Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd steel wheels bind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rc4wd steel wheels bind

Just got the rc4wd steel wheels for my Wraith but the pin drive hubs are binding against the knuckles or bearing face. Will the rc4wd aluminum hexes https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-12mm-A...s-_p_1125.html and hex hubs OEM Steel 2.2 Stock Beadlock Wheel Hexes for these wheels work? Is stock width OK or do I need the wider hubs?
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rc4wd steel wheels bind

I run the slightly wider hexes on mine. Gives better clearance of the Knuckles. I also run Teflon washers behind the pins even when using hexes.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I ended up milling down the pin drive hubs in my mini drill press with a dremel cut off wheel to make them work.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's the best way to go about it IMO, or go with the hex hubs. Rc3wd has whacky dims on stuff sometimes I've found.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yep. I had to bore out the holes for the threaded end of my axles just to be able to get my wheels on and off. Their tolerances are pretty inconsistent apparently.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I came across that with 1.9 steelie pindrive hubs years ago. They were made way too deep. Just ended up abandoning them and went with hex hubs.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Got a set of those hubs with my 1.9" wagon wheels, they fit just fine on the SCX10 they were intended to fit. Didn't bother trying them on the Wraith since it's 2.2" and has a set of SSD wheels and hex hubs on it. Swapped the 1.9 pin drive hubs for the RC4WD 12mm hex brake rotors because I don't like pin drive wheels and I didn't like the hex nuts on the wheels. The rotors are threaded and use socket screws from the face of the wheels instead of the screws from the back and hex nuts on the face.

As for the pin hub consistency, all the hubs are 7.28mm thick and the pin slots are all 2.42mm deep.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Got a set of those hubs with my 1.9" wagon wheels, they fit just fine on the SCX10 they were intended to fit. Didn't bother trying them on the Wraith since it's 2.2" and has a set of SSD wheels and hex hubs on it. Swapped the 1.9 pin drive hubs for the RC4WD 12mm hex brake rotors because I don't like pin drive wheels and I didn't like the hex nuts on the wheels. The rotors are threaded and use socket screws from the face of the wheels instead of the screws from the back and hex nuts on the face.

As for the pin hub consistency, all the hubs are 7.28mm thick and the pin slots are all 2.42mm deep.
Now if only they stayed with that depth measurement on the cvd's from their portals. The pin hubs bound up against the knuckle/outer bearing while it didn't on xr uni's. Not to mention knuckles binding up on their portals as well, but I digress...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Decided to testl fit the RC4WD pin drive hubs on the Wraith while I had it apart, was cleaning some grass from behind the hexes anyway. The 1.9 pin hubs fit the front Axial universal axles fine and have .020" (.50mm) gap between the hub and bearing. The right rear has .018" (.45mm) gap between the hub and lockout and the left rear has a .014" (.35mm) gap.

If you guys are running aftermarket axles, knuckles and/or rear lockouts, that could account for the poor fit and bind issues. But it could just as easily be poor quality control at the factory producing these hubs. If grinding .29mm (.0114") works, I say grind away. It's a little less hassle than sending them back and possibly getting more that don't fit.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Decided to testl fit the RC4WD pin drive hubs on the Wraith while I had it apart, was cleaning some grass from behind the hexes anyway. The 1.9 pin hubs fit the front Axial universal axles fine and have .020" (.50mm) gap between the hub and bearing. The right rear has .018" (.45mm) gap between the hub and lockout and the left rear has a .014" (.35mm) gap.

If you guys are running aftermarket axles, knuckles and/or rear lockouts, that could account for the poor fit and bind issues. But it could just as easily be poor quality control at the factory producing these hubs. If grinding .29mm (.0114") works, I say grind away. It's a little less hassle than sending them back and possibly getting more that don't fit.
Good to know, I'm 100% stock minus these wheels.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I encountered this problem tonight. Using wraith knuckles on scx10 axles. The outer bearing is flush in the knuckle unlike the scx10 ones I removed. I ended up sanding down the wheel hub with a sanding disc from my dremel kit mounted on a drill.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote