Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Does a CMS reduce steering throw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Does a CMS reduce steering throw?

Does it limit the steering or does it have just as much? Just looking for the pros and cons of the mod. I dont want to get it if it causes articulation issues or limits steering
youngquist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Does a CMS reduce steering throw?

With the proper servo horn it will not limit steering.

It may limit flex depending on the length of shock you run. It is made to hide the servo mainly, so unless that is your main concern, it may not be for you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

It also tends to add bump steer. The axle mounted servo is a clean a simple system that works, I would leave if there unless you want to get the servo off the axle for a more scale look.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if it is set up properly there is no bump steer. I lost no steering throw with mine. It also helps keep the servo up out of water,mud,debris when trailing.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
if it is set up properly there is no bump steer. I lost no steering throw with mine. It also helps keep the servo up out of water,mud,debris when trailing.
You may not see it, but it's there. You can't eliminate it 100%, but you can minimize it.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i didnt lose any steering but it limited a little bit of articulation but its not enough to matter at all. also im still confused about how people complain about bump steer with RC cars. for the longest time my panhard and drag link were wayyyy off from parallel and i can only assume i had bump steer. now my panhard and drag link are legitimately perfect and it drives exactly the same to me. sooooooooooo my opinion basically is worth nothing
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
also im still confused about how people complain about bump steer with RC cars.
Some people are not nearly as perceptive as others. It's a fact, whether full-scale or 1/10. Sometimes it's mild other times it's drastic, just depends on the truck and its configuration.

...and I'm not complaining, just letting those that don't already know it's one of "cons" to the chassis amounted servo. It's a novelty for those who want a more scale appearance and it certainly does look better.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

i dont think bumpsteer is going to matter much. the truck is slow and i only crawl, no bashing. 55t motor. and a hitec 7955 with aluminum horn. sounds like ill be ordering the kit. thanks!
youngquist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Some people are not nearly as perceptive as others. It's a fact, whether full-scale or 1/10. Sometimes it's mild other times it's drastic, just depends on the truck and its configuration.

...and I'm not complaining, just letting those that don't already know it's one of "cons" to the chassis amounted servo. It's a novelty for those who want a more scale appearance and it certainly does look better.
obviously its real thing but its completely different driving a 1:1 and having bump steer to driving an RC car. its not like your radio gets jerked out of your hand when you hit a speed bump in a rc car.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
obviously its real thing but its completely different driving a 1:1 and having bump steer to driving an RC car. its not like your radio gets jerked out of your hand when you hit a speed bump in a rc car.
But it can knock you off your line in the RC car and that's something most drivers would like to avoid. Potential bump-steer is something everyone considering buying a chassis mounted servo kit should be aware of.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

On the setup I'm running it took awhile to get it tuned in so the steering and suspension worked well together. There's been others drive it and were surprised how well it performed with the chassis mounted servo.

I three linked the front, had to fiddle with the lengths of the steering horn, tie rod, and panhard bar to get equal throw to both sides (That took the longest. Can't just eye it, have to actually get out and test) and ended up putting suspension limiting straps on to reduce travel. Trick I'm using to keep excellent steering regardless of the minimal bumpsteer it has (Noticible on uneven terrain with tight turns) is to overdrive the front diff and underdrive the rear so the front end pulls it around.

There's benefits and downfalls to this. But if your patient, you can tune it to perform like the axle mounted servo rigs.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote

Does a CMS reduce steering throw? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hand bros cms kit. cant get even throw m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 1 05-04-2013 06:24 AM
xr steering, but no throw? 0260b4u007 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 32 02-26-2013 12:19 PM
cms and steering throw nafie Axial SCX-10 0 04-25-2010 07:47 PM
Steering throw????? WKcrawler17 HPI Wheely King 13 06-30-2009 01:24 AM
Steering throw hitman46mod HPI Wheely King 6 11-22-2007 01:21 PM