Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: draglink/tie rod ends-solid or removable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Default draglink/tie rod ends-solid or removable

have a wraith spawn and I getting ready to upgrade and bullet proof it. I am looking into the draglinks and tie rods to upgrade an alloy/metal and noticed that I see some options give you the links in ally/metal but you use plastic ends. there are others that the whole link is solid and has the ends made into it. so what is the advantage of getting a alloy/metal rod if the ends have a chance to break. I know coming from nitro tmax that is fully alloy frame that leaving some things to plastic parts seems to be more flexible and breakable that will save some more expensive parts from bending breaking. was just wondering if I should get the links that have the ends made/casted as one piece to link which looks like a little more expensive or get the ones that have the removable ends. was wondering what others thought for I have not found anybody say pro or cons on one piece links vs links with removable ends. any advise would be great
sirryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: draglink/tie rod ends-solid or removable

Get the ones with the replaceable ends. Not only for breaking but also replacement when they get sloppy. I made my own but the vanquish ones are nice. I made mine with Revo rod ends. Gonna have a tough time breaking those!
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'd recommend the VP titanium tie rod. It uses one of the most popular and strongest plastic rod ends you can get for it's size. the Revo rod end. You don't want the one piece units, they are usually made by a cheezy company and the balls fall out after like a week and/or get really sloppy.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You could make your own steering links with revo ends and some all thread. If you bend or break it, make another.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I tried that with 8/32" and kept bending it. Maybe 10/24" would work better, but I didn't want to keep messing with it. I don't normally recommend VP titanium but I think for the tie rod it's worth it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Vp titanium, or aluminum with plastic ends should do the trick. Strc makes a good set, and i think white knuckle rc does as well. I personally have a strc link on my wraith and WKRC links on my scx10's

Sent from the clouds
Captainkickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I tried that with 8/32" and kept bending it. Maybe 10/24" would work better, but I didn't want to keep messing with it. I don't normally recommend VP titanium but I think for the tie rod it's worth it.
You just need to find some decent threaded rod if you want to make your own. Most of it is grade 2, weak soft **** that can bend just by looking at it. Grade 5 and grade 8 would be much stronger if you can find it in #8 or #10 sizes. Some of the stainless (18-8 or 316) threaded rod would also be stronger with a Rockwell hardness of B70 and tensile strength of 70,000 psi. Stepping up to 10-24 or 10-32 would help as well.

Or you could go in the opposite direction and use plastic threaded rod.

Last edited by Eric0424; 01-22-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, if a 4ft length of 8-32 is easy to bend then that's not a good sign.

To op: yes replaceable rod ends is a better setup. A solid link with rod ends built in is usually garbage.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My vote is for the Blue Monkey links, much better bends than the VP.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Jato ends, 5/32 piano wire, a torch and a stack of dies. The snap on guy hated me that week

My steering links are about the only part I haven't managed to break. Even survived this without a scratch

Last edited by maslin; 01-22-2015 at 08:56 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
links, spawn, wraith

draglink/tie rod ends-solid or removable - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will jato rod ends fix my ti rod problem? J-Fish Axial XR10 8 03-19-2013 06:56 PM
XR10 Wheels with VP draglink and tie rod bbking9 Axial Wraith 12 12-03-2012 09:44 AM
KK high clearance tie-rod vs. CKRC OTA tie-rod vs. ?? BigB_117 EnRoute Berg 64 07-06-2009 11:20 PM
Drilling Holes into Delrin rod for rod ends FDAapproved Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 02-13-2009 03:44 PM