Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Air Suspension question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Air Suspension question

I have been wondering if anyone has ever created an air suspension for a wraith or similar vehicle. I know that this may be more appropriate in the suspension section, but let's be honest, if it's been done, someone here would have done it.

I have a project I am considering where a miniature air jack would make a lot of sense. Basically you would air it up for hill climbs, and air it down for regular use. I suppose you could use two of them if you needed extra ground clearance like a true 1/1, but I have not figured out precisely what I need to do to get it to work.

I am thinking that a the rear suspension would be mounted to a sub unit. The air jack would be placed between the sub unit and the chassis. When inflated, it would provide for extra lift as related between the chassis and the sub unit. Conceivably you could do the same in the front, but I don't think it would really be useful unless it somehow reduced resistance in mud. The design I am thinking of wouldn't really do that, so I think the usefulness would really be limited to changing the angle of the rear suspension to help clear objects and prevent rear roll overs.

Here is some of the hardware I am considering:

The single jack:

Mini Starter Air Jack Air Wedge Aetmaw | eBay

The double jack (would require valves and likely a 6 channel system or something I don't have)

Sears.com

You can pick up a small air pump for an aquarium for next to nothing and they run off of small hobby sized motors.

DC 6V 9V 12V Air Pump 1M Pipe Bubble Stone for Aquarium Fish Water Tank DIY | eBay

Then the issue would be to find a solenoid that had an open and closed position to run after the pump. Open would let all air out, and closed would build pressure. So two on/off switches could theoretically run the rig assuming there the geometry was all figured out.

A penny for any thoughts or a reference to someone who may have done something similar?
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Air Suspension question

I know @scalerfab has something similar(not air suspension) but he uses special shock mounts and controlled by servo installed to raise and lower the chassis with the custom mounts on his scx10 and it does what you are looking for. I dont think there is one for the wraith yet

Ren

Last edited by legoman819; 02-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Air Suspension question

Weight may be an issue.

I have seen the "winch down" technique... to lower ride height by compressing suspension.
Basically, a winch attached to the axle.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Suspension question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Compressor Question. FLB Tools, and Procedures 21 01-12-2020 10:01 PM
Air intake question Colby 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 14 06-12-2013 07:34 PM
I have a tire question,air in or out? speedemall Tires and Wheels 11 09-14-2008 02:49 AM