Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: It's an Axial Wraith Spawn, for a guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default It's an Axial Wraith Spawn, for a guy.

Much thanks to Axial for providing me with the much more neat-o Spawn Wraith kit. I'm not usually a Wraithy kind of guy, but this one appeals to me, as the body is way cooler and has a more, I dunno, real appearance.

As with all Axial kits, it goes together really easily, with all the parts in the right bag and the correct number of screws. Instructions are super-easy to follow and anybody with some experience with kit building should have no trouble. There's some nice upgrades here over the RTR. Metal lower links, aluminum Icon-branded shocks, and front universals. The 2.2 Trepadors are some nice looking tires as well and are a welcome upgrade over the RTR's Ripsaws.

Here it is, all done!

That's a joke, it's not done. There's a bunch of steps that I skipped, as I won't be building this up as stock. The good folks at Vanquish make some really nice bits, and with that, I've decided to narrow the track width a bit and have put together a set of XR10-width Curries for this build. I'm pretty excited to bring it in a touch width-wise, which should help with the looks as well.

Much more to come!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: It's an Axial Wraith Spawn, for a guy.

Is that the same Spawn body for the SCX10? The RTR doesn't have those fender flares. In interested how yours is going to turn out. Are you planning to run the 2.2s with the narrow axles are switch to 1.9s?
kookie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I'm not usually a Wraithy kind of guy
I'm gonna have to go ahead and call BS

. . . from page 1 of the Wraith photo archive.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
tc1

Dang.........
tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
I'm gonna have to go ahead and call BS

. . . from page 1 of the Wraith photo archive.
Joke's on you. I broke down that Wraith, made a Jeep Wroncho, sold the axles, sold the cage, and was left with nothing! SO THERE!!!1111ONE

But seriously, that Wraith is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie31 View Post
Is that the same Spawn body for the SCX10? The RTR doesn't have those fender flares. In interested how yours is going to turn out. Are you planning to run the 2.2s with the narrow axles are switch to 1.9s?
That it is. I was surprised to see that's what they include in the kit but not what they show on the packaging. I'm going to be running tall 1.9's probably. Trapdoor's maybe? I've got a set lying around and they should look nice.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Since I had a free hour I thought I'd wrap up building the XR10-width Curries and put this back on the workbench. Then I realized I had to build the shocks next. So I quit for the night. I'll do the same when it gets to building the links. ;)

Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

wow making big strides in this build.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazysammi87 View Post
They look expensive
I never look at the bill. That way neither I, nor my wife know how much things cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
wow making big strides in this build.
Yeah, it's slow going. It's the whole, "I had to scratch build a Class 1 and finish a heavily modified Class 2 in the last three months" thing. I'm optimistic the pace will increase.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Looks like it will be a classy rig!

(I've tried to up the star vote. Don't see the point in a mean One star rating. If people don't like just walk away).
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Aren't those diff covers reversed and why do they even have 2 different covers for front and rear?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

It's suppose to be on the back it's a lpw diff cover
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lpw?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Looks like it will be a classy rig!

(I've tried to up the star vote. Don't see the point in a mean One star rating. If people don't like just walk away).
Thanks, but I care not for star ratings. They're completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Lpw?
I googled it for you:

https://www.lpwracing.com
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Now why didn't I think of that? Sorry. I'm new
I'm just psyched to know I can run the smooth covers on the front and rear now. Much better look to me. Just curious, why did you decide to run your lpw cover on the rear? Also, if you could post more pics of those beauties, you'd make my day. It says on VP's site that the XR10 tubes are compatible with scx10 currie parts but it looks like the XR10 tubes use the Wraith style C-hubs. Is that right? What link mount style do they use, Wraith or SCX? I just ordered a set of front and rear gray tubes so I can't wait to finally start building a set of these bad boys for my next rig. They're going under an SCX10 chassis. I'm really looking forward to seeing what direction yours takes. Off to a great start.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Looking nice.Are you going with the same paint scheme and logo like your VW..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Now why didn't I think of that? Sorry. I'm new
I'm just psyched to know I can run the smooth covers on the front and rear now. Much better look to me. Just curious, why did you decide to run your lpw cover on the rear? Also, if you could post more pics of those beauties, you'd make my day. It says on VP's site that the XR10 tubes are compatible with scx10 currie parts but it looks like the XR10 tubes use the Wraith style C-hubs. Is that right? What link mount style do they use, Wraith or SCX? I just ordered a set of front and rear gray tubes so I can't wait to finally start building a set of these bad boys for my next rig. They're going under an SCX10 chassis. I'm really looking forward to seeing what direction yours takes. Off to a great start.
Well, if I'm honest, I traded a body I had for this axle set, and the gentleman I got them from had put together the order as you see it here. I'm not 100%, but I think that the C's can only be Wraith as they're splined. Don't quote me on that. The tubes use the Currie link mount tabs - there's no differentiation between SCX or Wraith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Looking nice.Are you going with the same paint scheme and logo like your VW..
Thanks, no I've got something a bit different in mind - still sticking with an SBG theme though.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

So, after being lazy for a couple days I finished putting things together.

Now that the axles are on and everything is in the right place, it's time to start sorting out some electrical bits and bobs.

I'll be pairing this lovely waterproof brushless motor from Holmes with their Trailmaster BLE Pro. Also waterproof. For fun.

I met Werty at AxialFest this year and he was kind enough to hook me up with a sample of his bottle opener novelty plate for the Wraith. This will open many a Root Beer, thanks sir! These SSD wheels will be paired with the Mad Bull Pit Dogs and CI single stage hard foams for Dogs.

More to come!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Wink Re: It's an Axial Wraith Spawn, for a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I never look at the bill. That way neither I, nor my wife know how much things cost.

Yeah, it's slow going. It's the whole, "I had to scratch build a Class 1 and finish a heavily modified Class 2 in the last three months" thing. I'm optimistic the pace will increase.
I'm assuming that you don't look at the bill probably because all the stuff your using is all sponsors and you don't pay for nothing...Lucky B
QUOTE:Much thanks to Axial for providing me with the much more neat-o Spawn Wraith kit.

No biggie deal just saying....Would be nice if Axial can provide me with the Axial Spawn Kit i do the same thing....
Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
I'm assuming that you don't look at the bill probably because all the stuff your using is all sponsors and you don't pay for nothing...Lucky B
QUOTE:Much thanks to Axial for providing me with the much more neat-o Spawn Wraith kit.

No biggie deal just saying....Would be nice if Axial can provide me with the Axial Spawn Kit i do the same thing....
I'm not really interested in discussing my relationships with Vendors, but I will explain that my comment was intended as sarcasm. That can sometimes be lost in translation.

I spend an obscene amount of money on this hobby, just like everybody else.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Ya your right sorry bout that,just jealous that all....another topic another time....
But getting back to the topic is this really the body from the spawn kit if it is and the box top shows with cut off flares this would be like a surprise bonus to have the option with flare on or off.Like me I was thinking of buying this kit and i like it more now with the flares....
Even Axial doesn't show with the flares,just red body with no flares....
Again sorry about the last post......

It's an Axial Wraith Spawn, for a guy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra ascender, Axial wraith spawn or Trailfinder 2? outdoorsmanjw Newbie General 5 04-03-2015 10:23 PM
New Axial Wraith Spawn Owner floridaboy Axial Wraith 1 02-25-2015 05:52 PM
Imthatguy's Axial Wraith Spawn Winter Run imthatguy Scale Videos! 1 01-25-2015 07:49 PM
Axial Wraith Spawn Gurz29 Axial Wraith 9 01-09-2015 10:26 PM