Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servo Saver? Which One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Servo Saver? Which One?

OK so after 4 servos Original stock servo stripped gears, Savox servo broke the nipple that connects to the servo horn off, Spektrum stripped gears and then rebuilt that only to strip it out again. I have some to the conclusion I need a servo Saver for my little wraith.

So I am needing recommendations on what to get. I was kind of wanting a metal one only because I feel it will hold up to the torque a bit better but then again I do not know anything about servo savers.

So what can you guys recommened along the lines of a top of the line servo saver that holds up well to torque in the 220oz/in range. No I am not going to buy a different servo. I am rebuilding my Savox which the kit is on its way to me.

Oh and I strapped my gps in my truck the other day for a speed test. 55mph is my top speed at the moment.

Last edited by Jtroutt19; 05-04-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added stuff
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Servo Saver? Which One?

stop being cheap and buy a better servo
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My Savox is a good servo. The Spektrum was a $120 high torque steel geared servo a good friend let me use. The stock on was crap though I will give you that.

That aside do you always practice insulting people when they ask questions or are you just occasionally a dick?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Spend $100 and get a Holmes BLS400 Trail Master servo and don't worry about a servo saver. Your problem will be solved and you'll have more steering power than you can shake a stick at.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So the only difference between the Holmes servo and the spektrum servo is that the holmes is a Ti and the Spektrum is a steel. So you are saying that to stop stripping gears I "Have" To have a Ti geared servo?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Either way you go, crawl or bash you want a quality high torque servo. Take a look at the HiTec line up, my Savox 1230SG @ 500 oz. in. is yet to strip gears and I'm very happy with its over all performance for the money vs the HiTec, buy a quality servo and save yourself the I wonder when it will break or I wonder if this will work. Personally I swear by the Savox 1230SG and will use nothing else on any crawler/basher. A cheaper HiTec choice maybe the 5995, 7954. those may work for you and both have over 300 oz. in. of torque. Just my 02 cents for if your servo rebuild goes bad again.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Spend $100 and get a Holmes BLS400 Trail Master servo and don't worry about a servo saver. Your problem will be solved and you'll have more steering power than you can shake a stick at.
I wouldn't get this if you wan't reliability...
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Get a better servo and an aluminum horn if you're not already using one. The previously mentioned 1230SG is good, albeit loud and buzzy. HiTec 7950 is near bullet proof. ProTek 170 is a damn monster (fairly new servo in my collection so I can't speak to life). Regardless of what brand you use 300 oz/in is pretty much the bare minimum once you make any upgrades from a stock RTR setup.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Do you know how you are killing them? Is it hitting things at 55mph? If you're after speed and not just crawling grunt maybe a plastic servo horn would be better. If you have a few and you do kill it just pop another on. Keep on trucking that way to.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yes Im using an aluminum servo horn. Everytime it has happened upon landing from a small jump. Once it happened upon landing from only about a foot in the air. I rarely get the truck up to top speed. Usually i am running about half throttle and that is the highest I will go. Ive only opened it up all the way a handful of times and it was when I had nice long straight runs. I appreciate all the comments and I will consider a new servo but for shits and giggles are there any high quality servo savers?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

There are no servo mounted servo savers that have springs remotely strong enough to work in a Wraith. The Kimbrough high strength one is probably the best but under the force of a strong servo combined with 2.2 tires, it would be completely useless anytime you try to turn with your wheels even slightly bound up.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

exactly which servos are you stripping? what is the torque rating?
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
Get a better servo and an aluminum horn if you're not already using one. The previously mentioned 1230SG is good, albeit loud and buzzy. HiTec 7950 is near bullet proof. ProTek 170 is a damn monster (fairly new servo in my collection so I can't speak to life). Regardless of what brand you use 300 oz/in is pretty much the bare minimum once you make any upgrades from a stock RTR setup.
Really happy with the 170t as well.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroutt19 View Post
OK so after 4 servos Original stock servo stripped gears, Savox servo broke the nipple that connects to the servo horn off, Spektrum stripped gears and then rebuilt that only to strip it out again. I have some to the conclusion I need a servo Saver for my little wraith.

So I am needing recommendations on what to get. I was kind of wanting a metal one only because I feel it will hold up to the torque a bit better but then again I do not know anything about servo savers.

So what can you guys recommened along the lines of a top of the line servo saver that holds up well to torque in the 220oz/in range. No I am not going to buy a different servo. I am rebuilding my Savox which the kit is on its way to me.
I've been looking for, and contemplating designing one like this. I just can't find it for sale anywhere. Clearly mountd on a Wraith though.

Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroutt19 View Post
Yes Im using an aluminum servo horn. Everytime it has happened upon landing from a small jump. Once it happened upon landing from only about a foot in the air. I rarely get the truck up to top speed. Usually i am running about half throttle and that is the highest I will go. Ive only opened it up all the way a handful of times and it was when I had nice long straight runs. I appreciate all the comments and I will consider a new servo but for shits and giggles are there any high quality servo savers?
I broke my savox 1231SG the same way, not a jump just a bad landing in the front and broke the case. Replaced with a $12 Solar steel gear servo and broke after one pack (haven't diagnosed what broke yet but it only turns one way now) but it broke with the exact same landing
SynisteR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I run Savox in all my rigs, wether it be for racing, bashing, or crawling. This is what I have in my current Wraith.

Savox SC1256TG Digital Servo

It's lasted me a few years of pretty rough abuse without any sort of issues. Other than it being a little noisy I can not complain at all with it. A better quality servo will definately solve your problems.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have been running the Savox 1230 under hard abuse for quite some time no with no problems. Killer servo.
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Hitec 7954 over here, works great, no issues with breaking. Ya need at least 300 oz/in I hear in the wraith
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
I've been looking for, and contemplating designing one like this. I just can't find it for sale anywhere. Clearly mountd on a Wraith though.

Thats a HotRacing internal spring shock. Here's a link to some on Amazon
Amazon.com: Hot Racing TD120T01 Black Internal Spring Air Shocks 120mm: Toys & Games
Chainsaw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw10 View Post
Thats a HotRacing internal spring shock. Here's a link to some on Amazon
Amazon.com: Hot Racing TD120T01 Black Internal Spring Air Shocks 120mm: Toys & Games
Didn't occur to me it was just one of their internal spring shocks. Doubt the springs are anywhere near strong enough to serve as a servo saver. But they may be something I can work with.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo Saver? Which One? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo saver help savagebeast Axial Wraith 6 02-09-2013 12:05 PM
servo exploded today....and servo saver? SinCity Axial SCX-10 10 01-18-2011 08:20 AM
New Servo Saver bigdodge88 General Crawlers 11 12-15-2008 08:59 AM
Servo Saver for large scale servo.. Lunchboxer Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 05-11-2006 10:17 AM