Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: getting a Wraith Kit! have servo question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default getting a Wraith Kit! have servo question.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while. Thanks to all who have posted, I have learned a lot about what to do and not do. Tonight I ordered from RPP Hobby, I have heard good things about them so I look forward to a good experience. I think I got a good deal with the April discount coupon.

I'm starting with-
the kit version
Tekin ROC 412 3100
Castle BEC

My plan is to replace as I break things or as b-day/X-mas presents. (I have to give props to my wife here- I have been looking at a Wraith for some time. She finally asked me what I have been looking at- one she knew, she basically insisted I buy it. Yeah, she is very cool)

I have already a 3s 5000mah battery, Spektrum TX/RX and MMP ESC. I need to get a servo and this is where I have a question.
I see a lot of people use Hitec servos but I wanted a waterproof servo so I don't have to mess with waterproofing a Hitec. I was considering a Xpert 7701. It has good torque but I don't know much about them or if they are any good. And they are out of stock at Amain. Anybody have an opinion on this servo?
Or...
I saw a comment that Harley made about Futaba servos being waterproof, but I don't see that listed on their site or in any other documentation that I can find. Is this true and Futaba doesn't advertise it? I would certainly consider a Fuataba servo if they are water proof.
Or...
Man up and waterproof a Hitec 7954? If popular opinion thinks this is the best route, any tips on waterproofing it? I will be using Corrosion X for the motor and ESC.
Thanks again for all the help so far. Everybody seems very friendly and helpful so I look forward to joining the club!
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Default Re: getting a Wraith Kit! have servo question.

From everything I have read for a few months now..and having one savox wp servo on my new wraith..it looks like you have to wp a hitec 7955 or equivalent Savox..
I haven't gotten mine yet..I have been just bashing around with a servo saver till i get one...oh yeah the Wraith ate a savox and hitec metal gear servos so far.
Radray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

This is what I used on my Wraith kit build.
MG Chemicals 419C Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle, Clear: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I am very happy with the outcome and it's a "once an done" process. No need to reapply like the CorrosionX.

I tore my MMP, Futaba RX, Tekin Pro4 and the Axial light kits electronics apart and applied a few coats of Conformal. Everything lives in a electronic project box in the back of the Wraith. I still need to take down my Hitec 7950 and water proof that. Have not really tested this too much as it's been mostly snow here in the Northeast. I have been giving the Wraith a heavy rinse in the shower to clean things up after runs.

This project box fits perfectly in the back of the Wraith.
Hammond 1591LSBK ABS Project Box Black: Electrical Boxes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is the last servo I will ever buy. The best upgrade item I have ever bought. Works way better than I expected and has so many features its insane. Once the word gets out these are gonna shit on all the big names. $99 500oz and ip67 waterproof. Its aslo a smart servo has its own chips and sensors. at neutral it doesn't make noise like a typical brushless servo and on startup it beeps like a esc and cycles itself to find center and protect the gears from the jerk that other servos do when you turn them on. its so badass I wont buy anything else.
metal gears metal case and waterproof what else can you ask for. warranty too!!!!

Standard WR-7701 Waterproof "Mega Torque" High Voltage Brushless Servo

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-04-2015 at 10:01 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looper- thanks for the tip on the box. That looks like a good idea. Just to be clear, you put your RX and BEC in there? ESC as well? You waterproof each item with Conformal coating then put them in the box. Do you seal the box somehow or just close it up?

mrhobby100- the servos look really good. At the moment it looks like Viper's site is down and being reconstructed. Amain is out of stock. I might be good to just wait for them to come back into stock or Viper's site to be finished.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah i saw that. Ypu can call viper tomorrow and tell them you want the wr7701 i am gonna try that for my son. If not amain has the wr6601 they call it the 6000 series. Its still a huge amount of torque. Run it with the holmes rx bypass and ypu hook your bec directly to the servo and then crank the bec to 8.4 and will jave a ton of torque. My 7701 servo is a lil overkill at 500oz. I usually turn it down. Lossens all my servo mount screws gotta loctite and reaply every few months.

I think i got the last 7701from amain. Cause when i bought it last month my tax return came the next day and i tried to get one for my son but it was out of stock. Been waiting foor them to come back and i saw the site was down last night when i was tryin to find another one instock somewhere

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-05-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

They make a wr4401,6601,7701 all of them are great 4401 is still really good at over 300oz.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

does anybody know how long the Corrosion X lasts per application? Is it a length of time thing, or a number of "uses" how many times it gets wet?
What are the downsides of Conformal?

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

down side to conformal is it doesn't come off its noticeable there for no warranty.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

good point. My MMP is well out of warranty so no worries there. I would only be concerned with the BEC and the motor. BEC is cheap so no big deal if there is an issue there. The motor would be my worry. Tekin sells individual parts so worst case I could just get a part that fails, hopefully.
I dont plan on running submerged but there are creeks and water on the trails I am looking at so I want at least to be able to do creek crossings.

How has the Holmes Hobbies servo been for those that have one. Specs are good and it is at least splash proof if not totally water proof.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I taljed to john at holmes hobbies about this waterproofing when i switched to brushless. He said the motors arent a big deal they just need the sensors to be coated. He said Not alot of current running through the sensor board so as long as the sensors are coated as to not get fouled by the water your fine. The servos are kinda hard to do cause everything is so small inside. That's why i just buy waterproof servos. The esc i have one John coated and i have an esc i coated both work fine when wet.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Hobby authority is now the distributor for the xpert rc waterproof servos. They have the replacement gears and all servos in stock except the wr7701 its the most popular. They will have them back in Stock April 20 and the distributors will have them the week after. They also said to contact hobby authority for any warranty on xpert rc products in the US.

getting a Wraith Kit! have servo question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith* Mayday! Axial Wraith 10 02-10-2014 08:58 PM
Wraith kit question EMUTT Axial Wraith 10 10-09-2011 06:25 PM
Wraith Kit question USMCrawler Axial Wraith 3 09-17-2011 05:05 PM