Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: U4RC Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default U4RC Wraith Build

Well in between racing/wrenching 3 short course trucks with my boys and a crazy work/family schedule, I've decided to get back into the shop and work on my U4RC Wraith based truck. This all started with too much YouTube time, some mockup AR60's axles and a wraith chassis I had laying around from other projects. This build will not have many factory parts when she is done. The power train is still being debated but I am leaning toward a Tekin ROC412 with Mamba Max Pro on 3s LiPo. I got the first batch of parts today from the brown truck and were starting with the VP titanium full link kit, VP knuckles, c hubs and lockouts, Fast Eddy bearing kit, Axial CVDs (VP is out of stock), MIP drive lines and VP Method wheels. Tires are still undecided but I have some PS BFG's for mockup. Chassis will be modified with a DMG stiffy kit. Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.
Attached Images

DzrtRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: U4RC Wraith Build

Made some progress last night on the build. Installed the complete Fast Eddy bearing kit, Vanquish knuckles, chubs, lockouts and Axial CVDs. To beef up the tranny I am going with the Robinson Racing hardened one piece diff and idler gear, which are on their way. A top shaft and one piece motor plate from Super Shafty are also getting ordered. I am looking for suggestions for a good aluminum tranny case. Here are some in progress photos. More to come soon.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Build pics.

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-14-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Not adding any photos this time since everything keeps coming in upside down. I am still waiting on tranny parts. Bit the bullet and ordered the front VP Currie axle and VP chassis servo mount. The VP Currie rear axle will be ordered soon. For tires I have decided on the Voodoo U4's. Electronics will be ordered soon. Completed the battery relocation and hood mods (PS Jeep hood for now). Shocks are undecided but I am running some Losi CC's for now.

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-16-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Not to sound negative, because I love VP stuff, the Curries are just too much of a pain to work on if you have to. I would have went with the VP AR60 housings if you wanted metal ones. Also don't think you will like the CMS. It tends to push the chassis instead of turning the wheels. But a great build none the less.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Lol damn upside down pictures, smart phone didn't tell me if I changed hands the pics came out right.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the comments. I installed the CMS today but am not going 3 link panhard. I can see how it would cause bumpsteer, so we'll see if that stays. Installed the Robinson Racing hardened gears in the tranny today. Just ordered the Mamba Max Pro ESC, Tekin Roc412 3100kv motor and Castle 10a BEC. Still waiting on other parts. I am considering a whole new U4RC chassis that accepts the wraith drivetrain. I don't think a stock chassis will last more than a few outings based on the way I race. Pics will be coming soon.

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-16-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

a cms not installed correctly with all the intended parts is going to cause adverse conditions. The setup actually works well the way it was intended to be setup. Its pretty much the exact copy of a real version.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
Not to sound negative, because I love VP stuff, the Curries are just too much of a pain to work on if you have to. I would have went with the VP AR60 housings if you wanted metal ones. Also don't think you will like the CMS. It tends to push the chassis instead of turning the wheels. But a great build none the less.

it only pushes the chassis if you don't use the panhard bar.
Its there for a reason connects the chassis and axle and keeps them at a set distance from eachother thru the suspension cycle. Trust me I build offroad trucks you gotta set suspension up the way its meant to be if you mess with it and just remove parts here and there its not gonna work and you will get frustrated. Every body who had an issue with the cms not working properly either was missing a piece or didn't line stuff up correctly. youwant the steering link and the panhard bar to be at as close of the same angle as possible or when the suspension cycles it will bind and push things outta wack.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. I will go ahead and order the pan hard. I really like the servo being tucked up in the chassis. Its looks awesome and will help keep my servo from slamming into rocks. Here are some updated photos that are not upside down. Nothing too detailed because I was not taking pics while working today but I will post more as the build progresses.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I see teeth marks on yur rod ends. Some people are claiming they are breaking rod ends easily on the revo stuff recently. Instead of using pliers which might stress the part where its thin. Place the ball on a table and then push the rod end down onto the ball with your fingers. You wont mark up the rod ends or stress the plastic as much that way and I have never broken a rod end yet and I crashed hard a few times this last weekend. Broke servos right off the axle broke a vvd and the same rod ends are still going.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Some more goodies just showed up. Gotta love Amazon 1 day free shipping. Still waiting on the Roc412, Currie axle and some other stuff.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
I see teeth marks on yur rod ends. Some people are claiming they are breaking rod ends easily on the revo stuff recently. Instead of using pliers which might stress the part where its thin. Place the ball on a table and then push the rod end down onto the ball with your fingers. You wont mark up the rod ends or stress the plastic as much that way and I have never broken a rod end yet and I crashed hard a few times this last weekend. Broke servos right off the axle broke a vvd and the same rod ends are still going.
That's a great idea and I will try that for now on.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Awesome start I'll be watching this for sure it looks like your going the same direction I have gone with my wraith
crawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
good catch, I never would have noticed & had to look real close!
Cammmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

A little more progress. Got the BEC and battery connecter soldered up. Decided to make it easier for programming and ordered the Holmes Hobbies Bypass Adapter for the BEC. Ordered the VP pan hard as well. After some fitting I was able to get everything under the hood with a hard case LiPo. All the wires will fit neatly as well. Can't go any further until parts show up next week. The brown truck feels like a blessing and a curse some times. The bummer is we have U4RC racing going on right down the road today and I am staring at a pile of parts.
Attached Images

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-18-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Completed some chassis work. The fastback supports are metal for extra strength. This body is just for mockup. I will be using the hood and repainting it once I get some aluminum skins. Just another step closer to U4RC racing.
Attached Images

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-19-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I could not stand the blue any longer. So I got a little paint work done. This is by no means my best paint work but it will do for now.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Got some more goodies today.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Time to solder up some new connectors. I am also going to work on fitting the electronics for the final time.
Attached Images

Last edited by DzrtRyd; 04-21-2015 at 08:52 PM.

U4RC Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darkstar's U4RC Tuber Build darkstar Axial Wraith 57 05-18-2015 10:27 AM
mallcrawler's U4RC IBEX build mallcrawler24 2.2 Scale Rigs 22 01-15-2015 06:00 AM
The Abomidable YETI U4RC Build.... scottanthony Axial Yeti 22 08-02-2014 03:49 PM
U4RC/KOH Build Stage 1 Tourettic1 Axial Wraith 7 06-01-2014 12:08 AM
Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith. 89redranger Axial Wraith 7 03-30-2014 08:24 PM