Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Ioco Off Road Warrior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ioco Off Road Warrior

This is my Wraith with a New Bright hard body Range Rover on its first run. Its modeled after the trucks on the show Alaskan Off Road Warriors on Discovery Chanel... although the stretch on this thing makes it a bit more extreme than those trucks.

Its been hacked and drilled and needs some realignment. Once that's all done I'll clean up the body work and repaint it.

Its mounted using 4 screw holes on the top edge of the door. The hood is cut and held on by 2 screws at the back. It may get another in the front but its secure with the 2 on the sides at the back.

davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ioco Off Road Warrior

What is the wheelbase on that body? Where did you find it?
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hopefully noone hates on this thing. For some reason I really like it.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
What is the wheelbase on that body? Where did you find it?
The wheelbase on the body is 10.5 inches and the truck is 15.5 inches. Not sure if that's the stock wheelbase for a Wraith or not.

I got the body off a New Bright toy RC I found at a local thrift store for $5.

JIDIR, I've never had an appreciation for the look of the Wraith I prefer scalers or trucks with scale looking bodies. I have 2 other Chevy Silverado bodies that will fit this truck.

The smaller of the two will be done as a rock race truck. I think the bigger one is big enough to build a decent looking scaler. Not too many people go in this direction with a Wraith so hopefully better builders will be inspired to do a better build than I have,

I like the look of this truck but its not exactly the look I'm going for because of the shorter wheelbase. I will likely trim the rear quarters to make it a bit more of a rock racer look.

I will post some pics of the underside but its pretty ugly. Its ok though because the original owner of this Wraith built it for seriously hard beatings and it will get used a lot.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Why are the bottom of your front shocks pointing rearward?
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
That's a good question. I don't know. Thats how the original owner/builder of the truck set it up. The owner of my LHS was impressed with how its built and it works awesome.

Having said that I don't like how that looks. I can't move the tops back as it won't clear the front cage. I haven't tried moving the bottoms forward yet.

Those shocks also have travel limiters that I may try removing. They are traxxas alloy shocks and the rears need a top mount extension to raise the back a bit because it squats at the moment.

I will however try some stiffer springs too. This thing weighs over 7 pounds so it might do to have a little less sag in the back.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Post up a picture of where it mounts at the bottom, it almost looks like it has been mounted to the lower link like a trailing arm setup (leading arm in this case) but you may be able to re-mount it to the axle where it was originally, the front suspension will probably work better for you.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It looks like it has front trailing arms. I have only seen that done one other time and it gives a massive amount of travel.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yes but the lower shock mounting point should be inline or slightly forward of the top mounting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
It looks like it has front trailing arms. I have only seen that done one other time and it gives a massive amount of travel.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Post up a picture of where it mounts at the bottom, it almost looks like it has been mounted to the lower link like a trailing arm setup (leading arm in this case) but you may be able to re-mount it to the axle where it was originally, the front suspension will probably work better for you.
so the third, middle set of links are the trailing or in this case leading links. Do they help prevent body roll when cornering as well as on side hills?

Last edited by davemud; 12-28-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've never seen a setup like that before, the green ones and the bottom ones are normal, the "leading" links usually replace the lower links and have a place to mount the lower shock, normally the lower shock mounts to the axle in the upper mount hole above the lower link mount. That's an interesting setup.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post
so the third, middle set of links are the trailing or in this case leading links. Do they help prevent body roll when cornering as well as on side hills?

Wow thats different!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I don't think I've ever seen a 6 link. It just has to bind up...
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Ioco Off Road Warrior - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JRP RC - Building Road Part 2 The Rc Tonka Off Road Dump Truck! Juddp Scale Videos! 0 10-12-2013 07:53 PM
Ioco On the Rocks!!! SteelHead[BC] Scale Videos! 4 01-01-2013 07:24 AM
Off Road / On Road / Water / Air PC physics simulator game BubbaEinstein Chit Chat 1 11-20-2012 03:16 PM
on road race - off road mud truck cammok5 Chit Chat 4 06-21-2007 08:15 PM