Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Finally pulled the trigger...now what

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Finally pulled the trigger...now what

I got the Spawn on the way from Tower, I figure its going to start off as my quicker vehicle for now, and will develop into a BA crawler over time.

I also went ahead and snagged some ALU high clearance links and steering rods, a metal servo horn and the axial upgraded axles. Figure thats a step in the right direction, but then thats where Im stumped.

Having read Harleys guide, I find it a bit outdated and a lot of links are broken, so I start to wonder what current parts are "the best" ones to get? Is there a new medium between quality and low cost? Or is VP the only way to go still?

I figure Ill get the VP axles at some point down the road, but for now I want to get the biggest bang for the buck for the upgrades I need to do
REV666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Finally pulled the trigger...now what

MMP and brushless motor of your choice, 3000kv ish. ROC412, Pro4, Holmes, etc.

Wheels with sticky tires and CI foams.

Then fix what breaks.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

You'll probably break one or both knuckles in the first week. I'd buy upgraded c-hubs and knuckles. I run vanquish on mine.
IndianaFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Axial c-hubs and knuckles, beef tubes, axial universal axles, Robinson trans gears, 32P spur/pinion and if you go the ROC412 route MIP driveshafts and HD ring/pinion gears, that should hold up for a while
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV666 View Post
I got the Spawn on the way from Tower, I figure its going to start off as my quicker vehicle for now, and will develop into a BA crawler over time.

I also went ahead and snagged some ALU high clearance links and steering rods, a metal servo horn and the axial upgraded axles. Figure thats a step in the right direction, but then thats where Im stumped.

Having read Harleys guide, I find it a bit outdated and a lot of links are broken, so I start to wonder what current parts are "the best" ones to get? Is there a new medium between quality and low cost? Or is VP the only way to go still?

I figure Ill get the VP axles at some point down the road, but for now I want to get the biggest bang for the buck for the upgrades I need to do

I think you have the basics covered.

I'd get a BEC, and probably change the gearing. That's about it.

Fix what breaks, determine what YOU need. If you plan on VP axles, put the knuckles and C-Hubs off.

Personally, I've had great luck with STRC part's on both my Wraith and SCX10.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would pass on the VP axles, unless you're just going for looks.

The plastic housings slide better on rocks, and they're a cheap fuse in case of nigh speed mistakes.

Landed flat on the side from 6ft or so in the air yesterday, broke the housing and bent the axle shaft. $13 for a housing and a spare axle and it's fixed. Would have broken something much more expensive it the housing had transferred all that energy.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Harley's guides might be a little dated in some aspects, but they're still pretty accurate even with the newer motors and such out.

Better servo, motor and esc are likely going to be your next upgrades. Plenty of info out on all of them, take your time doing the research and make an educated decision.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Slw hubs are a must on the spawn. I just bought one and added the 350 hubs. They make it almost identical in width as stock just add about 1-2mm per side. Now I don't have to worry about the plastic pin drives stripping
Mollett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollett89 View Post
Slw hubs are a must on the spawn. I just bought one and added the 350 hubs. They make it almost identical in width as stock just add about 1-2mm per side. Now I don't have to worry about the plastic pin drives stripping
A good idea, but not a must. Even with a Titan 550 motor and Pitbulls I never stripped a pin hub. Keep those wheels tight, really tight.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Driveshafts. Either upgrade or buy spares. I run and pro4 and mmp and couldn't be happier.
robbiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you're going to do drive shafts, I highly recommend using MIP shafts. Damn near bullet proof. Should really do the motor & esc first tho.. the stock plastic shafts will last longer than the axial 20t motor & servo unless you put a lot of power to them right away.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Yeah mips are what I run. Haven't had any issues with them yet. I killed the stock ones with a quickness even after I modded them. Extra bearings or bushings are nice to have around also. Had a couple pinion bearings explode and without a spare I would've been down for several days.
robbiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What Sevastra said ^^^^ MIP damn near bullet proof, if MIP makes them for all my rigs, I have them.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think for now Im going to take yalls good advice. The VP axles are nice, but i want to USE this rig. a semi basher if you will.

I got the spawn specifically for its upgrades over stock, including the shafts. Im *hoping* they will hold up better, but then I never had an issue with the gen1 wraith.

I think what Ill do is something like the $50/week build I saw on here, just buy a few things here and there as I see the need. I do want to do rws eventually, but thats more of an end goal.

Im really looking forward to this.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a plan. If you've got any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
Sounds like a plan. If you've got any more questions feel free to ask.
I think the only other things Id like to know is if theres anything to do right out of the box?

on my old wraith, i did the front battery but didnt really like it there, and I dont think I will like it any more with the one piece body....

any good "free" mods?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
A good idea, but not a must. Even with a Titan 550 motor and Pitbulls I never stripped a pin hub. Keep those wheels tight, really tight.

I honestly didn't strip one on the spawn and just cranked em down extremely tight until the SLW's came. I replaced them because they blew out immediately on the yeti and I didn't want that to happen on the spawn while out crawling somewhere. You are right that they don't have to be replaced but it's a great reliability upgrade
Mollett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV666 View Post
I think the only other things Id like to know is if theres anything to do right out of the box?

on my old wraith, i did the front battery but didnt really like it there, and I dont think I will like it any more with the one piece body....

any good "free" mods?
I've only had mine for a few weeks,
Needs Servo Upgrade. I'm running a servo saver right now, before getting a servo that holds up for turning these big tires.

Mods I've learned about....Rear bottom shock mounts are flipped for lower ride height,
I flipped the rear top shock mount for different ride height,
Then I made new shock mounts for lowering the ride height,
My front bumper would land on my servo horn, may need to mod there..
I made a bumper too.
Adding my BEC this weekend.
Also reinforced the body top with glue tips, to prevent some cracking(if you run the body)
I put the different pistons in the shocks, My shocks are bad bad,,I will be getting new ones.
Radray is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally pulled the trigger...now what - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally pulled the trigger Burf RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 12-07-2014 09:26 AM
Newbie to 1/10 Scaler, finally pulled the trigger Watsonst04 Axial SCX-10 6 06-29-2014 11:21 PM
Finally pulled the trigger jason02ws6 Axial SCX-10 11 05-28-2014 03:32 PM
Finally Pulled the Trigger Numbcrawling Axial Wraith 28 09-02-2012 11:47 PM
well I pulled the trigger. bastard Chit Chat 15 03-17-2010 01:30 PM