Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Default My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build

Hi All,

I started a scratch build on a Wraith.

As I started building I realized that it might be a good idea to take pics to share as it my help someone else or others could give me ideas as I go.

I will add more pictures as I go

With that being said any and all comments welcome...

Radio - Airtronics MT-4
Motor - Holmes Crawl Master 13T
Gears - 32P 12T - 56T
ESC - Holmes Waterproof Torque Master
Castle 10A BEC
Servos - 240G MG Waterproof (Front & Rear)
Shocks - GMade Zero 124MM with droop kits
1.5 pound Springs

Battery Tray Moved to Front

Tray With Battery

Telemetry Sensors Installed Heat & Speed on the Motor & Heat on the ESC

Not Bad Travel!

haleymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

Default Re: My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build

Here's more...

Just waiting on my Gears

Texas Hill Country here I come!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! I'd love to do a 4WS conversion but I'm too new to this sport and I just don't know enough to have the confidence to try.......yet. You should post a vid of it in action. I'd love to see how these do in real time.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #4

Given that I just over heated and burned out a Holmes CrawlMaster, maybe I should look into getting and installing heat sensors too!
Odinthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just installed a HH crawlmaster also. I'm running their suggested 56/10 spur and pinion so I really hope I don't have any problems with it. If I do then I'm just gonna get the mamba max pro and roc 412 combo. I want to have fun with my Spawn, not be worried about taking it easy on the motor all day. That telemetry setup is very cool though. At least you can keep an eye on what's going on with your components.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Im using a CrawlMaster 13T as well and I'm in love with it super great low speed response but doesn't give up a decent top end in the process. Solid solid build so far i like your mounting of the RX box very creative. Do you have experience with those GMades, they look like nice pieces and my wraith is in need for some new ones.
emmett751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Very nice! I'd love to do a 4WS conversion but I'm too new to this sport and I just don't know enough to have the confidence to try.......yet. You should post a vid of it in action. I'd love to see how these do in real time.
Don't be afraid... Just jump in... that's how I learned... 30 Years ago

Videos to follow!!!!

Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinthor View Post
Given that I just over heated and burned out a Holmes CrawlMaster, maybe I should look into getting and installing heat sensors too!

They work VERY well and VERY quickly!!!!

The Airtronics MT-4 monitors Speeds, 2 heat sensors, Lipo voltage and Tx voltage with adjustable alarms on all as well as 4ws programming built in.

Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett751 View Post
Im using a CrawlMaster 13T as well and I'm in love with it super great low speed response but doesn't give up a decent top end in the process. Solid solid build so far i like your mounting of the RX box very creative. Do you have experience with those GMades, they look like nice pieces and my wraith is in need for some new ones.
I put GMades on EVERYTHING!!!! Great Shocks!!!

Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #10

I bought this "kit" (I'm using that term EXTREMELY loosely) for 50 cents at a garage sale in a brown card board box and this is no exaggeration... not one piece was screwed together and btw there were no screws or bolts with the kit. Everything else amazingly was there except electronics. I downloaded the manual and had the radio. Everything else I bought or made.

As for fabricating parts... The front battery tray was fabricated... The way the ESC and radio box is mounted is fabricated... And to get the amount of travel I now have I had to remove pieces from the front end for clearance of the front servo.

I'm calling it "Scratch" as it's the first time I've ever attempted anything like this.

I ran it in the back yard for the first time and I must say. 4WS and longer shock travel is the way to go. Makes crawling a great deal easier and expands your places to play.

I have $219.50 invested in this... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!

Dave
Old 06-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

50 cents, that's awesome. Nice find. I would really love to get more travel out of mine. Even with my longer Prolines, I seem to be limited travel wise. I'm going to be picking up a trailing arm kit soon. Hopefully that will get me where I want with more articulation.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I like long travel, but too much is bad. I normally run tsl xls with130 mm ax10 shocks on a lowering kit. It makes certain trailing scenarios better, but I find a lot of rock work or technical stuff can cause the higher cog to be an issue. I'm running 104mm losi shocks now at about half droop, and its far more capable, although it tends to high center on some stuff. Get those links off there for some metal ones, whether you make your own with threaded rod or you buy some. Its a huge improvement

Last edited by sdmf; 06-11-2015 at 01:23 PM.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
I like long travel, but too much is bad. I normally run tsl xls with130 mm ax10 shocks on a lowering kit. It makes certain trailing scenarios better, but I find a lot of rock work or technical stuff can cause the higher cog to be an issue. I'm running 104mm losi shocks now at about half droop, and its far more capable, although it tends to high center on some stuff. Get those links off there for some metal ones, whether you make your own with threaded rod or you buy some. Its a huge improvement

Good advise... Thank you

The soft 1.5 pound springs and the droop kit should help with COG issues... I hope!

Dave

Last edited by haleymon; 06-12-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #14

4ws is awesome and a great way to anoy your friends when on trail if you perfect crab steering. I'm running mine with a FrSky Taranis X9D flight radio so I have the sttering for front and rear axle easily controllable on one stick each.

Hope you have great funwith your build
SSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 PM   #15

Gees, that could be mine. 4WS, HH BRXL & 16T crawlmaster pro, raised shock mounts, MT-4s etc, etc. Nice one!

Last edited by DUWraith; 06-29-2015 at 08:00 PM.
DUWraith is offline   Reply With Quote

My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Build (from scratch) XS NOIZ Axial Wraith 12 09-12-2014 10:44 PM
Wraith knock off scratch build DonnieB 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 05-20-2013 08:42 PM
Wraith killer - IFS scratch build rock racer red_zook 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 05-19-2012 08:55 PM
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS BENDER Scale Videos! 21 02-18-2012 10:16 PM