Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What do you do if you just don't run it often?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What do you do if you just don't run it often?

Spending the $21 for the castle link is worth it compared to going through all that crap for programming!! ^^^
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Spending the $21 for the castle link is worth it compared to going through all that crap for programming!! ^^^
Boy, I'll say.

To be clear the op asked about programming the ESC for lipo. I didn't know that was necessary I thought you just plug it in and it identifies the battery type and automatically cuts off at the factory set low voltage.

It did not however appear that is what happened with my Wraith last time out so I plugged in my lipo alarm.

I noticed the lipo alarm go off on a long climb much sooner than it should have and the cells were both 3.8 so don't know why it went off once only. Since the voltage readings were good I kept driving and it didn't go off again or lose power driving.

I thought the stock esc could only do 2s. My wraith has a castle BEC in the receiver box and the red servo wire is unplugged. Does that mean I can run 3s on it or do I continue with my plan to pick up the 6s compatible Castle ESC?

As for the cost of lipo batteries you can use them in all of your trucks so it isn't sinking more money into the Wraith necessarily.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Yes you can run 3s on that ae2 esc with the castle bec as long as the receiver and servo are being powered by the bec and not the esc. I accomplished this by disconnecting the red wire from my esc and plugging in the bec to the battery port of the receiver.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Yes you can run 3s on that ae2 esc with the castle bec as long as the receiver and servo are being powered by the bec and not the esc. I accomplished this by disconnecting the red wire from my esc and plugging in the bec to the battery port of the receiver.
This is the bec in my Wraith. Installed by the original owner/builder who has a lot more knowledge and experience than I do.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post
I noticed the lipo alarm go off on a long climb much sooner than it should have and the cells were both 3.8 so don't know why it went off once only
That's called voltage sag. Long climb = high load. That's why I set the LVC on the esc at 3v/cell. Some lipo's sag less than others. In my tests, Turnigy nano-tech's had the least amount of voltage sag compared to GForce, Gens Ace, and Amped Up brands under equal amp load.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
That's called voltage sag. Long climb = high load. That's why I set the LVC on the esc at 3v/cell. Some lipo's sag less than others. In my tests, Turnigy nano-tech's had the least amount of voltage sag compared to GForce, Gens Ace, and Amped Up brands under equal amp load.
Thanks Johnny.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #27
RCC Addict

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html
Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #28

thanks a bunch for posting the instructions so I don't need to search for them. I picked up a 5000mah lipo locally (yes, overpaid), but I wanted to check with you experts on something. The guy said that a 3S wouldn't work with my wraith as it would only support 2S with the stock ESC. Thought I would double check since a couple replies were to 3S lipos. I don't know the difference, but obviously don't want to end up with more problems after dumping more money. I am giving this single battery a chance, and if it changes my experience with the wraith I will order a few more online. Thanks again!
Jayfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #29

and now that a re-read a couple of these posts (not sure how I missed them), it looks like I need this bec (what does that stand for) to run 3S. Is 3S better than 2S I assume.. I will stick with the 2S before buying more stuff at this point..
Jayfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

It basically allows you to step down the voltage to the requirements of whatever it's plugged in to. The ae2 esc has a bec built in to it but is not capable of handling the current flow at 3s power and a good servo. You will need the castle link to program this one though.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
Is 3S better than 2S I assume
And 4s is the ultimate!!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
RCC Addict

4s will kill the stock ae2 esc. Castle link isn't necessary unless you buy a castle bec. A bec gives 5 or 6v to your receiver (rx) while your esc and motor run on 11.1v (3s).
Old 12-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
and now that a re-read a couple of these posts (not sure how I missed them), it looks like I need this bec (what does that stand for) to run 3S. Is 3S better than 2S I assume.. I will stick with the 2S before buying more stuff at this point..
A few questions for your Jayfro, did you get a battery with a different connector or the same as the one you already had?
Cause if you got the different connectors make sure you also have that connector on your charger. Your hobby shop should have adapters for relativley cheap.
Another thing to think about is when charging your lipo you have to be careful with over charging as well as draining it too low. Keep the pack while charging in a safe area or in a lipo safe bag. These to are 10-15 bucks.
I have that same charger and a 5000mah lipo pack it takes about an hour but the run time on it is crazy. I can use my turnigy with mild trigger use for about an hour to 2 hours.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #34

since we're on the subject, and JayFro, this may help you too...

i picked upa Duratrax 835E last May, purchased a couple of Trakpower 2s/5600/50c lipos to run in series, 4s equivalent...

The Trakpowers, at something like 60.00 each, have already puffed to an uncomfortable size, so I'm looking for input.

- The TP's were never charged over 1C(5A), Triton EQ charger, however the info I have states 5C charge capable, NEVER have I charged w/o balancing. Always waited 20-30 mins for the batts to cool down a bit before re-charge. no temp info, but after every run last summer the pack was warm, not close to hot. The motor, however, was hot... I'm going to to gear down on the pinion and see if that helps.

-The motor/esc in the DTX is 2050KV 2 pole, 120 amp, 6s capable Onyx ESC.

Checked for any binding along the drivetrain, all is nice and smooth...

Did I do something wrong, or is paying top-dollar for brand-name LiPOs stupid?

I just ordered a 4s/5000/25C Turnigy hardcase, 33.00 shipped. I don't want to repeat a mistake...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by HSteve5280; 12-31-2014 at 01:17 PM.
HSteve5280 is offline   Reply With Quote

What do you do if you just don't run it often? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubicon Micro Crawler-First run...snowy run swiggyj Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 11-25-2013 09:37 PM
trail run/fun run Saturday Nov 9th slim_chance North Carolina 8 11-09-2013 06:07 PM
Trail run July 7th Difficult Run sellenk Virginia 2 07-06-2013 07:16 PM
CJCRC 3rd run/points run DEC 16 cliff1119 Tennessee 15 12-22-2012 10:18 PM
Difficult Run trail run 8/4/12 (located near Great Falls, VA) sellenk Virginia 6 09-15-2012 06:21 PM