Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Billj's attemp at a Rock Racing Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Billj's attemp at a Rock Racing Wraith

I traded a extra scx10n for a pretty much stock Poison Spyder Wraith. The local hobby shop (RRW Hobbies) has a rock racing course. This is what i got the Wraith for. But i know nothing about go fast vehicles,lol. So i installed a tekin 13.5 sensored brushless motor, MMP (already had motor and esc), Savox 1231, Robitronics servo horn, SSD ti steering links, Axial universals, Gearhead lowering kit. I won some Rc4wd 2.2 wheels and some Boggers at Krawlfest, so that what i have on for now. I know i still need some metal links, and hardened gears. It came with some integy metal driveshafts, which will be ok for now. I also have a proline wraith bronco body for it any advice on setup or parts is welcomed. A couple of questions i have are... should i balance this like a rock crawler/scaler (front heavy), or more 50/50 balance? What would be a better tire for racing? I know the Voodoos are the best, but a little out of my budget. Thanks for the help

Heres a few pics from last Saturdays rock race. I was able to finish first, but mainly due to attrition. lol

billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Billj's attemp at a Rock Racing Wraith

Ssd-rc Trans will make it fly and some proline powerstrokes to take those jumps
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaryan654 View Post
Ssd-rc Trans will make it fly and some proline powerstrokes to take those jumps
Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I wish they had stuff like this in Indiana. I am not to experienced but you are going the same path I want to go.....I would def get some metal links I bought the axial ones and I like them a lot. When I first got them I took one out of the package and tried to bend it by hand. Couldn't do it so I was satisfied. I would get some beef tubes or metal housings due to the rear lockouts and the front chubs screws becoming loose often. Also I am planing on upgrading the chubs, knuckles and axle shafts. I am going to go with some form of CVD's for the shafts. There is a lot of play under stress in the knuckles and chubs in my opinion. I also upgraded my shocks to the Gmade XD103 piggybacks and I love them....I will be doing dual rate springs on them soon as well. Oh and put Robinson Racing hardened gears in the tranny. When I went brush-less I could not keep a plastic idler for more than 5 minutes. Well there is my .02 cents that is prolly only worth .0000001 cent due to inexperience lol. Take it as you will. Im still jealous of that course though!
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroutt19 View Post
I wish they had stuff like this in Indiana. I am not to experienced but you are going the same path I want to go.....I would def get some metal links I bought the axial ones and I like them a lot. When I first got them I took one out of the package and tried to bend it by hand. Couldn't do it so I was satisfied. I would get some beef tubes or metal housings due to the rear lockouts and the front chubs screws becoming loose often. Also I am planing on upgrading the chubs, knuckles and axle shafts. I am going to go with some form of CVD's for the shafts. There is a lot of play under stress in the knuckles and chubs in my opinion. I also upgraded my shocks to the Gmade XD103 piggybacks and I love them....I will be doing dual rate springs on them soon as well. Oh and put Robinson Racing hardened gears in the tranny. When I went brush-less I could not keep a plastic idler for more than 5 minutes. Well there is my .02 cents that is prolly only worth .0000001 cent due to inexperience lol. Take it as you will. Im still jealous of that course though!
I forgot to say i have metal gears in tranny already. I also plan on upgrading the chubs/knuckles as they break. Thanks for the advice. And yes RRW has a kick ass rock racing course. But its nothing compared to their scaler course. Heres a link to last weekends race. A small turn out, but they are just getting the rock racing going,
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&uploaded=233
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Very cool I would love to put something together up here so people that are into the hobby. I asked one of the parks if they would allow something like that to be built on their grounds. They said no. So I am on the hunt.... But yeah nice place you guys got down there.
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Put the Proline Bronco body on today. Looks ok, kind of a pita to mount up. Still gonna paint up a top for it.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Did the hood mod today. Came out ok. Went out to RRW Hobbies for a test run, wraith works good. I ran around the rock racing course for about 45 mins. The motor temp was 130 deg. Is this normal for a brushless tekin 13.5? Im just curious if my gearing is good. Im running 56/14 32p gears

Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So i changed a couple of things on my wraith. I upped the pinion from 14 to 16, wanted a little more wheel speed. That worked out well, was able to clear the double at my local course. lol And temps are good. Im also am trying some 2.2 trepadors. I liking the tires, still need to get some good foams for the tires. But was able to get a first place finish today

Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Im running the stock wraith shocks/springs with 30w oil. My problem is when landing off jumps, i get alot of bouncing. Is this a spring issue or maybe more a tire foam issue? The 2.2 terps are kinda firm, but dont seem all that firm. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like shock oil is to thin for the springs. I would try thicker oil. If you have some you could try softer springs but that may cause you to have a lower ride height.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

thanks nova
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

Nova what's the best wt to use on a 9lb wraith for slow crawling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dixon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I haven't played with oil weight in my wraith but probably something thin like 30wt. Some people don't run oil in shocks on their crawlers. You don't need much dampening while slow crawling.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

Oh really I'll try no oil out and see how it crawls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dixon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I got some Voodoo U4 tires and Crawler Innovations 6 bolt wheels. With CI two stage foams. I also installed some White knuckle Rc aluminum links. and a Axial rear sway bar. Hopefully i can learn to drive it better, lol

Last edited by billj; 06-25-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
when landing off jumps, i get alot of bouncing.
Change the shock valves to the parts that come with the Wraith to the adjustable ones (part #AX80033), go slower in rebound (but do it opposite to the way in the instruction book as its wrong). This way you can adjust your oil and spring rates to dampen the landing nicely, and it won't rebound. Think of the stadium super trucks and how they land. It'll help going fast over the rocks as well. Also are your rims vented? this can cause some of the bounce if they are sealed.
*newbie comment but I've worked with shocks on 1:1's

Last edited by DUWraith; 06-28-2015 at 11:11 PM.
DUWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I use 20wt oil in my ProLine Powerstroke rears on all 4 corners, CI double deuce comp cut 5.5 foams with soft outers, blue primary and secondary springs in the rear, blue primary and green secondary springs up front, rig weighs a bit over 10 lbs, running vented Axial Ripsaws, and about a half inch of preload on the right front and rear with zero preload on the left side. My Wraith is right side heavy and this preload helps with torque twist also. She sits perfectly level when static. I get zero bounce off of any sized jump and landing surface and she crawls great. Getting ready to switch to Rock Beast IIs and memory foam for more wrap around rocks and obstacles and just more grip in general. The Ripsaws slide everywhere. Fun for bashing but not for crawling. HTH
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUWraith View Post
Change the shock valves to the parts that come with the Wraith to the adjustable ones (part #AX80033), go slower in rebound (but do it opposite to the way in the instruction book as its wrong). This way you can adjust your oil and spring rates to dampen the landing nicely, and it won't rebound. Think of the stadium super trucks and how they land. It'll help going fast over the rocks as well. Also are your rims vented? this can cause some of the bounce if they are sealed.
*newbie comment but I've worked with shocks on 1:1's
Thank you sir. Ill look into the shock parts. And yes i have vented my tires.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I use 20wt oil in my ProLine Powerstroke rears on all 4 corners, CI double deuce comp cut 5.5 foams with soft outers, blue primary and secondary springs in the rear, blue primary and green secondary springs up front, rig weighs a bit over 10 lbs, running vented Axial Ripsaws, and about a half inch of preload on the right front and rear with zero preload on the left side. My Wraith is right side heavy and this preload helps with torque twist also. She sits perfectly level when static. I get zero bounce off of any sized jump and landing surface and she crawls great. Getting ready to switch to Rock Beast IIs and memory foam for more wrap around rocks and obstacles and just more grip in general. The Ripsaws slide everywhere. Fun for bashing but not for crawling. HTH
Thanks for the advice.

Billj's attemp at a Rock Racing Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
billj's first MOA build billj EnRoute Berg 576 07-25-2019 02:26 PM
billj's MRC build billj Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 260 07-09-2013 04:28 PM
billj's Fastback build billj Axial AX-10 Scorpion 280 11-21-2010 07:13 PM
**Rock Beetle-Extreme rock racing rig** nitromtcrawler General Crawlers 60 10-31-2009 01:24 AM