Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: steering help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default steering help please.

I recently installed a spektrum s6030 servo and I also have BMRC Ti links all the way around. Hot racing chubs and knucks.

My problem I'm having is that the servo is stalling when turning. I can turn left or right and it will turn a few degrees but then stall, if I press the throttle or reverse then the wheels will turn all the way.

The RX/TX is spektrum dx4c and the stock receiver for the spektrum.

I have a cc bec set to 6v which is the max voltage giving 277oz-in

My wheels r axial 8holes with rc4wd mickey Thompson Baja claws with 1.5oz in each front tire and 3oz in each rear.

I have recently installed this servo so I haven't had it outside yet but I have tried it on carpet(which would be classified as shag I suppose) and I've also tried it on firm foam mats I have around my work bench. Both make the servo stall. I don't know of getting it out on the dirt will make a difference. Just trying to get some extra info to see if maybe something is wrong.
zackS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #2

Default Re: steering help please.

You need a stronger servo.
CzerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #3

Have you properly set all the end points? This is an important step when installing a new servo.

Have you tried a glitch buster? I run spek radios, with different servos... And have had to use a glitch buster with most of the rides.
waffleNchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

Czer.... I'm pretty sure 278 oz/in is plenty strong. That's strong enough for a 8th scale buggy!
waffleNchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My problem I'm having is that the servo is stalling when turning. I can turn left or right and it will turn a few degrees but then stall, if I press the throttle or reverse then the wheels will turn all the way.

the above statement says it all, the only reason for it to move after the wheels start turning is because the servo is not up to the task. I ran a similar servo strength that acted the same way, I upgraded to a more powerful servo (over 400oz) along with a castle BEC and the problem is gone...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't buy it. 278 will turn the wheels on carpet, unless the servo is defective. It's probably something else.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'd start with replacing then ubec with a $5 cheapie off eBay and go from there if it was me.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleNchicken View Post
Czer.... I'm pretty sure 278 oz/in is plenty strong. That's strong enough for a 8th scale buggy!
In my experience, it isn't enough. Entirely depends on the setup mind you! But I found with my 2.2 Pitbulls and heavier gearhead wheels I needed much more power than that when on a solid surface. Im running a 418oz servo now at 7.0v with a CC BEC. I was having the exact issue where it would stall out unless I was rolling. 418 is perhaps overkill, the 333oz I had before was up to the task as well. But overbuild, don't underbuild.
CzerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
I don't buy it. 278 will turn the wheels on carpet, unless the servo is defective. It's probably something else.
like what? its a very simple system...trust me...I have had this exact issue...if you have smaller tires its easier to turn them on carpet..but if you have larger tires like pitbulls or Iroks, then the bite they give on surfaces only adds to the problem.

Of course there is the possibility that the servo he has is defective a well, but still, if it is, replace it with a more powerful servo due to the fact the servo likely failed to being stressed too much
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It could be the servo is not getting enough voltage also, have you tested the voltage at the plug/receiver? confirm all connections on the BEC are solid.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Another vote for you need a stronger servo. ;) IMO In a crawler 400inoz is the minimum. I used to have a hitec 7955 iirc its 333 in oz and it would stall on carpet with a heavier rig. Crawlers need way more steering power than an 8th scale buggy.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Hi, sorry for the super late reply.

All the connections are good, my ccbec is set to 6v and it is exposed to the elements its not all covered up so it gets good airflow to keep the amperage up and heat down(its in the passenger floor board).

I just found the savox sa1230 with 500oz torque for a couple dollars less than what I just got the spectrum for :/ so I was thinking of getting that.
One other problem I have is that my strc chubs/knuckles move around on the axle, they don't clock back and forth but they aren't tight. The guy that out them on striped the screw hole so I have to out zip ties around the axles to keep the screws from falling out. Should I jb weld them to the axle? Its stock plastic axles BTW.
If I need to I can put a pic of the steering set up on photobucket and put the link here.

Also I have been looking at some taking sensored motors. I use 2s lipo in my wraith. I do more hill climb type stuff than anything. So I've been looking at the redline gen2 10.5t and a pro4 3300kv. I read the pro4hd won't fit in the wraith with out lots of mods which I just want everything to be bolt on. I'd be OK with having to trim the link mount a tad.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #13

Agreed. Crawlers need over 400 oz. for competition style crawling. 200 is enough only for bashing and trails.
ROGI77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I don't do comps though :p
I just want my damn wheels to turn when I tell them to lol.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I still have the stock servo, AS3, and PL TSL XLs, and I'm running DX4C, w/sr4200 ( I think ) rx, I have the vanquish Ti links all round, I can still steer, and the AS3 is a weak servo. So beyond that, even if you put in a stronger servo, the issue may follow. Do you have another servo to test with? I've seen guys running traxxas 2075 Wp servos, which only have 125oz, and they don't have any major issues, until the plastic gears strip.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

My AS3 servo wouldnt turn the wheels much at all on carpet and not at all when in a little bind crawling or on the trail...so just put a better servo in it and be done. it will fix the problem.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
My AS3 servo wouldnt turn the wheels much at all on carpet and not at all when in a little bind crawling or on the trail...so just put a better servo in it and be done. it will fix the problem.
Really my original servo with all the bushings dead can still dry turn on pavement or rocks. I try not to dry turn the servo unless necessary though. I don't bring my muddy rigs in my clean house, so I have not tested on carpet.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I had a hitec 645mg and it did the same thing.
I still haven't gotten it out off of carpet yet. Not had time to yet.

I dont get my rigs dirty and muddy. I keep them clean. Even when I'm out every few minutes I pick it up and turn it over to get dirt and rocks out of the places they shouldn't be.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post

Really my original servo with all the bushings dead can still dry turn on pavement or rocks. I try not to dry turn the servo unless necessary though. I don't bring my muddy rigs in my clean house, so I have not tested on carpet.
Well all i can say is yours is the exception to the rule...there may be the occasional stock servo that works well...but the lions share simply dont..there are way too many complaints about the lack of performance and longevity of these servos....
Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Well all i can say is yours is the exception to the rule...there may be the occasional stock servo that works well...but the lions share simply dont..there are way too many complaints about the lack of performance and longevity of these servos....
I should have said nothing. It bit the dust this morning. No more left turns, borrowed one for the morning. Contemplating buying the Holmes

steering help please. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idea for scaler steering... Need ideas for building a steering box. JavelinSST390 General Scale Talk 25 05-14-2015 02:32 PM
new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster AxialJeepster Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 10-14-2012 01:03 AM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM