Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Which Brushless motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which Brushless motor?

I bought a used wraith that has a Holmes torque master motor in it and I am not happy with the performance. I am considering going sensored brushless. My wraith has mip driveshaft and axial universals already. I know the mmp is a good esc to use but I'm not sure on the motor. I want good low throttle control and decent speed for a little bashing. I'm looking for 80/20 maybe closer to 90/10 crawling/bashing. Should I go with the Tekin redline gen2, Tekin Roc 412, Tekin pro4, or maybe a Holmes revolver s 540? These are all expensive motors are there any good lower cost motors? I just don't know which way to go.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which Brushless motor?

you can not go wrong with a castle mmp and a holmes hobbies trailmaster pro bl brushless motor...79.00 is a bargain for the power of that motor...

I replaced a 13.5 tekin redline and a tekin roc 412 3100kv with the HH brushless motors...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This one?
Holmes Hobbies LLC

Is a 2 pole motor smooth enough for crawling?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if it werent, i wouldnt have put them in my crawlers

mine have excellent low speed crawling and awesome torque and speed when needed...yes, the link you posted is the one
Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
you can not go wrong with a castle mmp and a holmes hobbies trailmaster pro bl brushless motor...79.00 is a bargain for the power of that motor...

I replaced a 13.5 tekin redline and a tekin roc 412 3100kv with the HH brushless motors...
I'm currently running a 3100kv ROC 412 and just spoke with my lhs bud about ordering me a 13t Crawlmaster.
Not so much as a replacement but I'd like to have another motor on hand.
I also agree for the price its a lot of motor.
billy bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I also have a 13t crawlmaster in my scx10 powerwagon... but for heavy duty trail/rock fun, its brushless all the way
less maintenance for me!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Harkey has pages of wraith related gearing. Motors, etc...
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Mine has a MMP with tekin redline 17.5. Very happy with it, crawls great and has enough speed for doing small jumps. The MMP is nice because you can run more than 3 cell if you want. I normally run 2200 3 cells but I have a couple 4 cells if I want to go faster
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run both Pro4 and ROC412 on 2.2 rigs. Killer motors, but pricey... Besides the allready mentioned HH motor you could also look at Hobbywing 3656SD 3400 kv. Fairly priced 4 pole. I've heard nothing but great things about Hobbywing.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just noticed the mmp only has a drag brake setting up to 40%. Is that high enough to hold the truck on a steep incline?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You can tune it up to 213%, but don't look blindly on percentage. How much drag brake you actually get depends on what motor you're running on it. I run 40% with a Pro4 3300 kv and it will roll very slowly down steep decents.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

X-car 120a I own this ESC and it is by far one of the best ESC's I have ever used. Also I have a couple buddies that have hard on's for Tekin and Castle products.......After seeing this guy in action they now have a couple of these. You can pair it with one of these
4Pole 4250KV

or if you want more speed

4 Pole 4850KV

You can them program the esc to start out slower. They call it punch on this particular ESC. Better for crawling. You can have this setup for less than $90. My system performs better than my buddies MMP that are paired with ROC412 Tekin motors. Just saying. And you really cannot beat the price.
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I was looking at that esc earlier. Does it have a drag brake? Does it have instant reverse setting or do you have to double tap reverse?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yes it has a drag brake setting if you purchase the programming boxProgramming box You can program drag brake setting from nothing to 100%. To give you an idea 80% is enough to flip my wraith. You can also program Forward only, Forward with reverse after double tap, and Forward with instant reverse. They title it as a crawler setting. Plus the ESC is flashable with Hobbywing V3.1 firmware which does give improved speed and seems like it also runs cooler since I flashed mine. You can use the box to connect the ESC to the computer and program everything via their software as well. And this thing has a data logger as well so after a run you can view things such as motor and esc temps and max rpms....

Check out the manual for it Manual That way you can see all the programming options. If you hook up the sensor on the motor you can literally creep just as slow as a high turn brushed motor. I can post a video if you want.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Sure a video would be great. Which motor do you use? How fast is it in upper speeds?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I use the 4850KV Trackstar motor that I provided the link for earlier fantastic motor man! I have it dialed down right now through the ESC. If I don't dial it down so to speak I rip through idler gears something fierce. I got a RR Steel one on its way just waiting. I also changed my diff gear to Robinsons as well. Let me get dressed and I will step out on the back porch and get a video for ya. I dont have a lot to crawl over in my neighbor hood but I will set something up so you can see. Give me about 15 mins or so.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Great thanks. Wouldn't a lower kv motor be better for crawling as it will provide more torque at lower speeds? I know brushless motors don't lack in torque tho. I have had brushless systems in the past and they have always had gobs of torque. Just want to make sure it will crawl. I guess i'll wait and check out your video.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

A lower KV motor will give you better low speed control, but with these 4 Pole motors they have as much torque as you want but still gives you the ability to be quick if you want. Plus having the options on your ESC to program how you want the motor to run gives you the ability to set up your truck for the type of driving you want to do that day. Want to go crawling turn the punch down, retard the timing a bit, run on 2s, and practice trigger control . Want to bash then strap in a 3s, turn punch up, advance timing both in the ESC and on the motor if your motor has the ability to do that. This thing can crawl has gobs of torque but also can flat out get it if I want it to. This is all my opinion too some guys might not agree with me and thats fine. I mean sure if you are wanting to crawl there are better options but In my opinion it is possible to have the best of both worlds. Video is coming shortly getting ready to upload it.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Video is uploading now. Youtube is saying it is going to take 40 minutes or so until it is uploaded. It is 1080p so large file. I am driving with one hand and holding the camera with the other. I will do another video later today that shows how it performs when actually crawling over stuff. All I had in this video is a stump. But I will provide the link when it is done.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I run 3s only that's all I have. I doubt I would do much if any full throttle running the most I see myself using would be to zip around the parking lot or up and down a trail between rocks something like that.