Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 2 speed transmission in Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

Default 2 speed transmission in Wraith

I'm new here and received a spyder rtr wraith for Christmas. I've probably put about 5+ hours on it. The battery and electronics have been relocated for better weight distribution so far.

One of the downfalls I've noticed is that it sucks at crawling. I knew it was built for offroad speed but didn't think it would be this bad at crawling more technical things. My buddies have SCX10s with 55T motors. I thought of doing this swap but I've enjoyed the higher speed driving of the wraith and I don't want to be only limited to crawling.

I do have plans for an rc rock garden in the back yard since my wife nixed my plans for a large scale rock garden for my big jeeps.

Long story short, please school me on the 2 speed transmission available. Rc4wd. What's all required, radio and receiver upgrades, shifting servo suggestions etc. I understand that other things need upgrading too, but I'm looking at all options.

As far as I understand required parts:
Transmission
Servo mini or standard
3 channel radio and receiver. (May go 4 channel for future upgrades). Suggestions ?
Shorter rear drive shaft?

Plans for wraith:
Rock garden in back yard and maybe some higher speed dirt driving
Rock crawling when we take the jeeps out to play

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by jeeprocks86; 12-31-2014 at 08:12 PM.
jeeprocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2 speed transmission in Wraith

I run two RC4WD AX2 trans in both of my 1.9's. I use a Futaba 4PL to control them and my winches. The pinion that comes with the AX2 is a 16t and if you drop it down to a 14 or 13t it gets better low end control, that and 2nd gear is a bit high and will heat up the motor with the 16t. Mip makes a single AX10 drive shaft that's shorter for a dig unit, works well with the AX2. Standard or mini servo are fine. If you plan on putting any heavy power through it in the future buy the heavy duty output shaft for it.

First gear is great and when you need some wheel speed just hit 2nd gear.

Here's a vid of somebody's Wraith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj_uEbKtZyY

Optional output shaft: http://store.rc4wd.com/AX2-Heavy-Dut...ft_p_2829.html

Short drive shaft: http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/mip09137.htm

Last edited by Norton; 12-31-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

Default Re: 2 speed transmission in Wraith

Thanks

I have seen your video before and it was one of the videos that really got me thinking about it. Thanks
jeeprocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 speed transmission in Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tf2 with 2 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case Teasley4Crawlers RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 12-02-2014 10:34 AM
First run video Axial Wraith Rc4wd 2 speed transmission mcwk1992 Axial Wraith 4 07-09-2013 07:47 PM