Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spur replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Default Spur replacement

I have a newer posion spyder wraith I just ruined the spur could someone tell me the best replacement, I am definitely a newbie .
Thanks for any help, don
trailtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Spur replacement

Well there is a lot of threads on this if you use the search tool, but I will save you some time. If you want to stay with the factory 48p 80t spur gear and spend the money once, I would get the HR hardened aluminum spur gear for under 20.00. You can always upgrade to a 32p setup but most wraith owners do this when upgrading to a higher power system. Theres a lot of flexing going on under that wraith and who's to say it was installed from the factory properly. Another option is to get another plastic spur gear for around 6.00 and hope that it doesn't strip out again. Just set the gear mesh properly with a strip of paper between the 2 gears, push the motor up against the spur gear and tighten up the hardware. Pull the paper out and if theres no tears your good to go. If you decide to go with a 32p gear swap than just fold the paper in half, doubling up the thickness. Goodluck.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoasian View Post
Just set the gear mesh properly with a strip of paper between the 2 gears, push the motor up against the spur gear and tighten up the hardware. Pull the paper out and if theres no tears your good to go. If you decide to go with a 32p gear swap than just fold the paper in half, doubling up the thickness. Goodluck.
Thanks for that instruction.. That's really helpful, waiting for new gears to arrive myself..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Greets,

Might as well go 32 pitch and strengthen it up!

This is what I run on my Wraith.
DTXC9397 Duratrax 56t 32p spur. I paid $3.59
LXEW95 Robinson Racing 10t 32p pinion. I paid $3.69
Those are tower part numbers for reference.

This would give you a 5.60:1 ratio. Running stock you probably have 80/20 which would be 4.00:1 ratio. If you are bashing more then crawling use a higher tooth 32p pinion for more speed. a 12t will give you 4.66:1. (Slowing it down some will keep your motor cooler extending it's life)

Cheap fix that should last a long time with proper gear mesh.

Enjoy,
John
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, really got me pointed in the right direction, I have emailed HR to get some Info on their spur upgrade, if I go with their 80t alum spur will I have to change anything else other than the spur itself. Thanks again
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtec View Post
Thanks for the info, really got me pointed in the right direction, I have emailed HR to get some Info on their spur upgrade, if I go with their 80t alum spur will I have to change anything else other than the spur itself. Thanks again
No, its a direct bolt in. Just make sure after you tighten the spur gear down with the 3 bolts, that you snug up the center nut for the slipper clutch adjustment. I typically back it out 1 complete turn from stop, then drive it and make your adjustments from there. Some wraith owners like it completely tight, but I like a little bit of slippage. Helps prevents breakage too.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #7

Ok will do thanks again, I am very new to this and have gotten such good info from this site.

Spur replacement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spur Gear Replacement Tipping Point cmbscx10 Axial Yeti 0 12-07-2014 02:59 PM
Slash replacement spur? STANG KILLA SS Non Crawler RC's 28 08-20-2008 04:57 PM
Stock spur replacement Q Thundermaxx Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 01-16-2008 02:32 PM
Help finding replacement spur gear for cc-01 OR MAKING ONE aljsc2566 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 01-09-2008 09:35 PM