Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servo saver or servo arm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Default Servo saver or servo arm?

Well I got my Cirrus CS-80 installed in my Wraith Spawn and had about 10 minutes of fun before I stripped out the stock plastic servo arm.

I'm trying to decide whether I should run a servo saver or a metal servo arm.

My intentions for this truck is for it to be a crawler/trail runner/hill climber. I'm not intending to put insane power in it and make it go fast so "high speed" impacts will not be a major factor but I do like climbing hills and jumping off rocks with some speed so there will be a fair amount of falls and tumbles the truck will take.

So with that in mind what should I go with?

Plastic Linkage/Servo Saver
Plastic Linkage/Metal Servo Arm
Metal Linkage/Servo Saver
Metal Linkage/Metal Servo Arm - I would think this would be best for crawler only rigs and would put the most stress on the servo, but would it be too much for my servo if jumping, rolling and tumbling is involved?

Here is a link to my servo. It's pretty big and seems pretty stout but I'd rather avoid any options that have a high chance of breaking it.
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Servo saver or servo arm?

Most crawler's don't run servo savers because in a bind, all the steering effort will go into the saver, and your tires won't turn. If you want a little give, keep the stock licorice steering lankages, but I'd definitely use the metal arm, clamping type
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

No saver unless you run fast.
Alum servo arm and links for best steering "feel"
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I tried a saver and frankly I'd rather trash my servo and enjoy driving. I cannot tolerate flex in my steering linkage. Every bit of slop lowers definition and feel...especially with a cheap servo. I change out the rod ends more often than I change out the servo...and I have gone through a few servos.

Just my opinion.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

So I ran the Wraith through a battery pack today using the included servo saver and for bashing type driving it was fine but as soon as I tried to do some crawling the steering was awful. This was with the stock plastic linkage and the stock servo saver.

I will definitely be getting an aluminum servo arm and will try that with the stock steering linkage. I'm gonna hold off on metal linkage until I can get a couple backup servos(planning to try the solar d772). Right now this is my only good servo and I'd rather be able to drive the truck even if it's not ideal than not be able to drive it at all while I'm waiting on servos.

Thanks for the input!
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo saver or servo arm? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo exploded today....and servo saver? SinCity Axial SCX-10 10 01-18-2011 08:20 AM
Servo Saver for large scale servo.. Lunchboxer Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 05-11-2006 10:17 AM
Part # for 1/4 scale servo saver or arm chuukrc Electronics 4 08-19-2004 01:03 PM