Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Too much motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Default Too much motor?

I have a Tekin SC4X 6.5 turn motor just laying around. Would that be too much motor for my Spawn? I'm expecting new MIP driveshafts and Axial universals to show tomorrow or Saturday, so I will be strengthening the drivetrain. Would need to find a good brushless esc though.
FortCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Default Re: Too much motor?

It is a 550 can motor.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!
Read post #4 then,
Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

<<<< has to many to drink but I luv power....plug it in !!!!
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCrawler View Post
I have a Tekin SC4X 6.5 turn motor just laying around. Would that be too much motor for my Spawn? I'm expecting new MIP driveshafts and Axial universals to show tomorrow or Saturday, so I will be strengthening the drivetrain. Would need to find a good brushless esc though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
<<<< has to many to drink but I luv power....plug it in !!!!
It won't fit without some modding, it's simply too long. I had to trim the right rear suspension mount on the skid plate just to get a 55mm long Reedy 550-SL 3500kV in my Wraith, the SC4x is 66mm long. You'll have to raise the transmission and probably still trim the suspension mount for the SC4x to clear.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Well maybe I need to scratch that. Didn't realize the amount of modding it would take.😕
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

As far as power goes it would be a lot, but no so much it would destroy everything. The 4-pole 540's like the Tekin Pro4, Reedy 544 and Castle 1410 3800 would bolt right in and have plenty of power for the Wraith.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

I have a Pro4 4600kv in my 4x4 shortcourse and it is insanely fast. Can't imagine that thing in the Wraith.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

I run the Pro4 HD 4300 in my SC10 4x4 on 2S and an LRP X12L 5.0 on 2S and 3S, even if they fit I don't think I would run them in the Wraith. Like the Pro4 4600 they're geared towards high RPM, high speed applications. The 3500 Reedy has a lot of power, not quite what I get from the other two motors, but more than enough for the Wraith.

A Pro4 3300kV is probably right where you want to be on speed and power, and probably similar to what you would get from the SC4x 6.5 (3400kV) in overall output. I've got a Pro4 4000, but would like to try the 3300 in the Wraith and think it would be ideal in there.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

Yeah. There is no way I would put that much motor in the Wraith. It sounds to me for the best balance of speed and crawling ability the ROC412 may be the way to go. My only issue is mud and water. I saw Harley "waterproof" his but it looks like a very tedious process. So now I ask myself if staying brushed is the wiser choice?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hahaha... "Too much motor".. No such thing, is there? Or is there? ;)

I couldn't get enough, when I started. Of course, I ended up with a Killer drive train in the end! Lol
I ran a 13.5t redline to start with.. Eh, it was ok for what it was, but it wasn't enough. Then a Pro4 4000kv. It's was a great motor, on 4s! It was kinda like having a slow crawler/foff.. But the rotor didn't like it so much.. :(

Then grabbed a HH Trailmaster BL.. It had Zero issues with 4s and about 20mph in the top end.. Loads of torque and smooth crawling in the bottom end. Again, it wasn't enough..
I have a Pro4 3500kv HD in it now. Geared 54/13 on 4s.. It's got low end crawlability and push 30mph at the top end. Yep, I'm a happy!!!

The Pro4 HD is a 550 and 66mm.. It took a little shaving off the rear link mount, closest to the end of the motor. But didn't have to raise the tranny any.

Waiting for the HH 540xl to come out.. It's a 4 pole monster to rival the Pro4 HD, but with a 540 can length! (From what I'm projecting..)

Since the HH Trailmaster already beats out the ROC and Pro4, in my eyes, I can only imagine what HH will be able to do with a 4 pole!

So save some money over the tekin motor's and grab up a HH Trailmaster BL pro. It's a brushless crawler motor that Isn't stuck in ROAR approved racing guidelines!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

I wouldn't mind giving the 3100 Roc412 a try, of course I need to decide on a permanent ESC for the Wraith first. But for now the Reedy 3500kV is working well enough to get everything else fine tuned.

Despite the comment above, the Pro4 HD will not fit in a stock Wraith/Spawn without modifications. It won't mate up to the motor plate, let alone get a motor screw started. If someone is running an aftermarket chassis/cage and/or skid plate there may be room for something longer, but not with the stock Wraith. And yes, have the motor and the Wraith right here, the Pro4 HD won't fit, the Reedy Sonic 550 and TrakStar 550 don't fit either. When you get to 55-56mm long motors they make contact with the suspension mount and it needs to be trimmed down. At 65+mm you would have to remove a lot of the mount compromising it's strength which is why I recommend raising the transmission.

I actually enjoy reading some to the rhetoric surrounding Tekin.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

While I hear what ur saying. I'll rightfully disagree..

I said "it took a little shaving, but didn't have to raise the tranny"

You say "it won't fit without modification". OK, I agree with that.. But only that!

I have a stock skid mounted to stock wraith frame rails.. Not sure what anything else has to do with it?

Maybe and Only maybe, it won't mate up to the stock motor plate.. But, I have a BWD motor plate, so I can't say it will mate up to the stock plate.

The HD fits with a little bit of coving the lower link mount, at the back of the motor.

In no way did I have to remove "a lot of the mount, compromising it's strength"

It's hard to get a clear pic.. But the little bit that had to be cleared away, doesn't effect anything! I promise! Find my thread and read the abuse this toy takes.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

The Billet Works motor plate may change motor location some, possibly moving it up from what little I can tell from the pictures. What you had to shave off for the long Pro4 HD is about the same I had to trim for the shorter 550-SL. The #30491 stock plate and optional Axial plate #30482 won't allow the longer motor to mate to the motor plate. If a motor plate swap is all it takes to get the longer motor in there it's a small price to pay for the increase in motor options.

Top two pictures are before the trimming, had nearly zero pinion adjustment. The bottom two are after trimming, still not 100% pinion adjustment but close with the 55mm motor.

Last edited by Eric0424; 01-23-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:03 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Reading thru all this motor fitment discussions I wonder; would a modified motor plate solve any issues?
For now I must admit I do not own a Wraith yet (I’m in the ’doing-home-work-phase’), so I stand to be corrected anywhere, anytime.
But looking at all info available I think an altered motor plate could do the trick of providing more space for a larger (550 and alike) motor.
Picture below shows the standard (right) and altered plate (left). This is for indication only.
[IMG][/IMG]
The alteration raises the motor 10mm compared to standard. Because of the top-left transmission bolt the motor ends up a little further from the top shaft (3mm or so). Which will make traditional spur/pinion combos not fit. (Spur cover is also useless, but I guess you figured that one out already).
I can’t estimate the distance from the motor to the cage, so there might be a clash there.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Wraith nor a motor plate. Measurement are taken from the manual and drawn in Autocad. If some decides to execute this project do not copy this sketch. ;)

Last edited by wouterb; 01-23-2015 at 03:18 AM.
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
Reading thru all this motor fitment discussions I wonder; would a modified motor plate solve any issues?
For now I must admit I do not own a Wraith yet (I’m in the ’doing-home-work-phase’), so I stand to be corrected anywhere, anytime.
But looking at all info available I think an altered motor plate could do the trick of providing more space for a larger (550 and alike) motor.
Picture below shows the standard (right) and altered plate (left). This is for indication only.
[IMG][/IMG]
The alteration raises the motor 10mm compared to standard. Because of the top-left transmission bolt the motor ends up a little further from the top shaft (3mm or so). Which will make traditional spur/pinion combos not fit. (Spur cover is also useless, but I guess you figured that one out already).
I can’t estimate the distance from the motor to the cage, so there might be a clash there.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Wraith nor a motor plate. Measurement are taken from the manual and drawn in Autocad. If some decides to execute this project do not copy this sketch. ;)
The motor tucks in under the transmission, you can't simply raise it.

Last edited by maslin; 01-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The BWD motor plate does have long motor mounting slots.
They also jog up on the way out.

This is my scx. Is easier to get a pic of.. Lol..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
I joined the Band!

An altered plate would help, just putting the motor in the 8 O'clock position would do a lot. Getting the motor up 5-8mm would probably work well. I need to make some changes to the Wraith transmission soon, so I'll check and see just how high it needs to be. Only drawback would be raising the center of gravity with the heavy motor up higher.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
Y-Town Crawlers

Troy, how close does the lower link get to the end of the motor can on compression?

I'm feeling the need for speed in my new setup and those big motors look good.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Jake, It rubs and cause's some premature wearing. Lol.. But for the amount of fun I have with it, it's well worth changing a revo end out every so often.

It's been on there a while tho and still fits the ball tight.