Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Any decent alternatives to Vanquish slw hubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Default Any decent alternatives to Vanquish slw hubs?

I just ordered a Wraith Spawn and will be getting it on Thursday, from what it sounds like, the plastic pin hubs will be the first things to go so I have been trying to figure out what hubs to get so I have them on hand.

I've been looking all over the internet and these forums trying to find an alternative to the Vanquish hubs, I know they are high quality but I was hoping to find some in green.

It appears the only alternatives are GPM hubs which do come in green but I've not heard good things about that brand.

Are there any other alternatives that I'm just not finding?

Also can anyone tell me what hubs would be equivalent to the stock offset?

Thanks!
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Any decent alternatives to Vanquish slw hubs?

With the vp hubs being aluminum, prep them well, put some screws in the mounting holes, primer them, then paint them whatever color you want. You get the quality of VP and color of your choice!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I swear by Lattice Innovations Shift Hubs which you can get right here on RCC. I beat the snot out of mine and if you use Gunnar pins (also available on RCC) you have a really secure wheel.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #4

Do VP for what actually touches the wheels and if you plan on doing steering linkage look into that as well with method and alike rims Rub on some links. VP is expensive and lacks flashy colors but is well worth it. My first upgrades were VP c-hubs, knuckles, lockouts, 12mm hex, SLW .475, and axial universals. If you plan on crawling get universals takes steering on the spawn from around 25° to 50° or rubbing lower links whichever comes first.
mike31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
With the vp hubs being aluminum, prep them well, put some screws in the mounting holes, primer them, then paint them whatever color you want. You get the quality of VP and color of your choice!

Can always anno them also
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
^ this, where I just saw the GPM they were the same price as VP anyway.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help, I'm still undecided which route I want to go with, I think it's kinda lame that Vanquish doesn't include the required mounting hardware with their wheel hubs. I might just take a gamble and try the GPM wheel hubs, I'm not planning to go brushless anytime soon so given the nature of this part even lower grade aluminum should be sufficient. Gonna think about it a few more days though and hope I don't strip out my plastic hubs right off the bat.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

If you're worried about $5 worth of bolts on a $500 toy you're in the wrong hobby. How would VP know what color screws you want? The chrome hardware vanquish does supply goes right in the bolt drawer anyway.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
If you're worried about $5 worth of bolts on a $500 toy you're in the wrong hobby. How would VP know what color screws you want? The chrome hardware vanquish does supply goes right in the bolt drawer anyway.
That's a bit of an arrogant attitude. I've spent over $1500 on this hobby in the last few months, so it's not really a cost issue, it's more of a principal thing.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I didn't intend to come across as arrogant, just saying I wouldn't choose an inferior product just out of principal. Fit and finish of the actual part are important to me, the hardware included is often insufficient, if it is even supplied.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Another viable option that may suit what your looking for is the Axial kit they include with the kit Yeti now which changes the plastic hub to suit a 12mm hex.
Bonus is the ali hex is included in the Axial pack & you still need to purchase them separately as well if you go VP or GPM.

Axial IFD Hex Hub Conversion Set
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Another viable option that may suit what your looking for is the Axial kit they include with the kit Yeti now which changes the plastic hub to suit a 12mm hex.
Bonus is the ali hex is included in the Axial pack & you still need to purchase them separately as well if you go VP or GPM.

Axial IFD Hex Hub Conversion Set
Awesome, thanks for posting this, this is exactly what I'm going to get! It will be a good solution until I decide exactly what wheels I want to go with, that way if I go with something that isn't SLW then I didn't waste money on the GPM or Vanquish hub adapters!

Thanks again!

Any decent alternatives to Vanquish slw hubs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Vanquish SLW Hubs? ratrod63 Axial Yeti 3 09-24-2014 09:25 PM