Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Advice on class 3 rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Advice on class 3 rig

Looking to build my wraith to a competitive class 3 rig and would like some input and advice from some people with more experience with this than myself. At the moment I have the wraith kit version with dig transmission,mamba max pro,tekin roc412 3100kv,vanquish scale hubs,knuckles, and VVDs up front, 2.2 proline super swamper tsl sx, 2.2 rc4wd hitman beadlocks,gmade transitional shocks. Thinking of giving up the dig transmission up and go with 4ws instead. I plan to make some links with all thread and tubing, thinking of leaving the wild boar shafts as my break point for fast repairs if needed, and thinking of od/ud the axles. What should be my next move?
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Advice on class 3 rig

Ok I have a Wraith with both DIG and 4WS. I have more problems with the DIG servo traveling too far and knocking itself out of throw.

I ONLY run ProLine Power Stroke shocks.

I prefer Holmes Hobbies brushless to the TEKIN.

Go Vanquish titanium links and steering.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've only ran my wraith maybe 1hr tops before snapped an axle and hub lol. However in that hr I noticed issues with the dig that I didn't like over throwing being one. And not engaging everytime kinda like free wheeling in the rear. I have upgraded steering links already not sure of the brand but they work nice, should be better with no flex at the knuckle. I will look into the vanquish links, I made all my links in the past and they seem to work great. I'm very impressed with the esc motor set up I don't plan to change that, I have a HH 13t pro in my scaler with the HH brxl waterproof esc and love it in that rig.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Is there a specific reason for the power stroke shocks? The gmade shocks seem to be pretty smooth to me?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUTT View Post
Looking to build my wraith to a competitive class 3 rig and would like some input and advice from some people with more experience with this than myself. At the moment I have the wraith kit version with dig transmission,mamba max pro,tekin roc412 3100kv,vanquish scale hubs,knuckles, and VVDs up front, 2.2 proline super swamper tsl sx, 2.2 rc4wd hitman beadlocks,gmade transitional shocks. Thinking of giving up the dig transmission up and go with 4ws instead. I plan to make some links with all thread and tubing, thinking of leaving the wild boar shafts as my break point for fast repairs if needed, and thinking of od/ud the axles. What should be my next move?
I do believe that you on the right track by going to 4WS and ditching the dig. It seems to be a more competitive setup and you are only allowed to use one on a course anyway. Learn to use one well and stick to it.

Th e MMP and ROC motor is a solid setup, stick with it.

For class 3 you will want to make sure your suspension flexes smoothly, not a ton, just smoothly. So make sure your springs are the right stiffness to allow the truck to do that without too much force.

OD/UD will help you climb and turn, although the turning shouldn't be an issue with 4WS.

I would replace the driveshafts. Don't build in weak links, fix them. You can build the rig to the place where you really aren't going to break parts easily.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the tips Harley . Now with OD/UD that helps with torque twist also correct? Or can that be helped with weighting the wheels? Or should I not weigh the wheels down? And what driveshafts would you go with MIP?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUTT View Post
Thanks for the tips Harley . Now with OD/UD that helps with torque twist also correct? Or can that be helped with weighting the wheels? Or should I not weigh the wheels down? And what driveshafts would you go with MIP?
It will help reduce TT as well. As for weight, I usually like to make sure my rig balances just in front of the rod ends on the lower links at the skid plate side. Sometimes this requires extra weight and sometimes it doesn't.

Yes, MIP shafts.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice on class 3 rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glow's new rig - Need some advice.... glondark EnRoute Berg 11 03-02-2013 06:07 PM
1:1 Rig Advice LR3 Chit Chat 33 12-16-2010 08:46 PM
Want to build a Super class crawler.. advice bnoland Superclass Crawlers 21 10-24-2010 04:29 PM
scale rig advice KYScorpion Newbie General 3 04-04-2008 07:21 PM