very quickly.

Axles

Good
Axial Universals are beast. i still haven't managed to break one. I have been hearing there are issues coming up with them but that it may be a machining error or something of that nature.

Ok so theres a good start to some parts opinions and the dirty on a few things. I plan on adding to this as a few others and I try other parts and beat on a few rigs etc. I do plan on editing this and adding links to these items as well as pics of them before and after use.

Feel free to put your 2 cents in here. You can ask any noob questions ya want lol. Ill help best I can. If i can't, Im sure another member can't point ya in the right direction. And if theres any other parts you want me to review let me know and ill see what i can do.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Jdircc's budget builder aid

Awesome post mate.i have just bought a wraith and done allitle research and found lots of people recommending vp products but started to think its going to be very expensive to upgrade my wraith,but then i found this which has answered alot of my questions.

One thing i would links to replace is the ball pivots that you press into all the links and bottom of shocks,as they dont seem to hold in the ends very well and my rigs brand new
mikef350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jdircc's budget builder aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef350 View Post
Awesome post mate.i have just bought a wraith and done allitle research and found lots of people recommending vp products but started to think its going to be very expensive to upgrade my wraith,but then i found this which has answered alot of my questions.

One thing i would links to replace is the ball pivots that you press into all the links and bottom of shocks,as they dont seem to hold in the ends very well and my rigs brand new
i would recommend the traxxas rod ends if you are running aluminum links of any sort. These rod ends really are top notch. let me know if ya have any other questions
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jdircc's budget builder aid - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JDIRCC's "The Ripper' rebuild JDIRCC Axial Wraith 0 08-27-2014 10:06 PM
Soldering Aid waggaclint Tools, and Procedures 7 03-22-2012 08:41 PM
I'm drinking the Kool-Aid!!! Bmr4life Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-12-2011 07:48 PM
stock wk to 12.5 WB need some aid BrandonW HPI Wheely King 10 06-13-2007 08:04 AM