Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: advice for anyone buying the spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default advice for anyone buying the spawn

I already own the wraith but just bought the rtr wraith spawn, let me first say that I love the first wraith, ran that thing thru heavy rain and plowed snow in my driveway, takes a beating even though axial says it is water resistant but I would say its waterproof after all that. anyway so when I bought the spawn I knew that the only difference was the ae5 esc is different from the ae2 that comes in the first wraith and the drive shafts, but that ae5 esc has the jumper plugs for switching from lipo to nimd and is a poor design and heres why, after driving on paved road with no jumps or bumps the jumper plugs feel out! after finding them and putting them back in I noticed how loose they are from the factory, these are not like a tight fitted receiver plug, so I called the local hobby shop and they also said how a few people had this problem, well just a little help for those who buy the spawn is that there is a easy fix, I took a small thin zip tie that fits in the esc heat sink to hold it and went around the whole esc and over the top of the plugs, also axial mounts the esc on the bottom side of the drivers door which to me is a crazy location cause it exsposed to much to debree unlike the wraith which has it located in the front top away from debree and has a much tighter fit, since the 2 share the same chassis and have a factory hole for a esc on the spawn I relocated it to the front and yes I trail tested it and the plugs are very secured with no issues, just want to pass this info on hope it helps

Last edited by krazikev; 01-01-2015 at 06:39 PM.
krazikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

Default Re: advice for anyone buying the spawn

I agree about the esc. Moved it up front along with the battery tray and moved the receiver box to the rear using the battery plate from my SCX10. Haven't run it hard enough yet to make the plugs fall out but Ill definitely look into your solution.
FortCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Been using the AE5 in my wraith since September, Works well but have never had the jumpers fall out.
Flash178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What are jumpers? Clueless on this but want to know since I also have a spawn
mikelshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #5

The jumpers are two small little plugs on the AE5 that allow you adjust your drag brake from 100 percent to 50percent by moving it over in the esc and the other one is used to set your battery function as either NiMh or Lipo.
FortCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Oh ok
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

I had no problems with the plugs falling out but my nervous self realized the potential for loosing them so until I did relocations of electronics to do stock tst runs I just put a piece of electrical tape over them, also keep dirt out. Will continue to do so just for dirt and water.
mike31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #8

and replace the servo junk first time out mine was working on and off my friends was also new and his keeped on reseting turned or something inside so i would say servo is a pos replace has any one came up with a good way to hold the spawn body on without using thos srews? what a pain
toyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

I have seen a video where some one used body mount post screwed into the stock location to secure the body I've been trying to figure out where to by the post.
brotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just didn't tighten the screw up tight and drilled the hole in the body out a little bit bigger and use a body clip to hold mine on

advice for anyone buying the spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice on buying a moa crawler w. cost crawler General Crawlers 12 12-31-2013 01:29 AM
Need advice, buying new remote SunShine Electronics 2 09-21-2012 02:04 PM
Buying Slash 4x4 PE, any advice? crazyorigin Non Crawler RC's 12 02-06-2010 10:23 AM
Spektrum DX3S buying advice grimgard Electronics 3 01-27-2009 11:26 AM
Need Advice on Buying Silver Solder From Ebay Please!!!! TheHeadHunter Tools, and Procedures 1 07-01-2008 12:42 PM