RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Vanquish vvd (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/522777-vanquish-vvd.html)

goingvertical 01-19-2015 03:05 AM

Vanquish vvd

I'm having a problem installing these, well with just the short side. Seems it's to long and I can't seem to line up the holes to mount the knuckle back onto the chub. What I noticed was that the short vanquish vvd shaft is about an 1/8 to long. I've checked to see if there was any obstruction in the stock axle housing or locker but didn't find anything wrong. Thought I might have bought the wrong vvds but it said wraith on packaging label... My question is has anyone had this problem? I was going to just grind just enough so the axle shaft sits flush with bearing. Would grinding be an issue later when I switch out to VP lockers.

Thanks.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps9655cfa2.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Heckler 01-19-2015 06:06 AM

Re: Vanquish vvd

I've had the same issue, with several sets, not only did I have to shorten them but I also had to extend the flat spots at the end of the shaft, take your stock shaft and line it up with the vanquish from the bearing seat to the end of the shaft to get an idea of how much you will need to remove, take a little off at a time until it fits. Not something I would expect I would have to do for something with a premium price tag.

goingvertical 01-19-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heckler (Post 5118265)
I've had the same issue, with several sets, not only did I have to shorten them but I also had to extend the flat spots at the end of the shaft, take your stock shaft and line it up with the vanquish from the bearing seat to the end of the shaft to get an idea of how much you will need to remove, take a little off at a time until it fits. Not something I would expect I would have to do for something with a premium price tag.

Thanks for the input"thumbsup". Yeah same here when it comes to paying premium price for premium parts only having to mod something to make it fit.
I'll have to wait till I get to work to fix the problem.

goingvertical 01-19-2015 09:19 AM

Here's the problem... The shafts are to long. http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...pse0968c2c.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

1badlly 01-19-2015 01:29 PM

I didn't have that problem with mine but I'm running hot racing lockers! I put the shafts in the knuckle and chub before I put them into the axle housing

dbw 01-19-2015 01:43 PM

correct. I would build the rest of the axle before installing the shafts. you may find that they fit perfectly :) I just built mine using VP VVD's with no issues at all.

goingvertical 01-19-2015 03:21 PM

Thanks on the reply. I try every possible way to make them or anything work before modifing. I think I just got a bad set.. I'll be using the mill drill here at work to make them work which isn't that bad, just spending alot of money then having to fix it is.

SouthernComfort 01-19-2015 05:16 PM

If it was me I'd call them first.. quality parts needs quality service..

altd896 01-19-2015 05:23 PM

I had exactly the same thing over the weekend with the VP HD shafts (the ones with the 5mm stub), was quite surprised when I couldn't get the short side knuckle on.
I too though it was bottoming in the GripFab spool till I dropped the knuckle off the long side & was then able to push the short side fully home.
I took about 2mm (1/16-3/32") off each shaft with a dremel cutoff wheel.
It is annoying when parts need modifying, but at least too long is easier to fix then too short.
I have heard it's not an issue with the standard VVDs though.

badhoopty 01-19-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heckler (Post 5118265)

ive had some sets that needed dremeled to fit right. either they go together but bind up the knuckles when everything gets tightened down, or theyre off enough to very clearly see theres no chance of getting both chubs on.

Bc35339 01-19-2015 06:57 PM

I put a set in about 2 weeks ago and did not have any problems. Glad I got a good set.
I think I would call them to. They market their products to be top notch with a big price tag so they need to be sending out top notch parts.
I'm sure they would make it right and this may keep others from having the same problem. Not everybody has acess to a mill.

gbean 01-19-2015 08:33 PM

Forget modding them...

Call VP, they'll make it right.
They likely already know about the problem.

Heckler 01-19-2015 11:01 PM

The problem is not new in fact I know they came out with a newer/cheaper set that are supposed to be improved so maybe they fixed the issue with those, I called Vanquish and they sent me another set and I had the same issues with the ones I received in return, I went through 3 sets before I just went ahead and machined them down.

SouthernComfort 01-19-2015 11:10 PM

Thats messed up.. I will be getting the RC4WD axles for sure now.

fr8cture 01-19-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 5119351)

:lmao: Hell no.

Heckler 01-19-2015 11:47 PM

I actually used those for a while and had no issues with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5119363)
:lmao: Hell no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 5119351)

fr8cture 01-19-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heckler (Post 5119376)
I actually used those for a while and had no issues with them.

I don't trust rc4wd when it comes to axles.

gdb85 01-20-2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5119379)
I don't trust rc4wd when it comes to axles.

I hear you on that, but they've come along way. The new (er) Extreme Duty XVD's are as good as anything. I ran them on a couple rigs all last season and had no failures and I have never been confused of being a disciplined, under control driver. "thumbsup"

I also have there centered Wraith straight shafts in my GCM rear axle on my Yeti and have been whooping on it for months now without a problem.

badhoopty 05-06-2017 12:07 AM

please dont dig up an old thread just to talk shit about parts you never owned or had issues with.

fr8cture 05-06-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 5704543)
please dont dig up an old thread just to talk shit about parts you never owned or had issues with.

Agree 2 year old post.