Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: All bushings in axles..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default All bushings in axles..

Im thinking of going all bushings in the axles after I found a bad bearing on my wraith that I haven't had very long at all. And no its not the inner pinion bearing but an outer rear..

I run in wet and muddy stuff and or sand/dusty places so I'd be swapping bearings every week..

Planed on the pinion bushings so why not swap them all out.. not like I use it as a go fast rig anyways.. now the trans needs bearings as it spins faster..

Thoughts ?
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: All bushings in axles..

I have the bushing on the pinion, more preventative than actual needing in my case I think.

My take on bushings everywhere else is both the bush & the shaft that's in it will always wear, yes the bush should wear faster & the shaft should still last well but it has to wear.
This doesn't bother me so much on the pinion because I know the gear set is wearing anyway.
A bearing however should contain all it's wear internally & not wear on the shaft at all (complete bearing failure & lock up excluded)

Just me but I see bearings & a little regular maintenance cheaper & easier than wearing on the shafts as well.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
I have the bushing on the pinion, more preventative than actual needing in my case I think.

My take on bushings everywhere else is both the bush & the shaft that's in it will always wear, yes the bush should wear faster & the shaft should still last well but it has to wear.
This doesn't bother me so much on the pinion because I know the gear set is wearing anyway.
A bearing however should contain all it's wear internally & not wear on the shaft at all (complete bearing failure & lock up excluded)

Just me but I see bearings & a little regular maintenance cheaper & easier than wearing on the shafts as well.
Yeah, that. Plus, if you're running in sand, water, mud, silt and muck that will just hasten the wear. The fine grain-sand and silt dirt grinding between the shaft(s) and bushing(s) would be like taking some sandpaper to them.

The problem with the axles housing pinion bearing is it's just a little too weak for the axial (thrust) and radial (side) loads it's under. A larger bearing usually remedies the problem, but that requires a custom axle housing. The solid bushing in that location is a fix as well, but there's the added wear on the pinion gear shaft.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
A larger bearing usually remedies the problem, but that requires a custom axle housing.
Dlux modded stock housings.. Has a 13mm bearing
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You were just unlucky. Stick with bearings. It's always wet/muddy where I live and play and have have not had to change a bearing yet. I do run bushings on the pinion though just because Harley said so. Haha.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok I will order a replacement and extras.. thanks.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote

All bushings in axles.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread TheScaleAddict Axial Wraith 276 03-21-2018 11:27 PM
VP Bushings redcatguy Axial XR10 22 11-15-2010 01:02 PM
You Know You Need New Bushings When.... Shaun Chit Chat 16 08-15-2008 04:06 PM
bearings or bushings ??? 48machinerulz Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-31-2007 02:28 PM