Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Introducing the Blue Whale brawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

Default Introducing the Blue Whale brawler

Hey Folks, just wanted to introduce myself and start a thread tracking my casual attempt to build a 20-80 basher/crawler (brawler?).

After a 8 year hiatus from RC (mostly on-road racing), I decided it was time to give RC'ing a try again and introduce my daughter to this money pit... er I mean really fun hobby.

So we found ourselves in our local hobby shop trying to find something that had a scale look and would survive the bashing that only a 4 y.o. can do. We were initially planning on picking up a SCX10... but both fell in love with the PS Wraith as soon as we saw it. She loves the blue color, and is very much into the Octonauts right now (don't ask), so we've dubbed it the 'Blue Whale".

So here it is mostly stock:

It's been great fun bashing around the back yard, but it's clear that there is much work to be done here... so let the slide down the slippery slope begin!
Silvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Introducing the Blue Whale brawler

After reading the stickies and watching Harley's budget build videos (fantastic work dude), I've started to put together a list of mods and would love to hear suggestions for some no/low cost things to start with.

Here's what I currently have on the list (no surprises here):

1. Switch to the 3-hole pistons for the shocks. I believe (according to the manual) that this would provide a bit more dampening without going to stiffer springs (increased rebound).

2a. Relocate the battery to the front. I currently have a 2s LiPo in a hard case with the slot in cables (ugh)... so it should be interesting to see if I can make it fit. No current plan to switch to 3s battery as I'd like to stay with the stock ESC and motor for now.

2b. Find suitable places for the ESC/Receiver to make room for the battery.

2c. Easy access hood cover to access the battery without removing the body. I'm hoping to DYI this vs. buying a kit.

3. 84 spur/16 pinion per Harley's recommendation. I need to slow the car down for my daughter anyway.

4. Remove the damn steering wheel. While I like scale look, it just makes accessing the on/off switch in the stock location a PITA. I may put it back in if/when I relocate the switch.

Any other DIY mods recommended? Is there anything I can do to the tires to improve grip until I pick up something with better a compound? Has anyone made their own steering knuckle weights? Was toying with the idea of using strong magnets (eg. out of a hard drive), but haven't engineered a good solution yet.

Most other upgrades will wait until things break, but I'm so tempted to buy a better servo, horn, and steering links.

One more gratuitous shot:

Last edited by Silvek; 03-19-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Leave the Steering wheel in, add a nice driver and don't bother with the on/off switch. I never use them on any RC. Just unplug the pack when done.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My ESC and receiver are in the back, in a little box/tray I made out of lexan. I also do not use the on/off switch.

You're off to a good start!
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I moved my 2s 5000 up front . I moved my electronics to the rear where the battery was. and put the on/off switch in the hole where the old batt wires came out. looks good and works well. I did extend the esc power wires to reach under the hood
rockslider12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yea much better to just unplug the battery, especially if down the road you get A BEC you will need to anyway. I bypassed the switch and re-used it for some lights.
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Leave the Steering wheel in, add a nice driver and don't bother with the on/off switch. I never use them on any RC. Just unplug the pack when done.
I usually remove the switch and hard wire as well, dang switches always give out eventually.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Any other DIY mods recommended? Is there anything I can do to the tires to improve grip until I pick up something with better a compound? [/QUOTE]

You can slice the knobbies on your tires with a nice new razor blade and maybe trim the foam down and get some better squish out of the tires.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
It's a bit tricky with the battery in the front and no hood flap yet.

I will eventually get rid of the switch though...

And as for a driver, if my daughter get's wind of this I fear Elsa from Frozen will be driving the truck.

Last edited by Silvek; 03-19-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
My ESC and receiver are in the back, in a little box/tray I made out of lexan. I also do not use the on/off switch.

You're off to a good start!
Thanks for the idea... though I think I may have found a solution that keeps the ESC in the front. Will post pictures later and y'all can tell me if I'm crazy.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBiter View Post
You can slice the knobbies on your tires with a nice new razor blade and maybe trim the foam down and get some better squish out of the tires.
Hm interesting... can you provide additional details on how slicing the knobbies lead to more grip? I am considering venting them via a couple small holes.

Thanks for the suggestions all, keep them coming!

Last edited by Silvek; 03-19-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Cutting creates more more supple flexible tread lugs that will hook up more.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Cutting creates more more supple flexible tread lugs that will hook up more.
Sound like far too much work... I think I'll just order the R35 compound tires.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 AM   #14

So the battery relocation is done. I moved the entire tray, and then trimed one side for easy access. Fits as snug as a bug... though I did zip tie it to the chassis at the top as well to better hold it in place.

The ESC was interesting. Rather than move it to the back of the truck, I reused a mounting hole and attached sideways it between the battery and the servo using the original bracket.

This is what it looks like:

Closeup:

Old 03-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #15

As for the receiver, I removed it from the extra large (but water resistant) box and mounted it out of sight in the drivers footwell.

I then wrapped the antenna wire around the roll cage and under the roof so it was hidden.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #16

Next up: 84/16 spur/pinion and (if I get time this weekend) enabling easier battery access.

But I'm mostly looking forward to a kids b'day party on Saturday where this truck will likely be the star of the show.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:47 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I would not recommend sipping the BFG's as they work great with a heavier rig. I really like mine after about 50 pack's they really started to soften up and really bite.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #18

It looks like we are tracking the same trail. I just got my Wraith Poison Spyder and am getting my son (7y/o) into R/C as well after I have been out for years. In a few months I am going to get him his own Wraith Spawn as a surprise B-Day gift. For now we are having a blast bashing around, but I can't wait until we can hit the trail/rocks together challenging each other with different lines.

Any hoo, one small thing to do is open up the wheels and move the rim over to open the third vent. The stock setting is at two open. With three, it will flow/squish a little more and form to the ground better. I added DMG diff sliders front and rear and I got those as well for my sons Spawn. They work awesome!

I am about to open the shocks and switch out the pistons, as soon as my shock oil comes in (a little bit of a wait being stationed in Germany, the mail takes forever). I got the R35 BFGs and they are much softer and climb better than stock, but for bashing and the trail I still use the stock BFGs.
Termite Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

See how I did my stock battery tray.

SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite Toothpick View Post
It looks like we are tracking the same trail. I just got my Wraith Poison Spyder and am getting my son (7y/o) into R/C as well after I have been out for years. In a few months I am going to get him his own Wraith Spawn as a surprise B-Day gift. For now we are having a blast bashing around, but I can't wait until we can hit the trail/rocks together challenging each other with different lines.
Nice! My daughter isn't quite old enough to pilot the rig by herself, but i getting there. I can't wait until she is able to crawl with it. I'm sure your son will love the b'day present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite Toothpick View Post
Any hoo, one small thing to do is open up the wheels and move the rim over to open the third vent. The stock setting is at two open. With three, it will flow/squish a little more and form to the ground better. I added DMG diff sliders front and rear and I got those as well for my sons Spawn. They work awesome!
Great tip... I'll add this to the list.

Introducing the Blue Whale brawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Le Comp Brawler oahuzuki Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 05-01-2013 11:45 AM
Dead Blue Whale & Calf at the Bean rckjeep California 3 10-07-2010 09:47 AM
Whale wars shelby Chit Chat 74 07-18-2010 09:19 AM