Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spawn!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Default Spawn!

This is my first Wraith and I love it so far. I just bought a Deadbolt and have been doing some mods, but this truck may steal all my attention. All you Wraith vets let me know about needed mods or eventual upgrades.
FortCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Spawn!

Here's mine.
ROGI77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the madness. I would look into Harley's videos on the Wraith...ie his budget build series. I found it very informative. Upgrades are really going to depend on what you are using the truck for...crawling, trails, bashing. If you don't upgrade your drive shafts, then I would keep spares handy.
Really you can have fun with it out of the box and when something fails it is time for an upgrade. Keep this in mind also as you upgrade the weak link, now there is now a different weak link. For instance upgrading the drive lines will put more stress on the trans, or the spur, or upgrading the drag links will add more stress to the servo.

Hope this helped
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Nice ride ROG177! I've been watching Harley's Deadbolt build and will definitely check out the Wraith build. I could go crazy on a build but I have to watch and be budget friendly😁. Every little bit of advice helps.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

My list of stuff
-savox 1256tg
-king 110 for slash
-electronics moved to rear
-bec
-Crawler innovations battery tray
-weighted in the front
-vanquish ti links wrapped in red heat shrink
-strc front steering links
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

I am relocating the battery to the front but I've run into some issues. First, the receiver box is evidently bigger on the Spawn than the other Wraith's. Second, if you use the existing battery tray the double cross member in the front of the window area doesn't allow for a hardcase lipo. Any ideas? Could I Dremel off the top ear of the battery tray to make room. Not real pumped on losing the waterproof receiver box but it could be relocated to the rear with an extra cord extension.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I took the antenna and fed it back into the receiver box first off. Take a razor blade to the the antenna mount and shave it off. Flip the lid over and cut off the extra lip, about 1/8" of an but make sure not to cut into the inner seal groove. This will allow hard case lipos to fit in better, and not loose water proof. Move the ESC to the front mounting hole and adjust your cables so you can wrap a zip tie around the base of you receiver box so it keeps the wires tight to it so your not messing them up sliding your battery in. You will have to cut a couple zip ties to move your power cables and just set you battery tray to the side. Unless you go to a small battery the braces get in the way of mounting it and getting a pack in, and negate the whole reason to mod the lid. I'll try to get pics loaded having troubles wiith it.

Last edited by mike31; 12-31-2014 at 01:18 PM.
mike31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Here is how I did mine. Used some shoe glue and dremeled the bottom of the receiver box so it was flat and put shoe glue on bottom yeah not coming off unless you pry it off. The esc is still held on by double sided
Old 12-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Here is the crawler innovations battery mount didn't fit perfect but I'm gonna make my own. It's a good start.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

What about the actual battery tray itself? It looks like you would need to cut some of it away to even get the battery in.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 PM   #11

Thanks to Harleys Poison Spyder build I figured out that he removed some of the plastic on one side and now it is easy to get the battery in. Not able to post pics yet so Ill have to wait to post them until then.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Here are some pics i found in rcsparks that show some upgrades you can do depending on what you want to do
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCrawler View Post
What about the actual battery tray itself? It looks like you would need to cut some of it away to even get the battery in.
Also from what i understand people cut the battery tray in half then mounted it where the ESC went with 1 screw
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Thanks legoman. That RCSparks chart is really cool. Been working on the Spawn all night. Once I can post pics I can show you all what I've done.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago and love it only problem is the wheels I stripped the pin groove out of one and can't find a metal hub replacement for the wheel. Does anyone make this in metal because I can't find any
mikelshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Oh and I also upgraded to a savox 1230 servo a Holmes hobbies crawlmaster expert 13t motor vanquish knuckles chubs lockouts and steering links some way to short scale shocks because I haven't bought longer ones lol. Super swampers tsl since I messed up the method wheel hub. Moved the esc and receiver box to the middle under the interior and put the battery up front. So far so good other than the shocks
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Old 01-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #18

With my battery relocation, I used the stock tray cut in half, ground a small portion of the tray to keep it off the spur gear cover, ground the part flat that use to secure the tray at the shock tower, and screwed the tray in from the bottom, as there is an extra hole already there. I also secured each side of the tray to the tubes. I still utilize the stock velcro straps as well. All other electronics are still in the stock locations.
DMK855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Vanquish SLW hubs can be bolted in place to repair your wheels Mike.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Vanquish SLW hubs can be bolted in place to repair your wheels Mike.
You have to have the hex for those don't you? do they make em for just the pin

Spawn! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial spawn 98sierra Axial Wraith 30 07-27-2015 06:12 PM
Spawn wheels Bajacaat Axial Wraith 0 12-28-2014 03:07 PM
Wraith Spawn jon_cue Axial Wraith 11 11-17-2014 01:31 PM
Spawn jlsandkes Axial Wraith 2 11-17-2014 01:27 PM