Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First Wraith kit build..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

Default First Wraith kit build..

I will soon be building my first Axial (Wraith kit) with a Xcelorin 21.5T motor/esc combo and I would like a recommendation for gearing and battery choice please..

I need good scale crawling ability and runtime, I'm not at all interested in a high top speed..

Cheers, Buzz.

Last edited by Mad Zero; 04-12-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Mad Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

Default Re: First Wraith kit build..

Forgot to mention.. my sister is really hot and I could get pics of her in the shower..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well you're in luck, because we accept bribes!

Shoot for a 5:1 ratio on gearing, if not a little higher.

As for battery a 2s 5000mah battery should put you in the range you're looking for.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I run stock spur and a 15 tooth 48 pitch pinion or a 11 tooth 32pitch pinion on a 56 tooth spur also 32 pitch
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

I bought these for just over 30 dollars a piece. Heard nothing but great reviews on them and the battery lasted longer than my driveline last week end and when I went to go store it, they were not even 25 % gone after a couple hours. Great for the price.

Good luck on your kit build.
Europhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

Cheers guys I'll see what I get in the kit and re-pinion/spur accordingly..

As for the build it will be pretty stock to start with (I will add wheel weights) until I see where improvements can be made. I have experience of building Clod, TLT and Scout based crawlers but this is my first Axial and I'm new to LiPo also as I'm still quite well stocked with NiMH so I have a bit to learn.. quite exciting really!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1santaever View Post
I run stock spur and a 15 tooth 48 pitch pinion or a 11 tooth 32pitch pinion on a 56 tooth spur also 32 pitch
My motor won't go close enough to mesh a 15 with the stock 80 spur..???
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Just file the motor mount. A dremel would work nicely.
B-radNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Nope, you will have to go bigger on the spur gear unfortunately. Even if you massage the holes on the motor plate a little bigger to get it to work, the motor will hit the transmission case and still not allow for proper gear mesh. Sorry bro! The upside is you will have much better lower gearing for crawling like you wanted too with a larger spur gear with that 15t pinion. I run a 88/15 with mine HR aluminum spur gear, and it puts me at 5.8 ratio, just perfect for my driving style on the rocks. If you really want to keep the 80t spur gear than get the 18t pinion and maybe you will be ok without modding the motor plate hole, proper gear mesh is a must.

Last edited by Revoasian; 04-18-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoasian View Post
Nope, you will have to go bigger on the spur gear unfortunately. Even if you massage the holes on the motor plate a little bigger to get it to work, the motor will hit the transmission case and still not allow for proper gear mesh. Sorry bro! The upside is you will have much better lower gearing for crawling like you wanted too with a larger spur gear with that 15t pinion. I run a 88/15 with mine HR aluminum spur gear, and it puts me at 5.8 ratio, just perfect for my driving style on the rocks. If you really want to keep the 80t spur gear than get the 18t pinion and maybe you will be ok without modding the motor plate hole, proper gear mesh is a must.
Yup, thanks for that.. tbh during the build it became more and more apparent that the Wraith isn't going to do what I want crawler-wise, it's far too top heavy even with weighted wheels and no seats.. besides they look great all detailed up so what I'm going to do is keep the stock gearing and get another motor/esc for it then use it more as Axial intended as a fast trail/stand-off scale basher for when I'm not quite in a Savage Flux mood lol.. the Losi crawler motor/esc won't go to waste as I can use it in my FTX Spyder based crawler project..

First Wraith kit build.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first kit wraith build Spence700 Axial Wraith 4 01-16-2013 02:42 PM
Wraith kit build Dslzuk91 Axial Wraith 21 01-03-2013 11:44 AM
Wraith Kit Build!! --My first flyingrc Axial Wraith 31 04-05-2012 09:56 AM
My wraith kit build - something different... Dneff13 Axial Wraith 0 01-03-2012 08:48 PM
Wraith Kit build NEEDS... Natedog Axial Wraith 10 12-23-2011 02:28 PM