Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP hex fitment issue with VP centered rear axle shafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default VP hex fitment issue with VP centered rear axle shafts?

I bought rear centered axles for my son and I. I also bought clamping hexes in black and silver and a couple hex sets are machined a lil different and I can't get them to fit on the centered rear axle. Has anybody else come across this.

The hexes that don't fit the rear axle DO fit the front vvd axle and the stock axial axle. The axial brand axles also have a different distance from the front of the pin to the edge of the first tapered part. You can see on one pic the pins are in different spots ont the axial rear shaft vs. the VP rear shafts.

I called VP and they said that all the hexes they have fit and want to have me send back the ones I am having trouble with and they will get me some replacements that fit the centered rear axle.

*******VP is awesome they are gonna hand fit some hexes and rear axles to make sure my replacements fit perfectly. That's pretty damn good customer service. If you ask me********

After some more inspection the hexes also don't fit properly on the VVD's they fit a lil better but not perfect.

^^^^^^^^These are the silver hexes that have a deeper pocket in them and fit my rear VP centered shafts perfectly.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These are the black hexes that don't fit all the way down Also have a set of silver that fit the same way

This pic shows the difference in pin location from axial stock shaft and vp shaft.

The guys at VP asked me to use the wheel nut to try and push the hex down farther. Well I use a socket wrench and torqued so hard I broke the threads and the hex still wont cover the pin all the way.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-31-2015 at 11:08 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: VP hex fitment issue with VP centered rear axle shafts?

Pics of the back of the hexes with different depth pockets in them that don't fit my VP rear shafts

^^^^^^these hexes have the small gap between the botoom of the pin slot and the lil tapered section in the center. These will not fit my rear axle shafts without half the pin being uncovered.^^^^^^^^^^^

DO you see how the top set of hexes have a smaller gap between the bottom of the slot for the pin and the lil tapered section.
Bottom hexes have a slightly larger gap between bootom of pin slot and the tapered area in the center. These hexes fit my rar axle shafts perfectly.

its a very small amount but the pin is only a 2mm hex pin so if half the pin sticks out thats only a 1mm discrepancy

Also look at the size of the slot on the 2 sets of hexes bottom set has small slot top set has slot that goes all the way to the top to fit new wraith length pin.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-31-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am packaging everything up tomorrow and sending it to VP and they will hand fit some stuff and get back to me.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Good luck. Hopefully it gets fixed quickly.

Last edited by gbean; 04-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

I have some that fit the same way, also silver.
kcljr2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have figured out what it is its the axle shafts they haven't been machined down enough there is another thread on here that shows how the vvd's from vanquish are made and they look different on the end with the hex. I hope more people can post up their fitment problems here so vanquish can see this and send us new shafts they are gonna have to replace alot of shafts for people. oh I hope they don't keep my stuff for 6 weeks my son and I will miss our poker run and I will be pissed.
I have a set from amain here I am gonna have my buddy turn down on his lathe to make them work so I can use the regular hexes in case VP does keep my stuff for six weeks.

R6MAXX----another person with the same problem: Currie centered axle issue

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-31-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Good luck. I've been waiting 6 weeks now for them to get me a pair of grey centered Currie axle tubes. The package had a grey center and silver tubes. Ugh.
OH man. If my stuff doesn't get back to me before april 11 my son and I will miss our poker run we registered for and I will be pissed.

Its hard to explain to a 7 year old that you had to send their parts back and they can't go race.

So far people with rear centered axle issue:

mrhobby100
R6MAXX
kcljr2010

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-31-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Vanquish needs to fix the hexes and make them have the larger slot to fit the new larger hex pin axial is using and it needs to have the deeper pocket in the middle to fit the Vanquish vvd's and centered shafts. at times products need an update especially if the vehicle its made to fit gets changes from the manufacturer. axial has made their hex pins larger so Vanquish should update the hexes to fit. Vanquish also updated the shafts by giving a lil more meat at the end of the shaft near the pin. Hexes need another update. They are a simple design an update to these should be the easiest of all the items they make.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #9

I got your message mrhobby. Just sent VP an email. Thanks
R6MAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

no problem I also noticed that the hexes with the shallow pocket don't fit properly on the vvd either. was trying to mix and match my VP hexes to try and get crawling cause my son has been waiting 2 weeks for me to put these rigs back together.

Got my tax return and dropped $2,500 on Vanquish parts between ckrc/VP site/amain and the hexes which were the cheapest came all different tolerances and don't quite fit the VP shafts so I hope they help me out.

I have 5 axial rigs and was gonna update all them with some VP swag with my tax return so I got a lot of currie axles and hexes in matching colors coming in over the next week. I hope they work cause Rob at Vanquish is gonna think I am weird as **** with all these hexes and rear axle shafts. hahahaha
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I drilled out my stock hexes so that they'd fit properly. Problem solved. I like the beefy shafts.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I drilled out my stock hexes so that they'd fit properly. Problem solved. I like the beefy shafts.
They are beefy but they are machined wrong they just need to take a thousandth off just infront of the pin and the hexes fit perfect. But like I said I have 2 different batches of VP hex's that are made differently in both black and silver. Plus by fixing the rear shaft issue doesn't take away any strength the vvd's are super strong and they are machined correctly. The end of the centered shaft needs to look like a vvd. it doesn't.

You shouldn't have to modify a VP hex to fit a VP shaft.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

just talked to shane at ckrc and he said that the HOT RACING hex's fit the centered Vanquish shafts for anybody trying to get the centered shafts to work for now till vp makes a fix.

or if your lucky you will have a set of vanquish hexes that magically fit. I had to buy 10 sets of hexes just to get enough to fit my 2 rigs and have one pack of spares. the rest have to go back to vanquish .
I hope they can just throw them in the mill and fix them for me. so I don't have to wait for a whole new run.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-01-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Just talked to rob at vp. Says they made a change to accommodate the larger 11mm hex pin axial now uses but somewhere the machineing of the inside center of the hex got changed. The guys over there at vp are checking everything by hand now to get it all situated.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-01-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I've had a centered rear currie just sitting for the last couple weeks. After seeing this thread I opened it up to check the shafts and I got the same thing going on even with the HOT RACING hexes.

Vp hex

HOT RACING hex

Axial shaft vs. vp shaft, just a hair off.

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yeah That sucks every single VP centered shaft is gonna be off up till today now that it has been brought to their attention the new shaft will get fixed.. Yeah you will need to contact vp support and let them know so when they get replacements they can have your info ready. The shafts are slightly off. They also updated their hex's and those have been machined slightly off also. When I called at 2pm today Rob and the guys were working on a fix for these issues. Said they will contact me soon. Those VP shafts are nice and fat I hope they get them fixed soon. I really like my currie axles.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-01-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Found some proline rear slash 4x4 hexes that work. I don't have a part number, they are from an old project. Still no reply from vanquish so I'm just going to run it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

mrhobby100, what was your outcome on this?

I broke a shaft at the threads a couple days after my last post in this thread. i called vp to find out when the new shafts would be in and they said a couple weeks.

I just got a new set of shafts yesterday and they are the same as the old ones. I lost the proline hex I was using when the shaft broke so now I only have one hex that will work, which is lame because I have a set of four vp's sitting here.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
RCC Addict

They didn't change the position of the pin hole at all?
Seems like an easy fix, the hole needs to be moved outward about 0.3mm if I remember right.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
mrhobby100, what was your outcome on this?

I broke a shaft at the threads a couple days after my last post in this thread. i called vp to find out when the new shafts would be in and they said a couple weeks.

I just got a new set of shafts yesterday and they are the same as the old ones. I lost the proline hex I was using when the shaft broke so now I only have one hex that will work, which is lame because I have a set of four vp's sitting here.

Ouch...dangit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
They didn't change the position of the pin hole at all?
Seems like an easy fix, the hole needs to be moved outward about 0.3mm if I remember right.
X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

VP hex fitment issue with VP centered rear axle shafts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STRC rear lockouts fitment issue 1967Typhoon Axial SCX-10 13 09-08-2016 08:25 PM
Currie centered axle issue R6MAXX Axial Wraith 15 04-08-2015 08:17 AM
vanquish centered axle shafts to GCM centered housing compatibility npcaldwell Axial Yeti 7 01-31-2015 12:47 PM
Rc4wd centered rear axle otis683 Axial Wraith 2 09-15-2013 09:40 AM