Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New to RC- New Wraith Poison Spider Problems/ Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

Default New to RC- New Wraith Poison Spider Problems/ Questions

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I am sort of new to RC and definately new to RC Crawler.

Back in the day, I used to be in to RC buggies (RC10) but have not kept up with the hobby. Obviously a ton has changed over the last 20 years. This year my son has been expressing interest in RC so we gave him a Wraith Posion Spider RTR for Christmas. He was super excited, but we have already had some problems/ questions. Hoping someone here might be able to help:

Battery/ Charging related questions:
The battery and charger I gave him is a Venom 2 cell Lipo 25C 5000mah. Charger is a Hi Tec X1.

The instructions for this are a bit confusing. We are charging the battery at 5 amps which seems to be correct based on what I have read?

The charger has a capacity readout in the lower right corner of the screen. is this the same as the mah of the battery? On the first charge the capacity stopped at 2499 and then the charger said full. On the second charge it went to 2750 and then said full. Is this due to the break in period and should this continue to increase as we charge the battery more?

I am confused about the best practice for storing the battery- what state of charge should it be in?

what should the safety timer be set to?

Truck related questions:
What does the red light on the transmitter mean? the instructions show the green light, but no word about the red light.

The tag that was attached to the truck says it is important to turn everything on and off in the correct order. how important is this? Will it mess things up if he forgets to do it in sequence?

when installing the battery, the plug would not fit through the hole between the seats. I had to use a knife to enlarge the whole. sort of frustrating to be cutting on a new truck for this reason. Not sure if I missed something?

One of the back wheels is not square. when you hold the truck off the ground and run the throttle, you can see the wheel wobble vs. the other wheels which run true. this may have happened from my son jumping or crashing it? it does not seem to affect performance- should i worry about it? is this something that is easily fixed or adjusted?

The biggest problem is on the first run the truck would just stop working erractically. this usually happened after a jump or rollover. we figured out that jiggling the battery connection would result in a chiming noise and then it would start working. On the second run jiggling no longer worked and upon closer inspection I noticed the metal sleeves in the plug on the esc side had broken and pulled out with the battery side of the plug. Now the truck won't run and it looks like i need to replace the plug. Needless to say my son is bummed and I am a bit frustrated that an expensive gift is now out of commision after only 1.5 runs of relatively light use. Any advice on replacing this plug? do i have to cut it and solder or should it be replaced where it connects to the esc- (I have not opened it up yet to look at the esc.) We don't have a great local hobby shop so I am guessing I will need to order this part. Is there a reccomeded brand of plug to avoid this happening in the future?

Thanks a ton for any advice or help. He can't wait to have it running again!
joshvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to RC- New Wraith Poison Spider Problems/ Questions

Lipo's are shipped 1/2 charged and stored at approx 1/2 charged. So when you charged it the first time it would be 1/2 a full charge.

There should a setting on the charger for storage.

Your son may have bent the rear axle. Swap the rear wheels. If the wobble moves to the other side its the wheel. And if the same side is wobbling it the axle.

The connector is you choice. Deans and Traxxas are popular. I like Dean's. I use traxxas on my slash and Dean's on my crawlers. If he has friends with the came truck. It's nice if everyone has the same connectors so they can use other batteries(make sure they have lipo cut off!).
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

thanks for the input. I will swap the wheels to determine if it is the axle. if it is, will it damage other parts to continue to run it bent? he hasn't crashed it that hard so if it's bent are there upgraded axles I should order that would be more durable?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I am sort of new to RC and definately new to RC Crawler.

Back in the day, I used to be in to RC buggies (RC10) but have not kept up with the hobby. Obviously a ton has changed over the last 20 years. This year my son has been expressing interest in RC so we gave him a Wraith Posion Spider RTR for Christmas. He was super excited, but we have already had some problems/ questions. Hoping someone here might be able to help:

Battery/ Charging related questions:
The battery and charger I gave him is a Venom 2 cell Lipo 25C 5000mah. Charger is a Hi Tec X1.

The instructions for this are a bit confusing. We are charging the battery at 5 amps which seems to be correct based on what I have read?

that is correct, 5 amps

The charger has a capacity readout in the lower right corner of the screen. is this the same as the mah of the battery? On the first charge the capacity stopped at 2499 and then the charger said full. On the second charge it went to 2750 and then said full. Is this due to the break in period and should this continue to increase as we charge the battery more?

that is normal for a Lipo, shipped with 1/2 charge or so, you wont run it much lower than that if you use the lipo cut off protection, NEVER run a Lipo completely down!

I am confused about the best practice for storing the battery- what state of charge should it be in?

approx 1/2 charge or about 3.7 to 3.8 volts per cell

what should the safety timer be set to?

mine is set to 100 minutes

Truck related questions:
What does the red light on the transmitter mean? the instructions show the green light, but no word about the red light.

dont know, never bothered to find out, both are on, its good, green blinking, change transmitter batteries

The tag that was attached to the truck says it is important to turn everything on and off in the correct order. how important is this? Will it mess things up if he forgets to do it in sequence?

always turn off the truck first and unplug the battery, then turn off the transmitter, if the transmiter is turned off first, the truck could take off on its own.

when installing the battery, the plug would not fit through the hole between the seats. I had to use a knife to enlarge the whole. sort of frustrating to be cutting on a new truck for this reason. Not sure if I missed something?

not a big deal, mine was the same until i relocated the battery up front, under the hood

One of the back wheels is not square. when you hold the truck off the ground and run the throttle, you can see the wheel wobble vs. the other wheels which run true. this may have happened from my son jumping or crashing it? it does not seem to affect performance- should i worry about it? is this something that is easily fixed or adjusted?

Mine had a slightly bent axle when new, I ran it for a long time with no issues, axial may send you a new one if you ask them. I just bought a new stock one that was straight, no issues after that.

The biggest problem is on the first run the truck would just stop working erractically. this usually happened after a jump or rollover. we figured out that jiggling the battery connection would result in a chiming noise and then it would start working. On the second run jiggling no longer worked and upon closer inspection I noticed the metal sleeves in the plug on the esc side had broken and pulled out with the battery side of the plug. Now the truck won't run and it looks like i need to replace the plug. Needless to say my son is bummed and I am a bit frustrated that an expensive gift is now out of commision after only 1.5 runs of relatively light use. Any advice on replacing this plug? do i have to cut it and solder or should it be replaced where it connects to the esc- (I have not opened it up yet to look at the esc.) We don't have a great local hobby shop so I am guessing I will need to order this part. Is there a reccomeded brand of plug to avoid this happening in the future?

that is just a poor design battery connector, switch it to a deans connector, solder a female deans connector on the battery and a male deans connector on the ESC leads, problem solved

Thanks a ton for any advice or help. He can't wait to have it running again!
joshvt is offline Report Post
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Thanks for all the input. A couple follow ups:

I picked up some deans connectors and plan to install today. any tips/ trick to soldering them? I don't have much experience soldering.

The RTR has the LIPO cutoff programmed into the esc, correct? or do i need to do something here?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Lipo cutoff should be programmed already. If you bought the truck new and have the receipt you should be covered under warranty. The documents come with the truck. Axial's warranty service is very good.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

My son's been loving the truck- and getting good at driving it which is cool. A couple questions:

We haven't needed to use the storage mode on the charger yet- truck has been getting frequent enough use. Now we need to and I just went to storage mode and realized I need to set the charge or discharge current. Should this be the same as for regular charging: 5.0 (1c)?

We periodically inspect it and try to clean up the underside when it gets dirty. Do we need to be doing any preventative maintenance, lubrication, etc?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

For storage I would just run it some to get the peak off the batt and leave it alone. Lipos are not as prone to developing a "memory" like the old nimh and nicad batts were. Def a +1 on the deans. That's what I run on everything.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Been a while since I have been on here. My son still enjoys his Poison Spyder and has become a pretty impressive driver- for a 12 yr old

A few weeks ago, the truck had it's first major issue in a while. We determined the idler gear in the transmission was stripped so ended up putting in a set of Robinson Racing metal gears. was fun tearing it down together and putting in the new stuff. In the process we noticed the front wheel hubs were torn up pretty good where the pin engages. So I ordered a set of hexes and vanquish SLW's hubs.

We got all the new parts in today. After one run, we noticed only one of the front wheels is being driven while the other just free wheels. I can see the axel is spinning on the free wheeling wheel so I am assuming something in the front diff went bad... is it possible this is related to the hub upgrade or just a coincidence? i am guessing maybe we made one part more durable so another part (the diff) took the hit. Haven't opened anything up yet so not sure what we will find or what to expect. what is the reccomended upgrade?

My strategy is let him run it and upgrade parts as they fail. So I don't want to go back with stock components, i'd rather raise the bar.

Thanks for any reccomendations you can provide.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Either an axle shaft sheared in the locker or locker split apart. Only taking it apart will give you the correct answer.

I upgraded my lockers to the gripfab arb's. But if your on a budget I hear good things about the hot racing spools.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC- New Wraith Poison Spider Problems/ Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Poison Spider Wraith cheyennek5 Axial Wraith 13 08-11-2014 06:42 AM
Just got my wraith poison spider Brian. Axial Wraith 14 04-17-2014 05:11 AM
87yota's Poison Spider Wraith... 87yota Axial Wraith 4 01-13-2014 12:20 PM