Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spawn questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Default Spawn questions

New guy here so take it easy on me. Bought my son a new spawn this weekend. I intend on running nimh for a while. My question is can someone give me a parts list for upgrades to make it more crawl worthy. Not looking for speed mods. Just the must haves for better crawling. Maybe even add links if you can because since I'm new I might not know what you are talking about without seeing it. By the way I already moved the battery forward. Thanks in advance.
Tswafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Spawn questions

Look under "Rock Crawling God"

Ren
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Can that chart go away now?

Gear it down and enjoy it. You will probably find the steering links to be flexy and the servo to be weak. Upgrade as needed.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

I see the sheeple chart makes another appearance.

As for must haves for crawling, replace the shocks and lower your gearing. Then upgrade the parts that break and make changes based on your specific needs (terrain, driving style, performance needs/wants, etc.). And a little research on specific parts and modifications you're considering wouldn't hurt when you get ready upgrade.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Gear down, lower CG and get some good tire foams!

The rest, replace when it breaks.

John
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Can that chart go away now?

Gear it down and enjoy it. You will probably find the steering links to be flexy and the servo to be weak. Upgrade as needed.
Search button or just look back a page or 2 and you will see like 6 of these spawn threads asking the same questions. check them out there are good answers in there but the guys with the info aren't gonna keep taking all the time to post up all the good info over and over.

I think the same thing everytime I see it. So much there my brain just shuts down and doesn't want to work. I just wanna play with my wraith not read some type of stock chart or the periodic table of wraith nonsense.

Must have option parts

Got a Spawn RTR - upgrade question

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-09-2015 at 07:10 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'd focus on durability. On my spawn I've killed the stock servo and my transmission idler gear running on 2s. Still running on the stock steering and suspension links. I rigged up a homemade droop kit and that really helped with the handling. Gearing down on the pinion/spur gear will help with crawling a ton. Lipos will help when you decide to go that route.
Boover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

I don't have expert level experience, although I will say, I really enjoyed my Wraith Spawn right out of the box with a little 2S lipo. I thought it was a BLAST and my crawling ability was/is still probably more limited by my poor driving than my Wraith. I highly recommend enjoying the truck out of the box with just moving the battery to the front. That being said, I immediately was unimpressed by the stock steering links and stock shocks.
HoldDaMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #9

I can tell you what i did to the one i have. I changed the 12t pinion to a 10t,moved the battery forward ( lipo 2s 4000mah. 25c) moved the receiver to the rear and the ESC to the front. I also added a Castle BEC. You can also add a metal strip on each side of the frame were the body mount screws are and use Valcro to hold the body on.
floridaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Most of the guys that really use their rigs on a regular basis are 3s. why the hesitation to suggest 3s more power and longer run times with the extra cell of capacity. I have been 3s since I got into the hobby years ago and never looked back at 2s ever. Never burned up an esc or anything.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
Most of the guys that really use their rigs on a regular basis are 3s. why the hesitation to suggest 3s more power and longer run times with the extra cell of capacity. I have been 3s since I got into the hobby years ago and never looked back at 2s ever. Never burned up an esc or anything.
Agreed with the 3s as long as you upgrade the drive train. 3s likes to eat ring gears and driveshafts in my experience. The stock tranny held up pretty well tho. Its worth upgrading the drive train anyway because it will fail even on 2s with a little bashing.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Spawn questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New spawn kenny1219 Axial Wraith 6 03-29-2015 10:41 AM
Yet one more spawn jmercier Axial Wraith 1 02-19-2015 12:44 AM
What to do first to the Spawn??? FortCrawler Axial Wraith 16 02-13-2015 02:00 PM
Spawn! FortCrawler Axial Wraith 39 02-04-2015 03:35 PM
Spawn jlsandkes Axial Wraith 2 11-17-2014 01:27 PM