Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Transmission output shaft screws loose.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Transmission output shaft screws loose.

I just bought the Hot Racing transmission gear set to install in my Wraith. They arrived today so I took apart my transmission (I built it from the kit version), and when I removed the output shaft, the three screws holding it to the plastic gear were all loose and almost just fell out, this after maybe 10 packs through it! Now I can't remember if I used the kit's loctite when assembling it, but I'm fairly sure I did. I know I can get a one piece output shaft to solve this, but seeing as how I just spent some money on the RR gear, I would like to use it if I can, so is there something different I should do to when assembling the output gear so the screws don't back out again, like use red loctite instead?

Last edited by flyboy320; 04-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Transmission output shaft screws loose.

you should be able to see if you used loctite. if the threads look clean then you probably didn't use loctite or not enough. That being said I've never loctited those screws and never had an issue.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

The kit thread locker isn't the best, but should work if it hasn't gotten old sitting on shelf in the kit box. If the screws or the output shaft had oil in the threads it will prevent the thread locker from setting. Those screws do need thread locker, if nothing else it's cheap insurance, but they can and will come loose without it.

Thread locker from Associated, Duratrax and Tamiya all work well. The automotive brands will work too, Loc-Tite, JB Weld etc., just get the "blue" or "purple" for medium/light duty and small screws. If you try to use "red" you'll need heat to separate the parts or strip or rip the heads off the tiny screws.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

OK, thanks guys. I have reassembled the transmission and I used some red loctite I had at home. I cleaned the old screws off and then heated the end of the screw where the old loctite was with a torch to burn off any residue of old loctite or oil. I know red is generally for permanent joints, but I figure there shouldn't be any reason to remove them now, cause if anything happens again with this part I'm just going to get a one piece output shaft.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Don't get the one piece output shaft they are known for breaking super easy and then you have to disassemble the trans every time. All us regular crawlers that go out at least 4-5 times a week stay away from those 1 piece units.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I wouldn't get a one piece. If you want a beefier output holmes makes some that fit standard size driveshafts. Just got some to convert my scx10 trans to work on a wraith skid.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

OK, I'll keep that in mind if I have any more problems with the output shaft. I thought the one piece would be a good idea so thanks for putting me straight on that....
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I super glued the piss out of mine after the same deal as you.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
I super glued the piss out of mine after the same deal as you.
LOL, I guess I ended up doing the same thing since I used red loctite...hoping they don't ever come loose again!

Transmission output shaft screws loose. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission output shaft upgrade Teasley4Crawlers RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 01-24-2015 07:40 PM
transmission output shaft :( meanbgreen Axial SCX-10 15 11-18-2011 02:41 PM
Broken Transmission output shaft sbarnesvta Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 03-25-2009 01:35 PM
Rear Axel Output Shaft Getting Loose... I SMOKE ROCKS! Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 01-12-2009 07:40 PM
Transmission output shaft MaXX_CrAWlER7 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-23-2008 07:39 AM