Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: big power ESC's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default big power ESC's?

Has anyone used anything other than a MMP or an RX8? I know these 2 have instant reverse and can be used with sensored motors (which i run). trying to see if any one runs anything else.
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default big power ESC's?

I've been running the Viper VTX8 with ROC 412 3100 on 3s on my Wraith and G6 for almost a year. Overall, I've been very happy with it in both rigs. Field programming with the EZ Link card is fast, easy and very flexible. It's also waterproof out of the box. The only downside I see vs the MMP is that it's sensored brushless only and a bit bigger, but those are non-issues for me the way I've set up those 2 rigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
MODERATOR™

Default Re: big power ESC's?

Sensored only makes more sense anyways.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The Hobbywing Xerun 150 amp is a beast of an esc. Lots of programming options. Regular firmware updates.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Sensored only makes more sense anyways.

Yup. Just no brushed with the VTX8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies TQ Master.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

New2rocks-does the vtx8 have a reverse like the MMP? I don't want a delay.
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default big power ESC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarcan167 View Post
New2rocks-does the vtx8 have a reverse like the MMP? I don't want a delay.
The practice mode ends up working similarly to the MMP's crawler reverse mode, though not exactly. The ESC doesn't force a delay when switching direction if the motor has stopped, but it will lock out reverse if the motor is still spinning forward, and vice versa. As a practical matter, it's not often that I'm trying to switch direction while the motor is still turning, and it's better for the drivetrain if I don't. Worst case, I can flick the trigger to the opposite direction to brake to a stop then flick it again (like double-clicking a mouse) to engage the opposite direction very quickly. It doesn't take long to adjust and, as a practical matter, I rarely notice the difference between this setup and the MMPs that I run.

One thing worth pointing out is that the VTX8 has a much more robust internal BEC than the MMP (5A vs 2A, if I'm not mistaken), which gives the opportunity to run a servo or more power-hungry accessories (such as a winch) directly off of it. In my SCX10, I've been running a Savox 1210 (270-ish oz) with no issues. I had been running servos on the Wraith (Hitec 7950 and Holmes servo) directly off the VTX8 but recently added a Castle BEC to be on the safe side.

Overall, I've been very happy with the VTX8. The only issue that I had was with one of the initial two overheating very early on (within the first few weeks). I sent it back and they provided a replacement. Since then, I've run both of them 30+ hours in each rig without even a hint of a problem. If you're just thinking of trying something different, it's definitely worth a look. I hope that helps. Feel free to send more questions my way if you have any.

Last edited by new2rocks; 02-12-2015 at 08:44 PM.

big power ESC's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power! JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 1351 05-13-2020 03:52 PM
installed big power, Tekin pro 4 hd and now have a few questions? gutsploder Axial Wraith 16 12-07-2013 07:53 AM