Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Steering Cuts out with AE-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Default Steering Cuts out with AE-2

OK I'm getting really frustrated, I could use some help from anybody that has a good idea here...

I run: 1300mAh 3S LiPo, ESC power wire removed, 10A CC BEC set to 6V, Hobbico CS-170 servo.

For the past couple weeks, my steering cuts out but I'll still have throttle controls. If I manually run through the steering range, the servo kicks back on (for a little while at least). Cold electronics, fresh pack, doesn't matter. What I find odd is that it doesn't always cut out, sometimes I can go through a whole day of crawling without the steering cutting out.

Any ideas?

Sent from my 306SH
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Steering Cuts out with AE-2

You may have a crack in a solder joint on the circuit board or other component inside the servo. The pot. (potentiometer) may be going bad, brushes in the servo may be worn out if it's got some age on it. I'm thinking it's the servo, but check your plug(s) and connections at the receiver, BEC and the wires leading to the servo before buying a new one. The pins in the plug could be weak breaking the connection or there could be a break in the wiring.

If the servo was rough or tried to lock up while you were manually ranging the steering, there could be a chipped gear tooth getting stuck in the gears. If it was smooth through the full range of motion then the gear train is probably okay.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

The wiring and plug seem to be in good shape. The servo goes through its range smoothly and it's only about a year old.

I'll resolder the BEC wires, and if that doesn't fix it then I'll get a new servo and go from there.

Could it possibly be radio related?

Sent from my 306SH
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Honestly, anything is possible. But with your throttle working I'm thinking the problem is servo and/or BEC related. If you could try your servo in another car/truck or another servo in yours, it would help eliminate it as the cause if nothing else.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #5

That's a good plan, I'll do that and report back.

Thanks Eric!

Sent from my 306SH
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

You're welcome.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 AM   #7
RCC Addict

That's a small Lipo. Could that not be causing issues? I know you say it does not happen all the time but maybe it's not balanced or you drive differently sometimes?
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
That's a small Lipo...maybe it's not balanced or you drive differently sometimes?
Wiz! Yeah, my rig probably thinks I'm bipolar because I have days of super slow, super technical crawling, then the next day at a different spot I'm yellin' "SKINNY PEDAL!!" I run the 1300's to save weight, I'm super competitive and my buddy has an MOA that he took to Nationals in '08 that I try to keep up with (key word - try).

I always balance them to peak 4.2/cell when I charge them, however I don't look at what the voltage on them is when I put them on to charge. It's a possibility that I could have one cell getting tired quicker than the rest I suppose.

Should I look at trying a different battery brand maybe? I've been using Venoms for years, they've never let me down before.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Can you borrow another pack to test? Preferably a bit bigger. You have a powerful servo that could be causing brownouts as it can't get the power it needs maybe?
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #10

OK, it's working now (hopefully).

I split the case to check the gears, all good. I checked the circuit board, all good. I put it back together, no good. Swapped servo back to stock, unplugged BEC and reinserted power for ESC; no good.

I put a 5000 3S in that was fresh off the charger, no good. Put a different brand 2200 3S in, no good. Then tried a 2000 2S, still no good.

In my downtime, I took my steering links off because I wanted to ditch the odd mount that Integy uses for their links. I'd also noticed that my drag link was dragging across the diff cover while ranging the steering.

I moved the drag link, flipped the servo (to be able to reach the mount, ditching the pathetic Integy mount), reattached the steering link; all good.

It looks funny, but I've gone through four packs of heavy servo use and still no glitching.

Sent from my 306SH
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm not sure maybe the radio?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

Realized when I got home that my servo horn would take a beating, so I put the links back with the servo still flipped.

It's still working, so I don't know. Maybe today is just a good Wraith day.

Sent from my 306SH

Steering Cuts out with AE-2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brxl cuts out idaho Electronics 8 04-18-2014 06:54 AM
Ae-2 Cuts Out MattyO Electronics 11 10-01-2013 05:02 AM
Steering cuts in and out Big Sarge Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 08-13-2013 07:32 PM
Throttle cuts out supergper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 08-22-2011 10:45 PM
cuts out macs406 Electronics 3 01-19-2010 06:07 AM