Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Not so long lasting battery :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Not so long lasting battery :(

I have a venom 5000mah 20c 2s pack that i run in my wraith and its alright but what i dont get is why it doesnt last really long at all. Well i only have it out for about 10-15 minutes at a time and thats only because it starts being slow like 5 minutes after i take it out to run! It gets really sluggish and when i slam reverse it stops and starts out reaaaallllllyyyy sssllloooowww. And when i try to crawl/climb like 3/4 foot high ledges it goes up to the ledge and then starts to crawl and then stops. do i need more torque? lower gearing?Is it my battery and i just need a better one? Hobbytown has a 5000mah 40c. Would that fix my problem? Do i just need more power? Or should i wait till the snow melts and just drive my exceed madtorque until then? Also what would a better motor be other than the 27t thats in it right now? Thanks for the help! -Erik
crawllife14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Not so long lasting battery :(

I would try new battery (and brand) or borrow one from someone just to see if it's the pack. Venom isn't known for their quality and the battery could just be weak or defective. It sounds like a battery issue, but there could be other causes as well, so a new or loaner battery to confirm or eliminate it as the source of the problem would help.

Last edited by Eric0424; 02-23-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What Eric0424 said. Try that route first and see what develops. Unless your on and off continuous full throttle, jumping, bashing etc. then those run times are about right. I get the same run time on my short course truck at the local track with those same spec. battery, just different brand. Now for my wraith I use a 4000 mah, 2s 20c and for crawling/ trailing I get over an 1hr easily. Mind you this in a 11# wraith. Everyones run time will be different and depends on how you drive and how your rig is setup. Just because one person gets a certain run time does not mean you will get the same. Im just using mine as an example of how long I can run on my battery spec. when in use. With those battery specs, if your just crawling/ trailing you should get over 30 minutes easily if that's all your doing. If not, you have other issues pending, good luck man.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Actually Venom batteries are supposed to be very good.. sounds to me like its not fully charging. .
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

or maybe the lipo cutoff is set wrong. I have venom batteries and they are good. They have been bought by a new company and come with a lifetime warranty. 1 year and I haven't had a problem. Bu I also run 3s lipo so maybe they are made by a different place then the venom 2s. I don't know why everybody hasn't stepped up to 3s the voltage drop that the battery is allowed before lipo cutoff is more than a 2s and there is more power.
I run a 3s/3300mah venom battery in my wraith and get about 2 hours of crawling and bashing. sometimes close to 3hrs with more crawling.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 02-22-2015 at 11:05 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have two 6600mah 3s packs and have yet to swap packs out yet in the field.. get over 3 hours and not run one down yet..
Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

Not sure what you guys are comparing Venom to, but it really doesn't matter. We're just going to have to disagree on this and move on because good/great quality can be a relative concept. If you're getting some life from Venom, by all means keep on buying. They had their chances with me and some friends and won't get another after a 100% failure rate within a year. The faster stadium trucks and 4x4 short course trucks with 550 motors on 3S may have put too much demand on their batteries, but nearly every other LiPo (2S and 3S) we own is over two years old and have shown no signs of performance loss or odd behavior. The only exceptions are the two recently purchased Trinity packs, they're just 5 months old but performing as they should.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sounds like how mine acts when the ESC hits the lipo cutoff. Trying a different battery should be an easy test. I wouldn't buy a new battery until you can confirm yours is bad first. Check battery voltage to see where it's at after charging. Also check battery voltage when it starts acting up. Post back with your results.

John
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Not sure what you guys are comparing Venom to, but it really doesn't matter. We're just going to have to disagree on this and move on because good/great quality can be a relative concept. If you're getting some life from Venom, by all means keep on buying. They had their chances with me and some friends and won't get another after a 100% failure rate within a year. The faster stadium trucks and 4x4 short course trucks with 550 motors on 3S may have put too much demand on their batteries, but nearly every other LiPo (2S and 3S) we own is over two years old and have shown no signs of performance loss or odd behavior. The only exceptions are the two recently purchased Trinity packs, they're just 5 months old but performing as they should.
I have 4 venom packs. 6 hobby people brand packs and 3 zippy packs (all 3s between 3200 amd 5000mah and all perform the same and not comparing them to anything cause they all work the same for me my son and my buddy who just got a yetti and borrows batteries from me. Instead of just demanding it the battery because you dont like the brand give him a couple suggestions and then let him diagnose the problem.

Shit 3 of the hobby people packs are about 3.5 years old and still work just fine even sold one to my buddy and he is still using his with a vrushless setup for the last 2 years since he got the battery from me. With motors and batteries people have such strong opinions on the different brands when someone has a problem most of the time everybody bashes the brand and just says throw it in the trash and get something better. Trust i have my brands that i stick with but i am always willimg to help anothr rc biddy get his stuff working even if its not one of my goto brands.

Like has been said on here
1 try a different battery and see
2 check voltage cutoff
3 try a different motor.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lipo Shootout 2 – Final Results! « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have the same battery and mine runs until I'm bored. I've never hit the cutoff, even using it on and off for a full day.

As the others have said, try another pack, and what charger are you using?
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm curious what temperatures your motor and ESC are hitting.. Got a cheap temp gun to check with?

And as they say above, check the batteries. Also, check the charger. Got a friend who can charge them for you? See if there's a difference in them then.

From my experience you should get much longer run times out of them. I've got a 3s Venom 5000 mah that'll go for hours on a 10+ lb wraith.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

I've read the stuff Big Squid has to say, I've owned enough of their "reviewed" products to know they're not always a reputable source.

Last edited by Eric0424; 06-13-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
I have
........blah........blah.........blah..........bla h...........blah...........blah
Like I said, good, great, better, best, etc. are relative concepts. With the track record we've personally seen I think even you can understand why I won't waste my time/resources on them again.

Moving on......
Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Its obvious that you are gonna do no help on this thread except to help force your opionion on everybody here. If all you wanna do is talk about venom batteries open a thread but lets help the guy not just rant and rave on his thread.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Like I said, good, great, better, best, etc. are relative concepts. With the track record we've personally seen I think even you can understand why I won't waste my time/resources on them again.

Moving on......
Very mature response quoting me and changing my quote to nonsense.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

27t is fine for a wraith, that's what I run. I've had venom batteries in the past, can't complain, or tell you anything great about them. They worked, until one puffed and took out my emaxx. I use a lot of duratrax onyx batteries now. 1 out of 15 has puffed. I believe your battery may be out of balance, or having an issue. Easy to check, use a different battery, or go to your lhs, and ask for help.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
27t is fine for a wraith, that's what I run. I've had venom batteries in the past, can't complain, or tell you anything great about them. They worked, until one puffed and took out my emaxx. I use a lot of duratrax onyx batteries now. 1 out of 15 has puffed. I believe your battery may be out of balance, or having an issue. Easy to check, use a different battery, or go to your lhs, and ask for help.
We've gotten great service from our Duratrax Onyx LiPo's, between three of use we have just over a dozen 2s and 3S and not one failure in just over 2 years.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #19

I have also had a similar problem and i just had to get a new battery
Nugget04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

when I was younger my buddy and I use t have real bad luck with the china brand and most brand airsoft lipo's those are real bad quality.

Not so long lasting battery :( - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo batterie lasting 20min Skier Electronics 10 06-10-2011 03:21 PM
Super Bully inner axles used on the 2.2 are they lasting? Diamond D RC4WD Bully 20 03-23-2010 09:04 PM
battery help! (long) mnraaron Electronics 6 02-03-2010 02:16 AM
Batteries lasting 5 min tops jwc123 Electronics 6 03-21-2009 09:29 AM
What battery stick packs are the most powerfull and lasting? Gunmetal Electronics 12 11-25-2007 07:59 PM