Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Just another PS Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Just another PS Wraith

So, for my wife's birthday in early November I bought her a Poison Spider Wraith. She really wanted a Jeep YJ to look like her old 87 we wheeled when Paragon Adventure Park was open. The only option I found was to get a Tamiya YJ but wanted something more capable so I talked her into a Wraith. (This really is more for me to modify than anything!)

I have a Summit and love it. Here they are together.

LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Just another PS Wraith

When we decided on the Wraith, I started doing lots of reading on here as well as wheeling it on rocks and knew I needed to move the battery forward, change gearing as the motor got real hot in short time. I also wanted to mod the wheels for flex, and add LED lighting at the minimum.

Started with moving the battery up front. I run SMC 2S Lipo's, 5000 mah. Hinged the hood on the firewall crossmember and added a couple hood pins and a rubber band to hold the clips.

I also widened the track width with the included hub spacers. Also removed the foam from the tires and adjusted the air holes to all 3 open.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Changed gearing to 87T spur and 14T pinion keeping the 48p setup for now. Went with a RR pinion and stock spur. I also modified the driveshafts by replacing the male splines with the female sections and inserting the male with a collar to keep it centered. Moving the battery up front allowed me to move the ESC and radio box out back. Ended up getting another battery tray and installed the radio box and ESC in that. I put an aluminum deck over them to clean it up.

Was looking at different ideas...

Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

As well as...

Just didn't look right...

Ended up with a flat piece of aluminum for a rear deck.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ended up with this...for now!

Also moved the ESC on/off switch to the console between the seat backs and added a light switch below.

Added 4 headlights...

4 tail lights...

Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Added 4 rock lights and 2 amber interior lights.

Out in the rocks...

Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What's better PS wraith or summit?
Nice rig btw !
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I think the Wraith. Both need some money investing but out of the box the Wraith is better at climbing. The Summit is very rear heavy and spends a lot of time like a upturned turtle. Also you need twice the amount of battery packs for the Summit which can be expensive. I sold my Summit and bought another Wraith. (Wraith is far more Scale to).
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

looken good
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys.

As far as what's better..thats subjective. I really like the Summit a lot. Hi/Low and selectable lockers is awesome. Problem is it really just crawls over pretty much anything. I do like the wraith too. It crawls awesome now and is much more realistic in my mind. Downside to the Summit is the size. It's long and heavy if you need/want to carry it much. I don't mind the 2 battery setup on the Summit because I already have 6 lipos all the same. I also have a Dominus 10SCv2 and my wife runs an Invictus 10MT, so we have the 2s lipos for them as well.

As for the Wraith being a better climber out of the box than the Summit...not sure I agree with that. The Wraith spent a lot of time on it's roof and the motor got very hot to the touch until I made just a few mods. Now, I do think it is a better crawler than the Summit when the obstacles are comparable in size to the buggy. Overall very happy with both!