Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Go Fast Wraiths...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Go Fast Wraiths...

So I have only had my wraith out a couple times but not sure what i want it to be, at first I wanted it as a crawler but I enjoy crawling with my 1.9 more. Today had it out with some friends and was doing some hill climbs, jumping roots, donuts and I guess kinda lightly bashing.

I was wanting more speed, I did switch my gearing to a 84/16 from the stock RTR gearing as I knew the motor wouldn't last. So wanted to hear from the guys who made their wraiths fast and fun.

What did you do to it, faster motor, brushless? Gears? Suspension?
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Go Fast Wraiths...

I am running 3S with sidewinder 3 and Holmes hobbies 13T crawlmaster pro. Running 12/56 32P gears. My buddy has the axial brushless in his. its about 3-5 mph faster on 3s than mine. I am not sure what gearing he is running i think stock. we bashed and crawled and mine blew his away as a crawler and his wheelies and is crazy and flips constantly as a basher. he tore up his rear locker as he was yelling more power as he blasted up some rocky rooted out hill climb... mine was flawless and I am super happy with it
MIcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

A good sensored brushless and mid range gearing can get you the best of both worlds. Low end torque when you need it for crawling, and top end wheel speed for hill climbs and etc.

Personally I run a 3300kv Pro4 on 3s controlled by a Mamba Max Pro, 56t spur, 15t pinion with 32pitch gears, and the RC4WD AX2 2 speed transmission. I've broken many parts, and will break many more with this setup as have just about everybody running any sort of power on their RC's..

I believe the 2 speed trans gives me the best of both worlds. Low gear is just that, low.. Plug in my sensored wire and I have no issue going nice and slow up and down obstacles. A flick of a switch and I've got more than enough wheel speed to really get me into some trouble.

You can get the best of both worlds without going the route I've gone. Others have already suggested how, and it can be done much cheaper than buying a second RC, let alone the modifications needed to make that second rc reliable.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ssd rc trans 3000kv with mmp 16/56 gears hoping for 30 mph lol if I want to go slow I have my scx10
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Depends how far on the fast side you want to go. Castle 3800 SC set-up, unlocked diffs, lowered suspension, swaybars and some 2.8 wheels. It was a whole different animal. Was no longer set up for crawling at all, was a high speed basher. Had a blast with it -was definitely a fun experiment.

Before bodywork:
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Going fast was fun, expensive though. You will break parts, most likely every time you go out. Definitely need to think about an open diff for the front, it gets sketchy over 20.

Mine now tops out around 15, fast enough to be fun, but I (my wallet) enjoys it much more as a crawler. Good excuse to get a 6s basher 8th scale too

Clipped a cinder block at 20ish.

Breaking a locker a day, until I ran out of spares and got a spool.

Grab a handful of HD gear sets while you're at it. Stockers won't last a week, HD is much better if shimmed.

That front shaft was in the truck for literally 10 minutes. $47 for 10 minutes.

Locked solid axles aren't a great go fast platform. $1500 in to a Wraith, and a $200 2wd slash will walk you.

Fun? Absolutely.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Going fast was fun, expensive though. You will break parts, most likely every time you go out. Definitely need to think about an open diff for the front, it gets sketchy over 20.

Mine now tops out around 15, fast enough to be fun, but I (my wallet) enjoys it much more as a crawler. Good excuse to get a 6s basher 8th scale too

Clipped a cinder block at 20ish.

Breaking a locker a day, until I ran out of spares and got a spool.

Grab a handful of HD gear sets while you're at it. Stockers won't last a week, HD is much better if shimmed.

That front shaft was in the truck for literally 10 minutes. $47 for 10 minutes.

Locked solid axles aren't a great go fast platform. $1500 in to a Wraith, and a $200 2wd slash will walk you.

Fun? Absolutely.

What type of motor/battery setup are you running?

I would never make the wraith crazy fast, just a tad faster than stock but also not have to worry about the motor burning up.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

4550kv brushless geared 64/11 and higher on 3s.

Now I'm at 3100kv geared 60/13 on 3s, 12mph or so at this gearing. Might go to 56/13 for a little bit more speed.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

I have to say I went with the tekin roc412 3300 motor with a tekin rs esc and it has all the smooth low end with gobs of torque but tremendous wheel speed when you want it. A great middle ground setup to get the best of both worlds and then just play with gearing to where you want it. Worth the money that's for sure.
Wraithnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys who are running a faster setup running lighter weight wheels?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Depends how far on the fast side you want to go. Castle 3800 SC set-up, unlocked diffs, lowered suspension, swaybars and some 2.8 wheels. It was a whole different animal. Was no longer set up for crawling at all, was a high speed basher. Had a blast with it -was definitely a fun experiment.

Before bodywork:
That looks so good with larger rims.. nice rig man.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

These past couple of weeks have seen major changes to my Wraith too.
If you want it fast you gotta bite the bullet and invest.

My setup:
1) Tekin ROC412 3100kv
2) Castle MMP
3) Replaced entire RTR stock tranny with Spawn's (32p 56/12 = 4.67)
4) 3s LiPo
5) Strengthening hardware like MIP shafts, VP knuckles , etc.

I agree with others that you may not want it too crazy fast--to avoid major damage.
I clocked my max speed at 17mph.
1SweetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Go fast wraiths are great fun.

Running a trackstar 10.5t (3730kv) with an x-car 80a esc and 3s 2200mah 30C lipo, geared 60/12

Max temp I've seen on the motor so far is 45C so plenty of room to gear up yet if I wish.

Changed to 32p gears, spools front and rear, robinson transmission gears, mip cv's, junfac centre shafts, strc lockouts and probably more im forgetting. Just the usual things you have to do to take the power really.
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If I upgraded to a ROC12 would that have more speed than stock and still have good crawling torque? Or am I better switching to a Pro 4 HD?

I don't need crazy speed just want moe than stock and be able to run without getting warm
Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #15

I'm running the Tekin SC4X Sensored Brushless 550 Motor: 7.5T, 3000Kv/mamba max pro with a 12t pinion and whatever the stock spur gear is in a wraith spawn on 2s and it works flawlessly. Haven't broken anything yet and I'm not planning on running it on 3s for that very reason.
CaliCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Ok, I gotta ask, are you looking for fast in a straight line, fast in the corners.........how much do you like your wraiths chassis flex......
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

more offroad speed = more need of flex
corefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corefire View Post
more offroad speed = more need of flex
To an extent, yes. Too much flex and the rig gets hard to control at speed and won't go in a straight line due to chassis torque. Keeping the power to the ground is important in both speed and crawling.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i run 3s, Traxxas rebranded mamba max pro, Tekin 13.5 redline, and AX2 2speed trans. I love it, perfect for low speed techincal areas and high gear gets me the wheel speed i want.

As to flex, setup a swaybar setup and you're golden. Lets suspension cycle and flex low speed and stiffens up cornering.

Also, 2 stage shock pistons to be able to fine tune your damping and rebound speeds
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I should have worded that better, what I meant to say was articulation....
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Fast Wraiths... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to wraiths have some ???s RednekCrawler Axial Wraith 4 12-11-2011 07:46 AM
2 wraiths k.o.h. ROLANDROCKSHOP Scale Videos! 1 07-17-2011 05:45 AM
** Wraiths in Motion ** Axial Wraiths attack the PNW! toyofast Scale Videos! 25 07-03-2011 09:23 AM