Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: "Midnight Storm" going "Tin Gost" - a Wraith from Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Default "Midnight Storm" going "Tin Ghost" - a Wraith from Germany

G'day folks,
... it's about time I show off with some pictures of my Wraith.

The rig stated life as a bog-standard set-up with not-quite bog-standard airbrushed standard panels - hence the name "Midnight Storm".

However, after a year or so I found that I'm still driving and looking at a standard Wraith which is not that different from the umpteen other Wraiths one comes across at the meetings.
Just nice but not as mean as a Rock Racer should be.

So I started to look around a bit and the first thing that struck me was the future driver of this rig. He would not move the CoG too high (by absence of these Hulk-like muscles) and being dead already he is predestined for driving a vehicle of the Shadow World. Here you can see him relaxing on my workbench while giving me advice on how to continue:

As for the bodywork, the plastic panels simply had to go.
Building something with a short top or a fastback would just be "another one - again!" and besides - me being an official "Old F@rt" I still remember and like the silhouettes of some cars from the sixties and seventies - namely the steep-backed Volvo 1800ES and the Reliant Scimitar SE5. And when one looks at the Wraith at just the right angle and squints just the right amount, the "standard" tail looks just that bit like the Reliant ... so onto the workbench went a sheet of 0.5mm Aluminium (for the colleagues from "over the brine" that would be roughly 1/50" thick Aluminum) and, using the 567th mutation of a cardboard template, the tin snips went to work.

Then the cut sheet went on the Wraith cage and the tin-bashing commenced:

Some hours later, the result was nearly as I wanted it - including an opening hatch and hood (which was to hide the 2S LiPo battery, the LiPo warner and a 9V block battery for the lights):

By adding some more details (shovel on the LH side, towing strap on the RH side and sand ladders on the roof - all removable and ready for real use) plus the appropriate amount of dirt and rust (for the latter you need only patience - that was the hardest bit!) I now consider the transformation from "Midnight Storm" to "Tin Ghost" complete.

Judge for yourself, if you please:

Last edited by Tom the Kraut; 11-29-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Tom the Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Midnight Storm" going "Tin Gost" - a Wraith from Germany

Like....
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Cool and different !
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Kraut View Post
G'day folks,
... it's about time I show off with some pictures of my Wraith.

The rig stated life as a bog-standard set-up with not-quite bog-standard airbrushed standard panels - hence the name "Midnight Storm".

However, after a year or so I found that I'm still driving and looking at a standard Wraith which is not that different from the umpteen other Wraiths one comes across at the meetings.
Just nice but not as mean as a Rock Racer should be.

So I started to look around a bit and the first thing that struck me was the future driver of this rig. He would not move the CoG too high (by absence of these Hulk-like muscles) and being dead already he is predestined for driving a vehicle of the Shadow World. Here you can see him relaxing on my workbench while giving me advice on how to continue:

As for the bodywork, the plastic panels simply had to go.
Building something with a short top or a fastback would just be "another one - again!" and besides - me being an official "Old F@rt" I still remember and like the silhouettes of some cars from the sixties and seventies - namely the steep-backed Volvo 1800ES and the Reliant Scimitar SE5. And when one looks at the Wraith at just the right angle and squints just the right amount, the "standard" tail looks just that bit like the Reliant ... so onto the workbench went a sheet of 0.5mm Aluminium (for the colleagues from "over the brine" that would be roughly 1/50" thick Aluminum) and, using the 567th mutation of a cardboard template, the tin snips went to work.

Then the cut sheet went on the Wraith cage and the tin-bashing commenced:

Some hours later, the result was nearly as I wanted it - including an opening hatch and hood (which was to hide the 2S LiPo battery, the LiPo warner and a 9V block battery for the lights):

By adding some more details (shovel on the LH side, towing strap on the RH side and sand ladders on the roof - all removable and ready for real use) plus the appropriate amount of dirt and rust (for the latter you need only patience - that was the hardest bit!) I now consider the transformation from "Midnight Storm" to "Tin Ghost" complete.

Judge for yourself, if you please:

Completely different from any thing I've seen,pretty cool! Nice work!
rance.lee.73 is offline   Reply With Quote

"Midnight Storm" going "Tin Gost" - a Wraith from Germany - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
"midnight express" wraith build. flierwantstocrawl Axial Wraith 10 02-17-2012 04:17 PM