Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First wraith mods!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Default First wraith mods!!

I'm new to the crawling scene, not to R/C, and am wondering what some of your guys suggestions are for the first few mods to a stock wraith. Any input is much appreciated as well as pictures. Thanks in advance!
larsotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: First wraith mods!!

Which Wraith, Spawn, Poison Spyder, Rock Racer or the kit?? With the kit I upgraded the steering links, installed 32-pitch gears, bead-lock wheels and a full set of shocks while building it. When I was nearly finished I decided to install aluminum upper links. Now I'm working on upgrading the slipper and I may take advantage of a good deal on the Heavy Duty WB8 drive shafts, but I may just grab a set of MIP's instead.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

the steering links would be the first mod I would suggest.
3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Here is a great chart to use for what you plan on doing found it on rcsparks

Ren
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman819 View Post
Here is a great chart to use for what you plan on doing found it on rcsparks

Ren
That chart is very helpful! Thanks!
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

That's a funny chart!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's a funny chart!
Care to elaborate for those of us that are new to the wraith game? I thought it was pretty good.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I just picked up a PS rtr wraith for my pops. First thing we did was decide what our goal was. We wanted a crawler for the rocks so changing the gearing was our first upgrade along with steering links. We went with 87 16 and put in a HH torquemaster 35t pro. Our plan is to have fun with it and upgrade as things break
maluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

I agree. The upgrades that you decide on will depend on what you want out of the wraith. I would have to say that steering links and the upper and lower links are probably the best first upgrades to do.
Coachdod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #10

P.S. Chart looks good to me. I had not seen it but really like info from RCsparks and find it very helpful. Check out his vids on the wraith too.
Coachdod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachdod1 View Post
P.S. Chart looks good to me. I had not seen it but really like info from RCsparks and find it very helpful. Check out his vids on the wraith too.
Yeah I'm still wondering why the chart is comical myself. I guess if money was no object I would send vanquish my cc info and go to town. If nothing else it seems to be a good chart to compair some different manufactures.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think the reason EeePee found the chart funny was that, if one looks closely, many of the recommendations don't make much sense. (Feel free to smack me down if I'm wrong, EeePee.) Examples include recommending Topcad/Integy front axles (their quality is notoriously sketchy, particularly for highly stressed parts), the idea that driving styles merit such different driveshaft or radio recommendations, and failure to include hardened steel tranny gears on the upgrade list consistently across the board. Also, some of the recommendations are very vague (e.g., ""HH Crawler Motor" - they make dozens of different motors).

Harley's guide to the Wraith (a sticky in this forum) remains one of the best, most comprehensive guides to any RC vehicle that I've seen. My recommendation would be to start with his guide, then use the search function here to get more specific information about the options you're going to consider, and then post specific questions with some background to get the most helpful input here from people with direct experience. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I think the reason EeePee found the chart funny was that, if one looks closely, many of the recommendations don't make much sense. (Feel free to smack me down if I'm wrong, EeePee.) Examples include recommending Topcad/Integy front axles (their quality is notoriously sketchy, particularly for highly stressed parts), the idea that driving styles merit such different driveshaft or radio recommendations, and failure to include hardened steel tranny gears on the upgrade list consistently across the board. Also, some of the recommendations are very vague (e.g., ""HH Crawler Motor" - they make dozens of different motors).

Harley's guide to the Wraith (a sticky in this forum) remains one of the best, most comprehensive guides to any RC vehicle that I've seen. My recommendation would be to start with his guide, then use the search function here to get more specific information about the options you're going to consider, and then post specific questions with some background to get the most helpful input here from people with direct experience. Good luck!
Thank you for the insight. I always believe there is a "best" option, but often times thats the most expensive, when a less expensive product would do the job just fine.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
MODERATOR™

New2rocks has posted more or less why I found it comical. My chart would be different and certainly wouldn't have cheap aluminum parts on it. That chart is just one person's opinion and I found some of the choices to be straight up bad choices, then the mention of RCSparks and then I laughed. And it was just my opinion also.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

that list was made by somebody whos better at looking up parts and making lists than buying parts and building rigs.

its definitely a good start for somebody just getting into the hobby, but things like saying a rc4wd 2sp is better than a metal geared built scx trans is completely subjective.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #16

i would have to say steering links and lower links are a must have. honestly on my hardwood floor turning the ripsaws back and fourth i can watch the steering link flex. when i got it on the rocks.... please... flex city. going after the titanium vanquish links.
Stangracer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Dna4enger posted the chart on rcsparks in the wraith section

Ren
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #18

If you're going to use your wraith for crawling, I suggest looking into trailing arms front and rear in place of lower links. I found this setup allows more articulation over axle mounted shocks. Although you will also have to obtain some type of lowering kit to relocate the upper shock mounts front and rear.

When I changed the plastic steering link to a titanium link, the servo went out in a couple of days. I'm not saying that this is the case for everyone, but your servo is going to absorb the stress that the plastic link used to absorb.
JFKAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKAZ View Post
If you're going to use your wraith for crawling, I suggest looking into trailing arms front and rear in place of lower links. I found this setup allows more articulation over axle mounted shocks. Although you will also have to obtain some type of lowering kit to relocate the upper shock mounts front and rear.

Throw more band-aids on it!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Throw more band-aids on it!
exactly what I did, and I like it
JFKAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

First wraith mods!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free wraith mods ts4n Axial Wraith 18 01-10-2015 11:57 AM