Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Ssd Steering linkage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ssd Steering linkage

So I've had various steering linkages. Liking the SSD one. Nice titanium quality.
The problem im having is it's too wide . So the toe angle is off.
Using vanquish knuckles.

I am considering putting different rod ends on to set the toe accurately. Anyone else have this issue?
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #2
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ssd Steering linkage

I read this and just compared a set against the stock steering link. They are the same.

There is a chance the plastic rod ends are slightly (0 - 0.3mm) longer than they should be due to manufacturing tolerances.
The easiest fix is remove the rod ends and M3 thread then shave a tiny amount off each rod end with a hobby knife.

I dont know about your knuckles but the above fix will solve the issue anyway and you dont need to buy any different rod ends.

Last edited by SSD; 06-23-2015 at 02:38 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the answer. Perhaps I just got one that's slightly longer then spec.
Shaving the rod end is a good idea, i'll look into that. Feel foolish for not thinking of it myself. Haha
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have the same issue. With the regular Vanquish knuckles, the rod end has to be shaved (just shave one side approximately 1 mm). I also found out that the steel balls in the link ends don't fit into Vanquish scale knuckles; I replaced the SSD steel balls with Traxxas balls. The link ends will also be correct and work without having to shave the length. With all that being said, the SSD link hits the AR60 axle truss when turning left before the steering radius maxes out. I tried it on my VP Currie axle with scale knuckles and the Ti rod hits the axle truss too, but at about the same time the steering reaches it's maximum radius; I just don't like that there isn't any clearance at this point (pet peeve)!

The drag link is VP Ti and you can see the difference in the tube diameter with the SSD's Ti in the pics below. VP 4.7625 mm vs SSD 6 mm

I'm not putting down SSD products, I'm simply just passing on my observations for others to be aware of.

If I were to give SSD a somewhat educated opinion as to what to do to improve this part, I would suggest that the bend on the passenger side be less of an angle resulting in a longer angle section and a shorter straight section on the passenger side. Hopefully that makes sense. The one thing I do like about the SSD linkage is the "pumpkin bulge section" to make it unique.

bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

I know that it doesn't touch anywhere on our Diamond axle but I will have to look into the clearance using the stock truss. It may be that tires start to touch the lower links at that point anyway...I will look into it.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Diamond axles are on my wish list! These large Flat Iron XL tires don't touch the lower links at full turn, there's an intentional EPA distance of 5 mm set.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

SSD....the other thing to keep in mind is that most folks are likely going to clock their front axle to give a better pinion angle for the driveshaft. This rotates the truss forward a tad which could cause clearance issues. This should be factored in with the overall design of the steering links.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

^ this.
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I will also chime in an say that I noticed last night how the bottom link hits the stock truss on a stock AR60 under full steering for me, so I had to change my endpoints to 100% right and 92% left for example. Really not a drastic difference but it's there, and I basically had the same idea as bilinvic
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Ssd Steering linkage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering linkage sandrocks Axial Wraith 5 12-05-2012 10:56 PM
steering linkage help smiley-1988 Newbie General 5 08-23-2011 10:22 AM
steering linkage sam.oc235 Axial SCX-10 6 01-24-2011 04:31 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Steering Linkage Flash General Crawlers 4 09-11-2008 06:36 PM