Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Aluminum body panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Aluminum body panels

I was bored this weekend and made up a few sets of templates for aluminum panels for the Wraith. I work in the printing industry and have access to large .12mm thick sheets of aluminum.

I made a plate for the rear of my scx10 to mount the electronics and found you can use a razor knife to score and break the aluminum quite easily and cleanly. It takes some time and patience but I thought it worked really well. That's why I thought to make panels for the Wraith.

I have templates for the hood, sides, roof and the back. It uses the stock holes and some extra screws from one of my rc18 screw kits. Now I just need to take the time to cut the aluminum out and drill the holes.

If anyone is interested in trying to make your own panels I can mail you the templates. Find a local printshop and ask if they use aluminum plates and see if you can have or maybe buy one or 2, depending on what size presses they use. One plate off a 40 in. Heidelberg can easily give you enough to make 2-3 sets and leave you with extra to make any other panels you can think of. I have some ideas as well like hood scoops but I need to see how it all works. You can also double up the panels and use foam tape to layer them for more strength.

I will try and get some pictures up of the paper templates mounted so you can see what I'm talking about. As soon as I get mine cut out and mounted I'll post up those as well.

Anyone interested can PM me your address and I'll send them out when I get a chance.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Aluminum body panels

Seems there is some interest in this so I'm going to make up some templates in illustrator and make a PDF. Nothing is linger than 11 inches so you should be able to print it out in any printer and go from there. It might take be a bit to take the measurements and build the file but when it's done I'll post it up in this thread. That should be a bit easier than sending them out and should save me the postage.

Anyway I took some pictures of the paper templates mounted and one of the tray I built for the scx so you can get an idea of how it would look.

I can't attach anything but I'll put up a dropbox link to a zip file when I get to work tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Here is the link to the pictures I took last night. Not amazing I know but I was too lazy to bust out the DSLR.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...y%20panels.zip

Last edited by Farabomb; 03-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Great Idea!

I run a print shop out here in So Cal
We have Akiyamas and also run 12mil plates.

When you get that zip file up let me know!

Cheers John!

Last edited by Bada Bing; 03-23-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Bada Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for reminding me. I have to grab a few plates before I leave here. The ones I have at home now have been outside for 6 months now.

The zip file I posted above are just the pictures. I forgot to grab the templates this morning.

Yea, using a olfa razor knife and a straightedge you can score and snap off 12 mil plates easy. Just take your time.

Funny, you're in SoCal with a screen name of a strip club not far from where I work.

Aluminum body panels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To: Aluminum Body Panels by mjderstine mjderstine Paint and Body 6 05-01-2012 07:50 AM
Painting Aluminum body panels!! Mr.Tek Paint and Body 3 12-05-2011 09:11 PM