Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Savox? Junk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Savox? Junk?

So I was out running my truck today and this happened, Twisted right off. How does this happen? Have you seen it happen before? How often does this happen? What can I do to prevent this from happen that will not negatively affect my performance? All I was doing is coming around a corner at a high rate of speed on a smooth surface (Ashphalt)...Then the steering gave way.
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Savox? Junk?

What model was it? Obviously it had taken a number of hits before.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Its a SC-0251MG and I have run maybe 5 packs through this truck and out of the 5, 4 of them were used for crawling with my buddies. The 5th pack which was today was a high speed day but I wasn't doing any crazy jumps for flips or abusing it in any way except for cornering at high speed.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It also appears that the gears in this servo are brass. At least they are brass colored. Except for 2 of the smaller gears inside. Why would they make the high stress part brass? Can you guys recommend a different servo that might be all steel and around the same price as this guy. ~40.00. and same torque 222 in/oz
Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would suggest 1231 but it is not in the price range
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Do you think I could buy the gearset for the 1231 and it would work in the 0251 case? My wife would kill me right about now if I spent that much on a servo. I am trying to get by with spending a little so I can get my beeftubes this week.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If you have a 1231 Would you be willing to disassemble and take measurements of that one gear for me. Spline count and height and diameter and such. And a picture?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

MG just means metal, SG for steel gear. Might just be one steel gear, but who knows.

That servo isn't exactly up to Wraith demands. Look for something closer to 400in/oz.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The torque of the sc-0251 has been just fine for me. I have not had any issue with what I use my wraith for. That being said I would love to go and drop close to $100 on a servo but cannot, I just do not have it like that. I couldn't imagine having a 400in/oz servo in my wraith.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Savox 1230SG's in all my rigs. 500oz at 6.v. Love them.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I too was reluctant to spend the cash for a servo ,it seems so small and irrelevant .but after i picked up a few really good ones,i am a changed man. the 1230 is a monster servo for decent money stop fooling yourself thinking a 20-40 servo is good...
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:21 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I am a servo killer. I've killed them all, even the HiTec 7950TH. I am going to let you in on a hard won RC truth: you can never have a strong enough servo. They could make one from Captain America's shield and I will break it. It could be powered by Iron Man's glowing orb and I will stall it out and burn up the amp. The only reason to buy a cheap servo is: you are broke and cannot live without driving your toy car. Wrap your mind around the fact that big bad servos cost huge money and get one. It won't last forever. But it will last longer than a cheap one.

I am totally over Savox as a brand. I know there are people here with great stories about their 1231 or whatever but I have killed so many Savox that I no longer even consider them. I would get a Solar D772 over a Savox any day. The only servo brand I can say I am impressed by is HiTec. I am currently trying out a JR 8711 but I don't have high hopes...it was just a great deal and had decent specs.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroutt19 View Post
So I was out running my truck today and this happened, Twisted right off. How does this happen? Have you seen it happen before? How often does this happen? What can I do to prevent this from happen that will not negatively affect my performance? All I was doing is coming around a corner at a high rate of speed on a smooth surface (Ashphalt)...Then the steering gave way.
Ultra-High traction surfaces, soft/super-soft compound tires and a fully locked 4x4 drivetrain are hell on steering and driveline components when turning, increasing the speed just makes it worse. From the picture is doesn't look like it was twisted off, but sheared. Impact shock isn't the only servo killer, pressure can shear parts in two if you were trying to hold the curve for a few seconds.

It should also be noted, a longer screw would strengthen the output shaft and might have prevented this failure. It's easier to shear a brass spline with a center hole than it is to shear one with an alloy steel screw in the center.

I say buy a new gear set and a longer screw and see how it does, especially if that servo has enough torque for your needs.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Now that is an inexpensive servo. Does anyone else have any experience with these? I had the idea of buying the gear set and using a longer screw. It broke flush with the bottom of the screw. So that is what I am gonna do. Thanks for the info as well. I wouldn't of thought that coming around a corner would put that amount of stress on it, but I am still inexperienced. That is why I post on this forum! Thanks

Last edited by Jtroutt19; 04-13-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
I am a servo killer. I've killed them all, even the HiTec 7950TH. I am going to let you in on a hard won RC truth: you can never have a strong enough servo. They could make one from Captain America's shield and I will break it. It could be powered by Iron Man's glowing orb and I will stall it out and burn up the amp. The only reason to buy a cheap servo is: you are broke and cannot live without driving your toy car. Wrap your mind around the fact that big bad servos cost huge money and get one. It won't last forever. But it will last longer than a cheap one.

I am totally over Savox as a brand. I know there are people here with great stories about their 1231 or whatever but I have killed so many Savox that I no longer even consider them. I would get a Solar D772 over a Savox any day. The only servo brand I can say I am impressed by is HiTec. I am currently trying out a JR 8711 but I don't have high hopes...it was just a great deal and had decent specs.

I also was under the impression that a $160 servo would take some abuse.
3 of those later, I decided to adjust driving style. Sounds like our experience is about the same. I just buy the 7950 and treat her as if it was the last known ancient book of knowledge of mankind. lol. I'm talking, my servo is more pampered then the queen of england.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I've killed quite a few Solar D772 servos just crawling...stripped the brass gears out doing what crawlers do...pulling the rig around with the front wheels. I've got a 7980 on the way and I will be using that on the XR10. When it fails I will send it to HiTec for a rebuild. I have a 7950 on the way to HiTec now. If I could have gotten my money right and held off on all the cheap servos I would have been able to buy several top tier servos by now...but I need to drive every day or my pineal gland starts to swell up lol.

The info about locked axles, 4X4 and sticky tires on asphalt is true. That's why road cars have slippy diffs. Locked up diffs should be run on the loose stuff or more than servos will be broken..this I know first hand.

You could invest in a $14 HR alloy servo saver I reckon...but I am not big on servo savers. That said I have one arriving tomorrow from eBay for the basher...a hard hit to a wheel at 20 MPH is almost guaranteed to strip out a servo.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I see no futaba on your list. Have you tried them? I love all of mine.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
I see no futaba on your list. Have you tried them? I love all of mine.
I probably should. I was looking at a high torque WPed Airtronics. I'm an equal opportunity servo abuser
Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I probably should. I was looking at a high torque WPed Airtronics. I'm an equal opportunity servo abuser
Almost all the high end futaba's are waterproof and brushless. The one in my sporty is over 3 years old and just as strong and quite as day one. I'd say to be fair you need to put the hurt on at least one high end futaba
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #20

It's probably not actually brass,

And it probably popped due to a defect, considering that isn't a normal location for servos to break.

lastly it could have happened due to inappropriate alignment. A: the cap screw wasn't tightened all the way even though you may have checked it, or matting surface was off due to a missing washer or the incorrect screw being used. Or the torque line was off, so that when rotational force from the gear is being applied to the servo arm and out to the linkage there was a miss alignment somewhere causing the force to be applied sideways rather inline with the arm. This can be an issue on large scale 3D airplanes and I imagine the same goes for a wraith. Everything should be in line and as perpendicular as possible.

Though I still would guess it's dues to a defect. Maybe contact Savox or the dealer directly and see if they'll send you a replacement.

Just mah $0.02
Mayday! is offline   Reply With Quote

Savox? Junk? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's my junk. 81 cj 7 Mayhem Eng. 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 4 03-28-2013 02:25 AM
Junk it or keep it? pmikeyg General Crawlers 6 12-04-2008 08:20 PM