Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Good diff cover & skid plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Good diff cover & skid plate?

Been crawling with my Wraith over lots of rocks, and the front and rear diff covers are taking a beating. So I'm thinking I may need some metal diff covers and/or skid plate for some protection.

So my first question is, do I need both a diff cover and skid plate, or just one or the other?

Can someone recommend a good quality diff cover (scale appearance is NOT important) and perhaps a metal plate as well to go under the pumpkin if that's needed?
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Good diff cover & skid plate?

for diff covers I would say vanquish I have read on here that the Hot racing ones are thin . The skid plates DMG makes look like they can take a beating.
ribaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

None of that is needed.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I was wearing through front housings/covers until the gears were hanging out. Put an RC4WD cover on with a new housing and no more problems

I landed a 10ft jump into a football sized rock, right on the diff cover. It was a bad bad noise, no damage though.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I will second the Poison Spyder diff covers. They are well made and worth the price for each. You don't need a skid plate up front, just more to get hung up on.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

DMG skid plates are excellent. I have them on 3 of my wraith builds and am putting them on the other 4 soon. 35 bucks a pair and I have not had a single issue with them hanging up on anything, period.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ive used both the axial aluminum diff cover and a vanquish one as well both have held up great. i actually hit a pointy rock soo hard it left a dent in the axial diff cover. i mean a substantial dent where you could see the deformation on the inside. i was going flat out as fast as my roc412 could go for a good 30 feet before hitting the rock. all the internals were unharmed i kinda would have liked to see how mangled everything would have been if i had a stock plastic cover.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
DMG skid plates are excellent. I have them on 3 of my wraith builds and am putting them on the other 4 soon. 35 bucks a pair and I have not had a single issue with them hanging up on anything, period.
Same here, good investment Imo. It protects my diff covers front and rear and also my VP housings from getting beat. Trust me, when you spend this much money you want to protect it.

Like EEEPEE stated, not needed. Its more of a want item.

Last edited by Revoasian; 03-18-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I ended up ordering the DMG skid plates, I think they will work best for my setup...
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I saw a guy who wore out the bottom of his axles, having just a solid cover wouldn't prevent that I would think.

I had AMF skids for a bit, they were terrible, wore through and broke pretty quickly.

I have the DMG skids as well now... I felt the front stuck out a bit much so I cut it and moved it back about 1cm.

thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #11

The DMG skid plates are great! You won't need a different diff cover with these but the DMG will protect that too if you want to get a nice aluminum one or one with a design on it. I was holding off on getting the Poison Spyder RC4WD ones for my Wraith PS due to me not wanting to scratch them up. Like I said these work great, and I have not noticed them getting hung up on anything more than stock. Plus they slide over more of the stuff without you needing to worry about your diff and axels.
Termite Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
RCC Addict

The alloy cover has greatly reduced the housing wear. I smack it on everything, no way I would want it to be even lower.

All I worry about is having to carry my truck back to the shop before lunch is over
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

The screw in the bottom of the Skid of the DMG always looks susceptible to damage? I thought it would have been countersunk to try and keep it out of the way?
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Good diff cover & skid plate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
skid plate diff cover evan03 Idaho 2 07-06-2014 04:28 PM
A cover for the battery in back? plate that will cover the rear bed? davidq19 Axial Wraith 7 01-28-2012 11:24 PM