Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Are wraiths easy to work on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Are wraiths easy to work on?

I'm thinking of getting a wraith in the future and I was wondering if they are easy to work on. I'm debating between a wraith and scx10 but I wanna do things like u4rc racing and customizing. And what would be a good solid axle u4rc rig? Thanks for the help
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Are wraiths easy to work on?

So this is coming from a new Wraith owner- simply, no they are not that easy to work on. I am comparing this to mostly race vehicles from X-Ray and Tekno, so this may be a little unfair. They are designed to be easy to work on during a race meet and to be honest, a lot of those race vehicles are very similar from one manufacturer to another. But compared to 1/8 scale race vehicle from Tekno for example, the Wraith is not as easy.
Mostly it just has a lot of screws and they are kind of similar in length so you have to be careful when choosing the screw.
I wouldn't let this prevent you from buying a Wratih though, mine has been a lot of fun and I haven't even been able to drive it yet. And I know that once I am more familiar with the lay out and set up, it will be much easier for me. Buy a nice power screw drive though, that will save a lot of time and arm pump.
These things are made for customizing as well. Tons of support, lots of folks make their own parts and chassis etc. If you want to go that route, absolutely get one. You can make a Wraith most anything you want.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think the wraith is slightly more difficult to work on than an scx10, due to the cage. Its easy to get around once you figure it all out though. Compared to many vehicles over the years from HPI, traxxas, losi I honestly think scx10s and wraiths are super easy to work on. Solid axles, with lockers mean less tiny planetary gears and fewer shims or small bits to loose. If you have worked on or with rcs in past years, you shouldn't have any issues what so ever. U4 usually means aftermarket chassis from mattzilla or the like. I don't see why you couldn't make a wraith competitive, although yeti with 2 speed could be better
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

The Wraith is as easy or as hard as you make it. 12 screws get the cage off. Find a driver that you can remove the driver from the handle, put it on drill, and you're good to go. Once you get used to that its easy.

Beef up your transmission and your axles (beef tubes or new axles) and it should be competitive. I have one that I beefed up and got a custom cage for and its right there with the rest.

Last edited by surgetek; 06-11-2015 at 06:58 PM.
surgetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm shocked anyone said they aren't easy to work on.

That blows my mind all you need is 3 hex drivers and a 7mm socket. How could that be hard?
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I guess easy or hard is relative. To me it is more difficult because there are SO MANY SCREWS with several screws that are very similar in size but just different enough to make a difference. With familiarity, I'm sure the Wraith will be easy to work on. Also coming from building kits from other manufactures, the Wraith kit instructions leave it bit to be desired.
Running electronics has been the most difficult thing to figure out for the initial build. Trying to find a clean lay out for the front battery placement, front mount ESC, running the wires under the dash and into the interior has been an interesting endeavor.
So yes, they are easy to work on, but more difficult than some other RC's I own.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My Wraith is not only easy but fun for me to work on but I'm a tinkerer. I love getting something this cool and modding the hell out of it. $1500+ later and I'm still having a blast driving and working on her. It's all relative.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

All Im gonna say is that Ive had it for 6 months now, used to be intimidated by it but its a piece of cake once youve taken it apart. Yeah it can be challenging with small areas to get into, but like stated before its like 5 tools.
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The wraith and scx are both easy to work on. If you're going to race in u4rc then you should start with a kit and build it up strong. There are classes for both rigs and they are both a ton of fun. The scx is more challenging but you may be surprised how much speed you can squeeze out of one.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I woul say it's really easy to work on... I Haven't had any experience with any other rigs though. Like it was said before, 3 drivers and a seven milly. Would be ridiculously easy if you had the hexs on a drill
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Compared to other Axial kits/RTRs, the Wraith takes a bit more to work on because of the motor location. But this is the
sacrifice for design and scale looks.
1SweetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Accessing the motor/trans is slightly more annoying than the scx due to being up inside the chassis... but 4 bolts and the skid is out. I don't know of anyone that runs all 8 bolts on the skids.. Just the outer 4.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote