Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: brushed motor question for wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default brushed motor question for wraith

I have done some looking and havnt really found the answer so to move my decision along alittle faster I figured I would just ask the group.

so I have a poison spider wraith .. was rtr .. now has sv3 esc and I was going to run a titan 21 550 motor {what I ran in my scx10} but thinking its not the best
I put the stock 20t and esc in my scx10 and it screams now .. way faster than the 21 titan{wich had 23t pinion and axial motor has stock 20t} weird

I guess I let the titan sit after last water run and its junk now .. so sence I have to get a new motor any way ... what is a good motor that has same speed as stock axial 20t and more grund for the rocks .. I will be running 2 s and 3 s

second .. what is better to use for all around .. 2s or 3s

and yes I will switch to 32p gears .
I already orderd junfac drive shafts

thanks for the help in advance
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: brushed motor question for wraith

The 20t motor was a poor choice out of the box, it overheats too easily and even better quality brushed motors are going to have similar results in a rig like the wraith. Honestly to keep or improve top end, you have to go brushless for good results.

Otherwise, a 27t motor or the equivalent is the best bet. This can all be found in the sticky at the top of this page.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have an sv3 and an hpi 27t in mine. If you're looking for speed this is not the way to go. 27t needs too much gear to be fast. Granted its not walking pace at full throttle but its not racing speed. Definitely brushless if you want high speed and cool temps
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I guess I should specify speed .. around the same speed as stock .. i do water and mud from time to time and don't want brushless because of that and what the cost would be to go waterproof brushless sensered

are motors like the hh crawlmaster {79$ one ish} 20t that much better than stock .. that's at the max i want to spend but will if it will last and perform

again i am looking for something around stock speed and with alittle more trq .. i looked at the sticky but couldn't find anything that described what i am looking for.

i do mainly trail runs / creeks / some crawling but when i do cralw its in the middle of a trail run anyway .. never dedicated crawling
thanks again
Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2fast View Post
what is a good motor that has same speed as stock axial 20t and more grund for the rocks .. I will be running 2 s and 3 s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Honestly to keep or improve top end, you have to go brushless for good results.
I think Harley hits it on the head. If you want the same speed as stock and dependability, brushless is the way to go.

The stock 20t is misleading, it goes fast until it wears the brushes or comm out fast then they die.
To get that kind of wheel speed out of a brushed motor means getting low turn brushed motors and gearing them appropriately (this is where the PIA comes in, gearing.)
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have a sensored novak esc and 5000kv in my Wraith. It is plenty fast on a 2s.
cotyhamlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2fast View Post
I guess I should specify speed .. around the same speed as stock .. i do water and mud from time to time and don't want brushless because of that and what the cost would be to go waterproof brushless sensered

are motors like the hh crawlmaster {79$ one ish} 20t that much better than stock .. that's at the max i want to spend but will if it will last and perform

again i am looking for something around stock speed and with alittle more trq .. i looked at the sticky but couldn't find anything that described what i am looking for.

i do mainly trail runs / creeks / some crawling but when i do cralw its in the middle of a trail run anyway .. never dedicated crawling
thanks again
The reason you didn't find it is because it doesn't exist, but the sticky explains why.

You aren't going to get the stock speed out of a brushed motor, not while having something that had good torque and is reasonably setup.

The Crawlmaster Sport is $35 and works well. It's about as fast as you'll get out of a brushed motor and have good low end with decent wear.

In this video I showed the comparison of the two motors.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

13t it is ... that's what i wanted .. better than stock and around the same speed .. its a hair slower but not enough to matter
Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I have had a 21t Torque Master Pro for a little over 3yrs. I've used a SC3 and Torque Master BR-XL on 2S and get good speed and very good low end grunt.
ClaySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

As usual Harley is right those Holmes motors are Def worth it. I have crawlmaster pro'pro's in both 16 and 28t. The 28 is an awesome crawler with good torque but super slow. The 16t on 3s is great imo. Plenty fast and still has great low end grunt. But the best way to know for sure is try one. Pull the trigger one one and run the crap out of it lol. And if ya don't like it you can always try trading it off in the classifieds
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I'm running a 27T HH TM Pro on 3S and it has plenty of wheelspeed with good low end but I believe I'll be going to a 13T next. My buddy is running a 13T CM Pro in his and it has better startup and a touch faster than my 27T TM...I don't really know how fast it is but it's geared 16/87 and the motor stays plenty cool unless I'm running the ever living crap out of it for over 30 mins.....
blackfox93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the feedback .. I orderd the 13t from ckrc .. will run with my sv3 esc on 2s most of the time .. ill figure out gearing but probably start with stock gear keep and keep an eye out on temp .. then drop down to 16t if I need.. next mod will be 32p gears ..already god drive shafts installed

seriously thanks guys

brushed motor question for wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed Motor Timing Question Lou-Dog Electronics 5 05-12-2012 09:38 AM
Brushed motor question EMUTT Electronics 5 08-06-2011 08:59 AM
Old brushed motor capacitor question jclampy Electronics 7 05-06-2011 10:39 PM
Brushed motor question Synister_Intent Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 12-12-2009 01:36 PM